BD live missing the boat still. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-13-2009, 11:28 AM

Default BD live missing the boat still.

Im a little shocked as of late with how BD Live is truly missing a great opurtunity to exploit the Blu Ray format.

There a slew of movies coming out this year that are hotly anticipated such as Transformers 2 and Watch Men. Yet we have no trailers for them on any of our BD live discs.

Where are the obviously easy ideas such as maybe even advertising exclusive content for the upcoming movie availble only on the BD-live section of the previous movies disc. Transformers or 300 should have trailers of the next film dont you think ( watchmen done by the 300 director )

Example : If you market that weeks before the official release of the trailer in theaters or on TV the sequels trailer will be available to download on the previous movies BD Live section.

Wouldnt you think that would be an easy way to get peoples attention and also make BD live interesting alot quicker.

Either way I was curious to see what your takes are. I love all the discs I have with BD live it gives me good reason to put the disc back in after wathcing the movie to death.

Its just disappointing they are missing an easy slam dunk like this. Somebody send a letter to the studios I still want the trailer on my player
Old 02-13-2009, 11:32 AM

why not just stick the trailers somewhere like apple/quicktime so everybody (with a net connection) can see them

dont think i'd be bothered to flick through my discs to see the next in series or from the director (etc)
Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

Interesting you cite Transformers which has a TON of BD-Live stuff on it.

Sounds like you're mad you can't watch more commercials with it?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:50 PM

I think the OP makes a good point.

Sure you can watch trailers just as easily elseware......but why not add them to the BD-Live content on these discs......It would seem to be a no brainer for the studios ????

Trailers, production diarys....these would seem to be obvious things to add to the first films downloadable content when the sequal is comming out.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
I think the OP makes a good point.

Sure you can watch trailers just as easily elseware......but why not add them to the BD-Live content on these discs......It would seem to be a no brainer for the studios ????

Trailers, production diarys....these would seem to be obvious things to add to the first films downloadable content when the sequal is comming out.
Studios with a general portal like Sony and Universal already do this.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:03 PM

Once I realized it took me 5 minutes to load up my disney discs, bd-live has since been turned off.

I will revisit this in 2 years with a new player. Until then, unless something major is on bd-live like encrypted key downloads and stuff like that, I don't plan on logging on until I get a new player that's a lot faster.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic View Post

true, But I believe they are the only two. It would seem to make sense for them all to do it.

Also with the general portal its hardly targeted to the film you are watching. Just a selection of upcoming features to browse through.

Maybe the site could look at the disc you are watching and put the material for that movies sequal to the top of the list?
Old 02-13-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic View Post
my point is this BD live could absoluetly be exploited here with this idea to generate larger awareness and actually you know maybe make the format even more attractive to consumers.

Yes I friggin love BD live actually scrap that I love exclusive movie content. When you consider that sometimes content is not available or present at the time of disc release BD live helps bridge that gap.

I present this to you: Star Wars ep 1 - 3 when released on DVD had a feature that with the disc in your computers DVD drive you would get access to advanced information on the sequel coming up next along with addional materials about the making of the movies via a website. The DVD essentially was a key to a live community and evolving informations

This is a huge opurtunity and furthers the format's image as something more than just a hi res DVD.

If you cant/don't understand the benefits web enabled discs brings thats fine but personally when I want to know about a movie going to come out it would be pretty awesome to put the previous disc in my player and pull up trailers and images before anyone else can as its not released on the web or in theaters yet.

Btw the Blu Ray bd live on transformers pales in comparison to the HD-DVD version there is half the content. lol
Old 02-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektsilver View Post
my point is this BD live could absoluetly be exploited here with this idea to generate larger awareness and actually you know maybe make the format even more attractive to consumers.

Yes I friggin love BD live actually scrap that I love exclusive movie content. When you consider that sometimes content is not available or present at the time of disc release BD live helps bridge that gap.

I present this to you: Star Wars ep 1 - 3 when released on DVD had a feature that with the disc in your computers DVD drive you would get access to advanced information on the sequel coming up next along with addional materials about the making of the movies via a website. The DVD essentially was a key to a live community and evolving informations

This is a huge opurtunity and furthers the format's image as something more than just a hi res DVD.

If you cant/don't understand the benefits web enabled discs brings thats fine but personally when I want to know about a movie going to come out it would be pretty awesome to put the previous disc in my player and pull up trailers and images before anyone else can as its not released on the web or in theaters yet.

Btw the Blu Ray bd live on transformers pales in comparison to the HD-DVD version there is half the content. lol
I, nor practically anyone else, ever really bothered with DVD-ROM stuff.

As for content for sequels, I don't have anything against it but I doubt a studio would go through the trouble of posting a new trailer just on BD-Live for people with the previous film on BD. They're pretty anctious to get those things out to the general public.

As for Transformers BD vs. HD DVD. The only thing I know of missing from the BD are those really retarded :30 - 1:00 test videos with mechanical bugs and other nonsense that are pretty painful to watch.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:05 PM

I'll admit, Disney no matter how much they suck at implementation, has the right idea... They have a generic portal that goes on all BD's, but that portal still customizes it's self some to the movie... so prince caspian has very caspian appropraite content available on BD-Live, wall-e the same so and and so forth. If they could make it all work that would be nice.