Grave Robbing: Finding treasures with a dead format. - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: What's the best way to go "Purple" now?
Build a HTPC with Add-on or combo drive. 7 4.70%
Buy a new/used Xbox 360+Add-on. 11 7.38%
Buy a used standalone or combo player. 53 35.57%
Forget it. Let HD DVD rest in peace and leave the firesales to the fanboys. 78 52.35%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2009, 02:21 PM

Default Grave Robbing: Finding treasures with a dead format.

Okay, for the sake of smackdown, the official "topic" for this thread is discovering hidden gems of defunct technology. During the height of the format war, I told myself (and posted accordingly) that I would not "go purple" as it could be construed as an action to prolong the war, but once the war was over it wouldn't be so bad (and if HD DVD been able to win, necessary) to possibly then go purple.

Well, for me that day has finally come...and I could really use a little help/advice. I found a deal at Fry's to get a 360 Add-on (w/ King Kong) along with Season 1 of Heroes & Season 1 of Battlestar Galactica on HD DVD for $49.99. Considering that either of the TV series boxes retails for $49.99 each on DVD, this was an offer I could not refuse. ...but here's the trouble: I don't have a 360, and when I just tried connecting it, it seems my laptop doesn't quite have the power to decode HD DVD well enough so I'm going to have to go another route. I've got a couple options, so I'll make a poll of this and ask for everyone's advice:

1. Upgrade a PC to HTPC specs. I like this option but it'd be a pretty big undertaking, and most HTPC functions I'm interested in are already available to me via the PS3.
2. Purchase an Xbox 360. This is my most likely choice at this point. It would round out the collection here, allow me to utilize the add-on as intended, and its the one option I can find in stores.
3. Purchase a used standalone HD DVD player. This one is quite tempting for the easier jump to HDMI audio than the previous 2 options, and I'd like to see the DVD upconversion for myself. If you think I should go this route, let me know which Toshiba player and I'm open to your buying advice (where to get it, what to pay, etc.)
4. Bag the whole thing and move on. HD DVD is dead, let it rot.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

I think you need a special (i.e. paid) program for the 360 AO to work on a PC. Ive never done it...so not too sure. You can grab a used HD DVD player for $50 on Craigslist if you look. I've sold about 7 in the past 2 months anywhere from $50-$250.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
I think you need a special (i.e. paid) program for the 360 AO to work on a PC. Ive never done it...so not too sure. You can grab a used HD DVD player for $50 on Craigslist if you look. I've sold about 7 in the past 2 months anywhere from $50-$250.
It took a couple hours of fiddling with it to get it to work at all, and once it did, the picture stuttered too much to be worth watching. I wouldn't get any type of audio through this laptop than analog stereo either, so its just not a good option.

Like I said in the OP, right now I'm most leaning toward the 360, but I'll look at Craigslist.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:36 PM

I'd rather recommend investing into a multi-region BD player as there are far more treasures to be found on BD overseas now as there are any on HDDVD.

Pro-B
Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 PM

Thulium, I've been in your situation and after discussing it with my wife. I returned everything.

Basically, we don't have the room to have another piece of hardware on board. The lossless audio is important to me and hard to finagle through the HTPC solution, unless you dump in a bit more money.

Other than that, it's possibly archiving the HD DVD movies via rip, and possibly burning later to BD, but that's illegal and secondly, it costs a lot more money.

In the end, unless you have the space for a cheap standalone. I think you need to bag it.

I would not bother with an Xbox360, unless you already have one.

If you're like me, I've having difficulty shelving all my media as it is and to take some of that and put hardware, it's a big problem.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulium View Post
It took a couple hours of fiddling with it to get it to work at all, and once it did, the picture stuttered too much to be worth watching. I wouldn't get any type of audio through this laptop than analog stereo either, so its just not a good option.

Like I said in the OP, right now I'm most leaning toward the 360, but I'll look at Craigslist.
If you look at the HD/BD software player sites, they'll list the minimum PC requirements. I got a good deal on the add-on player some time back, but then when I looked at it, it was going to cost me at least $500 to upgrade my HTPC to a fast enough processor and video card. And my HTPC is already pretty adequate; I have an HDTV tuner card and can watch & record HD programming, and output with my All In Wonder card up to 1080i. So I ended up just selling the add-on, I have 2 standalone players.

But you're thread topic is dead-on, their are many "hidden treasures" on HD DVD. You can buy many HD DVDs for less than the standard DVD. I recently bought the Mission Impossible Trilogy for $19.95 shipped.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-bassoonist View Post
I'd rather recommend investing into a multi-region BD player as there are far more treasures to be found on BD overseas now as there are any on HDDVD.

Pro-B
Don't take his advice. Apparently the 500+ USA HD DVD catalog plus another 100 (if not more) HD DVD imports are nothing compared to the dozens of Blu-rays you could import and (hopefully) enjoy if they have English tracks/subtitles. Keep in mind some of the BD imports have identical, cheaper, HD DVD versions as well. Not only that, Region Free BD players are a bit expensive and when modded to be region free removes the warranty. There are several players you can get made region free...but I'm not sure how well they work.

What you could do is get an LG 200 which plays HD DVDs and any region Blu-ray (and any region DVD)
Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Don't take his advice. Apparently the 500+ USA HD DVD catalog plus another 100 (if not more) HD DVD imports are nothing compared to the dozens of Blu-rays you could import and (hopefully) enjoy if they have English tracks/subtitles. Keep in mind some of the BD imports have identical, cheaper, HD DVD versions as well.

What you could do is get an LG 200 which plays HD DVDs and any region Blu-ray (and any region DVD)
Here's an offer for you: from those 500+ titles that you mentioned above, list here what is so important to own (exclusive HDDVD titles) that one would be forced to buy an HDDVD player instead of investing into a region-free BD player that would significantly broaden its access to current and upcoming BD titles.

(Do your research well this time so you do not get smacked like you were yesterday with your 10% claim).

Pro-B
Old 02-12-2009, 02:45 PM

I'm purple, and I'd rather have a region free blu player hands down.
there are a ton of upcoming releases that I would love to be able to watch like the bfi releases "Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner", the "Canterbury Tales" , "The Decameron" and many many more.
region coding is Blu-rays WORST feature by far.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-bassoonist View Post
Here's an offer for you: from those 500+ titles that you mentioned above, list here what is so important to own that one would be forced to buy an HDDVD player instead of investing into a region-free BD player that would significantly broaden its access to current and upcoming BD titles.

(Do you research well this time so you do not get smacked like you were yesterday with your 10% claim).

Pro-B
I have dozens of HD DVD imports I'm happy with. Your claim, as always, is that BD is better - so what's the point? Do us a favor - get out of this thread. He was not asking if he should get a region free BD player to enjoy the "many" movies available overseas he is asking about HD DVD. Something you have never owned before.

As for research, your right! I was off by 15 titles! Oh my! Not like you were not wrong about For Your Eyes Only working in everyone's S300/S500 because it worked in yours therefore everyone else was just making it up to harm the Blu-ray brand name. Or that PS3 did "very well" in November 2008 when it sold less than in 2007.

My smackdown pales to what happened to Fett claiming Universal released 147 Blu-rays already and that every movie ever shown in HD would be on Blu-ray in a year. Oh, quickly forgotten since he is on your team?