Midway, Sony to sell PS3 game, film on one Blu-ray disc - Weinstein Format Neutral? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-17-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Midway, Sony to sell PS3 game, film on one Blu-ray disc - Weinstein Format Neutral?

Midway, Sony to sell PS3 game, film on one Blu-ray disc

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=4200

Quote:
Midway Games Inc. and Sony Computer Entertainment America on Thurs. announced a partnership that will sell a game and a film on a single Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc.
Midway's Stranglehold will be sold in a limited edition version on the console that will include the game an John Woo's action film Hard Boiled on the same Blu-ray format disc.

Stranglehold is a collaboration between Midway and John Woo's Tiger Hill Entertainment. The in-game lead Inspector Tequila is played by Chow Yun-Fat, who also starred in 1992's Hard Boiled.

The Weinstein Company will sell a stand-alone 15th anniversary edition of Hard Boiled on July 24.

The Blu-ray format can hold up to 50GB on a dual-layer disc. Sony includes a Blu-ray disc drive in each PS3 console sold.

"The exclusive collector’s edition of Stranglehold demonstrates the power of PlayStation 3 Blu-ray disc and the total entertainment experience that can only be found on PlayStation 3," said Riley Russell, senior vice president Third Party Relations and general counsel, SCEA.

"The 50GB capacity of Blu-ray disc allows PS3 content publishers to do things simply not possible on our competitor’s 9GB DVD-based systems. Thanks to the advanced technology found in PS3, developers like Midway can truly realize their visions, bringing consumers even closer to the game."

Blu-ray disc is a key feature in the PS3 that allows users to playback new high-definition films. However, the feature has been held culprit for the console's high retail price, which has led to lower-than-expected sales worldwide.

Sony has sold 1.2 million PS3 units to date in the U.S. It expects to ship 11 million units worldwide by fiscal Mar. 2008.
Fairly interesting, but what I found interesting is what I bolded. I thought Weinstein was HD DVD exclusive, despite some information in some internet articles to the contrary. Although what was bolded doesn't specify what format the standalone release will be on, but considering the context in which it is found, it makes it appear that it will be on Blu-ray. If Weinstein has gone format neutral officially,...well, that will be just more good news for Blu-ray.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:43 PM

The search function is your friend.....

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=7758
Old 05-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Banned

It is being released on DVD from what I've read.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:55 PM

IMDB can be helpful too:

Production Companies
Golden Princess Film Production Limited
Milestone Pictures

Distributors
Rim (1993) (USA) (theatrical) (subtitled)
Criterion Collection, The (1995) (USA) (video) (laserdisc)
Encore Entertainment Ltd. (1995) (UK) (video) (laserdisc)
Criterion Collection, The (1996) (USA) (video) (laserdisc)
Fox Lorber (1996) (USA) (VHS)
Criterion Collection, The (1998) (USA) (DVD)
Splendid Film (1998) (Germany) (DVD)
Fox Lorber (2000) (USA) (DVD)
Buena Vista Home Video (2002) (USA) (DVD)
Delta Vidéo Diffusion (????) (France) (VHS)
Dragon Dynasty (2007) (USA) (DVD) (special collector's edition)
Manga Films (????) (Spain) (theatrical)
Metropolitan Filmexport (????) (France) (theatrical)

Looks like every man and his dog have had the rights to this one.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Reading this thread: 30 seconds of my life I'll never get back. Sigh . . .
Old 05-17-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
The search function is your friend.....

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=7758
Yes, indeed. But the purpose of the post is to really discuss Weinstein and their HD stance. Maybe I ought to simply rename the post to Weinstein Format Neutral?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, indeed. But the purpose of the post is to really discuss Weinstein and their HD stance. Maybe I ought to simply rename the post to Weinstein Format Neutral?
Might as well, since it wouldn't be the first time something pro-Blu Ray was stated without any actual evidence. Have at it!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:00 PM

so neither the remaster of this film or the game really needs 50GB.... so they can cram both onto one disc and probably charge $60-70 for it.... nice.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post
It's not even a rumor - it's just you misreading the article.

But it's a free world - FUD away!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:02 PM

I'll admit it does seem questionable at this point.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's a very big deal even if Weinstein does turn out to be neutral