Is DVD Pricing Holding Blu Ray Back by Don Reisinger - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 PM

Default Is DVD Pricing Holding Blu Ray Back by Don Reisinger

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10...html?tag=mncol

Love to hear everyones feedback on this.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by princedvd View Post

Love to hear everyones feedback on this.
No opinion really, but just waiting for

Gotta love these threads.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 PM

People who refuse to look at history, will continually use their impatience as a guide for what pricing should be. As is, blu-ray pricing is lower than VHS and DVD pricing for software during the same time periods in their development cycles.

I'm personally paying less than 20 dollars for most of the titles I've bought in the last 6 months with some exceptions. I am patient, however, but that works for me.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:39 PM

I seem to remember that some insiders were saying that some studios want to try different methods for pricing BDs. I think we are already seeing it with new release 'sale' pricing not being much of a 'sale' anymore. To get good deals, the consumer who is willing to wait typically ends up with far better deals.

Here's the most recent example, Madagascar 2 was $27.95 at Amazon during the pre-order period until less than two weeks after its release it is now $19.99. So I finally ordered it today and I also threw in a new Warner title, Amadeus that just came out last week that is nearly $10 less this week than its new release price last week.

BD consumers are catching on to these practices. Fox is a prime example with their extremely high priced catalog that typically you find deals/bundles (BOGO, B2G1, etc) that make the average price per BD fall into a much more tolerable range.

The every day discount hungry customers are not going to flock when some high profile titles carry stickers of $35 for everyday pricing.

Yes BD is a premium product, but DVD is also becoming a devalued product. Personally I think they should stop releasing the 2-disc Special Edition DVD sets. I think part of that is to make it look like BD is only a little more than that upgraded DVD product. BUT the big problem is that 2-disc DVD set and BD release which typically has all the content of the 2-disc DVD set (maybe even more) are competing for the same consumer.

The people currently buying BD are same customers who typically bought the 2-disc sets over a single disc release at least on most high profile releases.

Get rid of the 2-disc DVD set. Price a standard 1-disc DVD between $14.99 and $19.99 and then price the BD with the extra content no more than $5 more. BD still looks like a premium product and consumers still feel they are getting extra value for their money.

Last edited by CaW; 02-17-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:43 PM

I believe the prices are lower later because they are not moving enough inventory. Soon or later the BD folks are going to get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaW View Post
I seem to remember that some insiders were saying that some studios want to try different methods for pricing BDs. I think we are already seeing it with new release 'sale' pricing not being much of a 'sale' anymore. To get good deals, the consumer who is willing to wait typically ends up with far better deals.

Here's the most recent example, Madagascar 2 was $27.95 at Amazon during the pre-order period until less than two weeks after its release it is now $19.99. So I finally ordered it today and I also threw in a new Warner title, Amadeus that just came out last week that is nearly $10 less this week than its new release price last week.

BD consumers are catching on to these practices. Fox is a prime example with their extremely high priced catalog that typically you find deals/bundles (BOGO, B2G1, etc) that make the average price per BD fall into a much more tolerable range.

The every day discount hungry customers are not going to flock when some high profile titles carry stickers of $35 for everyday pricing.

Yes BD is a premium product, but DVD is also becoming a devalued product. Personally I think they should stop releasing the 2-disc Special Edition DVD sets. I think part of that is too make it look like BD is only a little more than that upgraded DVD product. BUT the big problem is that 2-disc DVD set and BD release that typically has all the content of the 2-disc DVD set (maybe even more) are competing for the same consumer.

The people currently buying BD are same customers who typically bought the 2-disc sets over a single disc release at least on most high profile releases.

Get rid of the 2-disc DVD set. Price a standard 1-disc DVD between $14.99 and $19.99 and then price the BD with the extra content no more than $5 more. BD still looks like a premium product and consumers still feel they are getting extra value for their money.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Hmmm . . .

Quote:
Even rentals are more expensive
But it doesn't just end with sales. Rentals are also more expensive. In fact, Redbox, the rental company that puts kiosks in stores around the country and allows customers to rent a film for $1 per day, announced last week that its current Blu-ray pricing model of $1 per day isn't working and it would be forced to raise the price of Blu-ray rentals. The company's executives wouldn't say how much more the company would charge for Blu-ray.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaW View Post

Yes BD is a premium product, but DVD is also becoming a devalued product. Personally I think they should stop releasing the 2-disc Special Edition DVD sets. I think part of that is to make it look like BD is only a little more than that upgraded DVD product. BUT the big problem is that 2-disc DVD set and BD release that typically has all the content of the 2-disc DVD set (maybe even more) are competing for the same consumer.

Approx. 60% of the USA doesn't have an HDTV. The % is higher in other countries. IMO - you are throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM

Wow. I can't believe how poorly that article is written! His premise does not fit with his own conclusion. He starts by saying the problem is that DVD's low price is hurting Blu-ray and then uses as part of his "proof" the fact that DVD sales are dropping!

Is it not possible (if not probable) that demand for DVD is simply dropping too fast due to the economy and mediocre titles and a shift to other viewing models (rental/PPV) or formats (digital delivery, Blu-ray) for Blu-ray alone to make up the difference? A year ago, Blu-ray had less than a 5% marketshare... Over the year DVD fell 10-20%--that would require Blu-ray to grow at least DOUBLE the record breaking rate DVD ever did to make up the difference! The most pie in the sky uber optimistic hopes for Blu-ray was 500% growth (I don't think DVD ever had more than a 400% growth spurt)--and that wouldn't have been enough to make up for the losses of DVD.

This article boils down to a gripe session that Blu-ray discs cost a little more than DVD. The problem is that the "evidence" he gave is actually a reason why Blu-ray prices should increase--I'm not saying they should, but if Blu-ray is going to make up for DVD's decline they would have to charge more per disc!

As pointed out by others, Blu-ray prices are considerably lower than DVD was at the same point in its lifecycle. There were more Blu-ray discs sold in 2008 than DVDs sold at the same point, yet DVD revenue was higher. That means that DVD was more expensive!

Epic Fail.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Approx. 60% of the USA doesn't have an HDTV. The % is higher in other countries. IMO - you are throwing the baby out with the bath water.
I actually agree with you here. You don't "fix" this by dropping special features.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Well, I would like to see percentages comparing ratios between releases that had 1-DVD, 2-DVD, and a BD release. It would be interesting to see how well the 2-DVD is selling compared to the BD. It would be interesting to see if these 2-DVD sets are even worthwhile now that BD has established itself as a format that delivers the best quality.

HD is the future. IMHO, the 2-DVD and the BD are marketed to the same buying segment.