Another shaft from Warner! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 AM

Default Another shaft from Warner!

Warner has yet again short changed another BD title. This time it is Nights in Rondathe. Now I personally don't care to see this movie and probably won't, but it just makes Warner's track record even worse. They gave the movie a standard DD soundtrack, not HD audio, or even DD+, but regular DD. They also used a 25G disc. Why not use a 50GB and utilize lossless audio? Warner is losing any respect I have left for them.

Laziness or cost cutting?

You be the judge.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Banned

Darn it. I thought you were going to say that Warner Brothers was releasing a sequel to Shaft.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Laziness or cost cutting?
Well, they really have become the champions of BD25 and low video bitrates. Domino, Pride and Glory and RockNRolla are all around 2 hours and got a single-layer disc.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:33 AM

For longer movies that really scream for a lossless track, I think Warner needs to step up. For this movie? It is 1 hour and 37 minutes long and is a dialogue driven romance that probably will not be a huge seller on home video. So I really don't care too much.

But Warner needs to step up.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:05 AM

DD+ isn't a requirement in the Blu-ray specs.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
DD+ isn't a requirement in the Blu-ray specs.
To add to that Warner only issued movies @640kbps for DD+ on HD DVD as well.

So even if Blu-Ray supported DD+ with higher bitrates, I doubt we would see it, er I mean hear it, on Blu-Ray.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM

And I remember the old days when tru-blu-bots blamed for Warner releases claiming that Warner encoded for HD DVD first and then ported the low bit rate encodes with lossy audio over the blu-ray. No, it turns out Warner is cheap, and lazy. Well, they did choose blu-ray, saying they were giving consumer "what they wanted".
Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Well, they did choose blu-ray, saying they were giving consumer "what they wanted".
Well I might like A History of Violence but I think I'm going to buy Fox's Little Miss Sunshine just to send a message about what I want.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
And I remember the old days when tru-blu-bots blamed for Warner releases claiming that Warner encoded for HD DVD first and then ported the low bit rate encodes with lossy audio over the blu-ray. No, it turns out Warner is cheap, and lazy. Well, they did choose blu-ray, saying they were giving consumer "what they wanted".
It really is a shame that Warner is not following in the footsteps of the other studios for most releases. Some of Universal's recent releases have looked and sounded amazing on Blu-Ray.

But hey who's to say if Warner would not have picked HD DVD that we would not have ended up with movies on HD DVD 15 discs? Honestly, I would not put it past Warner...
Old 02-04-2009, 11:34 AM

Damn. I thought Warner was making a new "Shaft" movie.