Charter (cable) drops the anvil - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-03-2009, 06:16 PM

Default Charter (cable) drops the anvil

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/E...ew-Caps-100637

100GB caps...the dominoes continue to fall and this helps to ensure digital downloads are of no threat to Blu-ray for another decade at least. Kudos to the providers for fragmenting the market. :| I want a dumb pipe already.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Oh crap that's me. From work (between my wife(photographer) and I)and just general traffic I hit half of that on a monthly basis. With streaming entertainment and what not, I hit about 80-90. Not much room for dd. I was starting to rent stuff off of my PS3 time to time. Guess no more of that.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:28 PM

Sorry...I will be feeling your pain in no time being in Time Warner land, I'm sure...I only hope they come to their senses and offer a more reasonable cap for all users like 250GB (akin to Comcast). Oh yea, this is totally a thread for Inglix the MAD!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:31 PM

Will be interesting to see how long these last. This same type of thing happened back when netscape came out (RIP gopher) pictures could be embedded in web browsers. Remember the jpg vs gif debates? We used to have a partial t1, now we play with partial gig 10 years later.

I'm guessing history will repeat itself, and while some companies will have limits, others wont, and they will advertise that way. From the article, this shouldnt bother anything serious about their downloads.

from the article
[/quote] A source familiar with the plans tells us Charter will be imposing a 100GB cap upon any Charter connection of 15Mbps or less, and a 250GB usage cap for broadband tiers "over 15 Mbps up to 25 Mbps." [/quote]

I'm guessing customers expecting to download multiple 30G+ files will be the ones with fiber and not less then 15Mbps connections.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:37 PM

Look, I got rid of Comcast because their basic service sucked (too many people on a node) and there certainly wasn't a demand for movie downloads. Getting internet drops and slow speeds just pushed me over to FIOS.

Lets face it, the broadband infrastructure can barely handle the demand now, let alone accommodate high bandwidth demand for high definition content no less.

If you ask me, it'll only get worse before it gets better and that won't be anytime soon.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:42 PM

not a surprise.
bring on the belt-tightening.
it's EVERYWHERE if you haven't noticed.
the depression we are in is real.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:55 PM

Man, my options keep opening up. I have the following broadband choice right this minute in Portland, OR --

DSL (Verizon, Qwest, many others)
Cable (Comcast)
FiOS (Verizon)
WiMAX (Clear, PrimeDec)

I'm skeptical that all of these providers will cap at somepoint in the future. I'm also skeptical that in such a competitive market, caps would last.

-comix
Old 02-03-2009, 06:56 PM

Of course...I'm not all that surprised either. Just serving as the messenger. I'm pretty content with TWC...fairly reliable most of the time and capless (but trialing 40GB caps in one TX market) for the time being but with AT&T (who is also experimenting with 20GB caps in TWO markets) being my only alternative (U-Verse is an utter joke compared to FiOS), I can smell the doom in the air. I work from home but I don't make nearly enough to justify double the cost for a business line and there's no guarantee that won't be subject to cap restraints either.

EDIT: Comix, you mean to tell me you have multiple ILEC (Qwest, Verizon) options at the same residence? Or do you just mean in Portland metropolis proper? In my case, there's some Wifi and Verizon a town over but I'm only considering viable options at the present residence. I'm restricted to AT&T as far as telcos go (U-Verse/DSL, both being capped in ongoing trials).
Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 PM

So wait......physical media WON'T go the way of the do-do bird? I thought this was set in stone.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:05 PM

I have a feeling that what happened to the baby bells with VOIP will happen to cable with data. It looks like WIMAX and LTE will be the next big thing and there is talk about unlimited data with both those techs. As a matter of fact, Wimax is unlimited in baltimore.

Though I'm not for a future in which everything is downloaded, I'm against a future of limits on internet that I've already enjoyed with no caps.