dvds and bd's in serious trouble - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Banned

Default dvds and bd's in serious trouble

I'm waiting for a link..but i saw on the news this morning that "physical media could become a collector's item".Due to the recession sales of dvd's have dropped to the lowest since 1997.People are using Netflix as well as online downloads as an alternative to purchasing discs. Now if people won't spend 9.99 or less for dvd's,it's gotta effect the 20 plus bucks for BD's soon .

The quote was from the wall street journal or the NY times.I'm not sure so I will post further info when i find the actual source the WB news was quoting this AM

"did no crime but did the time"

Last edited by gene9p; 02-02-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Banned

Oh good lord.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Banned

here's one

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/bloomber...wn-movies/6354

Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
here's one

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/bloomber...wn-movies/6354

Well, the thread title may be a little dire, but that article was interesting. And sales of DVD's didn't "drop" to the lowest since 1997", the sales percentage decline of 32% in 4Q was the largest decline since they started keeping track in 1997. I don't think they're going to stop making DVDs or Blu-rays anytime soon, I think this is the key to what's happening -

Quote:
"Making a movie just won't be as profitable as it once was," Barclays Capital analyst Anthony DiClemente in New York said in an interview. "There will be a complete bottoms-up reconstruction of the economics of the film business."

Films are valued based on projected sales over 10 to 15 years, from theatrical release through DVD sales, cable television and TV broadcasts outside the U.S., said David A. Davis, managing partner of Arpeggio Partners LLC, a Santa Monica, California-based consultant to movie studios.

Studio estimates of these cash flows may prove optimistic if DVD sales continue to deteriorate, according to Nathanson.
Just means the studios are going to have to tighten their belts like every other industry. Far fewer 100 million + budget movies. More movies like "Cloverfield" with no-name actors and filmed on location instead of huge custom made sets. Far fewer A+ list actors getting 20 million + for starring in a movie. Fine with me, I think it's obscene anyone males that kind of money.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I'm waiting for a link..but i saw on the news this morning that "physical media could become a collector's item".Due to the recession sales of dvd's have dropped to the lowest since 1997.People are using Netflix as well as online downloads as an alternative to purchasing discs. Now if people won't spend 9.99 or less for dvd's,it's gotta effect the 20 plus bucks for BD's soon .

The quote was from the wall street journal or the NY times.I'm not sure so I will post further info when i find the actual source the WB news was quoting this AM

Um, you need to be put away a little longer...

DVD's did not drop to the lowest leve since 1997... It's the largest drop in sales since 1997. MAJOR DIFFERENCE.

fitprod
Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 AM

Careful guys - if you smack him down too much, he'll close the thread like he did the last one...
Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:

The most expensive BD I bought was for $15. All my other BD's I was able to get for < $13 when on sale + coupon or something. I would never pay $20+ for a movie, BD or no BD.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

I closed it because it was a dead thread..no responses even when i was gone..i assure you i will keep this one open

my man........
Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
I closed it because it was a dead thread..no responses even when i was gone..
that should tell ya something
Old 02-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by furriballs View Post
that should tell ya something
went well over a dozen pages... 23 actually...how many threads have you started?.how many sales or trades have you made...judging by how few posts you have I know where you are coming from

nice avatar..

my man

Last edited by gene9p; 02-02-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Closed Thread