Fox trouble - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 AM

Default Fox trouble

Less you think Disney is the only one in trouble. And this article has some analyst's discussion on future DVD sales:

Quote:
The film group, which includes the Fox movie studio, reported an operating income of $112 million, compared with $403 million in the year-earlier period. The 72% drop is mainly the result of slowing DVD sales for such holiday home entertainment releases as "Horton Hears a Who!" and the domestic television release of "Juno."

The quarter also included the marketing costs associated with the worldwide theatrical releases of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and "Max Payne," as well as the successful holiday release of "Marley & Me" and the Oscar-nominated independent film "Slumdog Millionaire." The company expects to reap the box-office proceeds from the latter two movies in the current quarter.

Sluggish DVD sales have bedeviled the movie industry, and some attribute lower sales to a fundamental shift in how consumers are seeking to be entertained. But Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin says it's "too soon" to tell whether that theory is true. Instead, he blamed the 15% drop in DVD purchases on the recession.

"Given the depths of the consumer recession, that certainly is a pretty good way to account for most of what's going on out there right now," Chernin said.

But Laura Martin, a media analyst with Soleil Securities, agrees that viewers are going online and elsewhere for their entertainment.

"The recession pushes consumers to adopt free or low-cost substitutes like Hulu," Martin said. "Even after the recession is over, you've accelerated that consumer adoption. So they never go back.
"

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,5833831.story
Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryf View Post
Less you think Disney is the only one in trouble. And this article has some analyst's discussion on future DVD sales:

"

Fox does not help matters by being the KINGS of MSRP. Everytime a Fox title comes out I <sigh>
Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
"The recession pushes consumers to adopt free or low-cost substitutes like Hulu," Martin said. "Even after the recession is over, you've accelerated that consumer adoption. So they never go back.
not strictly true, maybe companies will give more stuff away for free (at point of consumption) but they can quite easily rein that in post recession
Old 02-06-2009, 10:45 AM

Wasn't there reports that MGM is also in trouble - even already before the recession hit ??
Old 02-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Not a surprise.

Even disregarding the recession, many of their movies have underperformed (Meet Dave, the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still). They've had exactly *looks at boxofficemojo* two movies grossing over $100 million: Horton Hears a Who and... Marley and Me? WTF is Marley and Me???
Old 02-06-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryf View Post

"

The one thing you have to realize is that no one's actually talking about the revenue from the people going on-line. Most of them are going for the free content, and that includes bit-torrented movies.

If people go on-line during a recession, gobbling up free content, it will be hard to go to a pay for content model.

fitprod
Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post
Not a surprise.

Even disregarding the recession, many of their movies have underperformed (Meet Dave, the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still). They've had exactly *looks at boxofficemojo* two movies grossing over $100 million: Horton Hears a Who and... Marley and Me? WTF is Marley and Me???
I have wondered what the deal is with Fox myself. Their movies have sucked as of late.

X-men Origins should be a decent money maker for them.

Right now Paramount looks to be the best bet to make the most money this year. (GI-Joe and Transformers 2)
Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 AM

MGM's always been in trouble for at least the last 10 yrs. Nothing to do with recession, just the poor management.

Other then Bond they have no successful movie franchise. Or has there been another notable MGM movie other then Bond for at least as long as I've been following them.

They basically bet the farm on film libraries, (DVDs, Cable TV, etc) by purchasing several smaller studios that went under during the late 90s. But have continued to sink money into under performing movies.

The comment has always been made about them that since they have no theme park, no magazines, etc., the types of other businesses Fox, Warner, have, it is tough for them to weather a bad movie. And since they've made a boatload of them, it puts them in a big hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeKaplan View Post
Wasn't there reports that MGM is also in trouble - even already before the recession hit ??
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Banned

Fox have had almost exclusively bombs for the last couple of years. So yeah, that's going to affect their home video sales as well.

This HULU crap is them looking for a scapegoat. I think this explains why they went through such pains to mug WB over Watchmen.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 AM

Fox used to be a really good studio back in the day... I'm guessing they must have gotten rid of all the people that brought the great stuff like x-files to the studio. Oh well.