Pirates of the Caribbean 1&2 Blu-ray sets new benchmark for PQ and SQ - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned

Default Pirates of the Caribbean 1&2 Blu-ray sets new benchmark for PQ and SQ

Dead Man's Chest:

Quote:
As was the case for Curse of the Black Pearl, Disney has blessed Dead Man’s Chest with a 50GB Blu-ray disc (BD50) and glorious AVC transfer in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and the average bit rate ranges from 35 to 38 Mbps. In short ladies and gentleman Dead Man’s Chest movie gives us the new benchmark in picture quality for HD optical. While on par with Curse of the Black Pearl, this disc surpasses the video quality found on other reference discs such as Crank on Blu-ray and King Kong on HD DVD. At no point in viewing Pirates did I experience any macro blocking or any noise of any type. I could not believe this considering the amount of both bright and dark scenes and also the amount action sequences. Also the film was extremely sharp and clear and free of any film debris and I mean zero debris whatsoever. There was also little to no film grain noticeable. I have not experienced this as of yet on HD optical until the viewing the Pirates discs. Colors (and this is a very colorful film) were extremely vibrant and flesh tones were spot-on. This disc is truly an AMAZING benchmark in picture quality.
Curse of the Black Pearl:
http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev...type=disc_type

Quote:
For this transfer Disney went with 50GB Blu-ray disc (BD50) and glorious AVC transfer in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and the average bit rate ranges from 35 to 38 Mbps. In short ladies and gentleman this Pirates movie gives us the new benchmark in picture quality for HD optical. Up until this point, both Crank on Blu-ray and King Kong on HD DVD were the films to beat in HD optical picture quality. I was fortunate enough to watch the new Matrix Collection HD DVD box set yesterday, and not even it rivals this Curse of the Black Pearl disc. At no point in viewing Pirates did I experience any macro blocking or any noise of any type. I could not believe this considering the amount of both bright and dark scenes and also the amount action sequences. Also the film was extremely sharp and clear and free of any film debris and I mean zero debris whatsoever. I have not experienced this as of yet on HD optical until the viewing of this disc. This disc also contained little to no film grain. Colors (and this is a very colorful film) were extremely vibrant and flesh tones were spot-on. This disc is truly an AMAZING benchmark in picture quality.
Wow - I can't wait to get my hands on these.

Average bit rate of 35-38 Mbps AVC/MPEG-4? Hello!

Quote:
Audio

Audio is another area where this disc excels. I watched using the PCM 5.1 option. For this option Disney went with a 48kHz/24-Bit encode and all I can say is WOW! Curse of the Black Pearl (along with Dead Man's Chest) is the most encompassing and powerful film I have ever heard on HD optical. Until this point there have been several films on both formats which have really excelled in terms of audio quality and I have seen them all, however again Curse of the Black Pearl sets the new benchmark for audio quality. During the film, dialog is very well channeled through the center channel and the surrounds are used extensively throughout the film. This film also set a new standard for use of the LFE channel. By the end of viewing my subwoofer was exhausted. Again Disney has done an AMAZING job in setting the new standard in audio quality.

Special Features

This Curse of the Black Pearl disc is stocked with some great extras…

Games And Activities – Scoundrels of the Sea (Build your own view of pirate history).
Movie Showcase – Instant access to select movie scenes that showcase the ultimate in High Definition picture and sound.
An Epic At Sea – The making of Curse of the Black Pearl.
Featurette – Fly on the set.
Blooper Reel
Final Thoughts

As I said previously in this review, we have the new benchmark for both picture quality and audio quality for HD optical. If there were ever a movie or movies you wanted to show your friends and family to show-off your home theater set-up, Curse of the Black Pearl is it. This disc is absolutely stunning in terms of picture quality and amazing in terms of audio quality. Having watched this film over 24 hours ago, the smile has still not left my face and I am anxious to watch it again with friends. In short, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the purchase of Curse of the Black Pearl, regardless if you are a fan or not of the movies, as they are pure eye and ear candy and will not let anyone down.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Banned

These disc are region free and will play in all regions.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 PM

if only every HD release could come close to this................
Old 05-16-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I was fortunate enough to watch the new Matrix Collection HD DVD box set yesterday, and not even it rivals this Curse of the Black Pearl disc.
Only 1 person's opinion... I await to see what Peter says on the subject.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Dead Man's Chest:

Curse of the Black Pearl:
http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev...type=disc_type

Wow - I can't wait to get my hands on these.

Average bit rate of 35-38 Mbps AVC/MPEG-4? Hello!
Give me a break about the Matrix quote.Now i have read alot of your posts, your a big blu-ray fanboy are you not.What a biased comment about matrix,besides where did you see it, i doubt you own a hd-dvd player,did you see matrix being played at a big box store where the display is set at FACTORY settings.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 PM

This is great news and news that is anything but surprising. These are flagship titles and you had to know they were going to spend the money and put in the extra time required to make these titles stand out. I for one will buy these blindfolded. As for the comparison between this series and the Matrix, lol. The comparison is utterly comical at best. The matrix is a very dark film with a lot of stylization. Pirates is about as far away from the Matrix style as you can possibly get. Just goes to show you that this reviewer simply doesnt undertand that comparing films like these together gets you nothing but data from an illogical comparison.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigggdaddy72 View Post
Give me a break about the Matrix quote.Now i have read alot of your posts, your a big blu-ray fanboy are you not.What a biased comment about matrix,besides where did you see it, i doubt you own a hd-dvd player,did you see matrix being played at a big box store where the display is set at FACTORY settings.
Ok my bad this was'nt your review i retract my statement.But i have looked up his other reviews and gives praise and good reviews to the blu-ray movies he reviews but gives bad reviews to hd-dvd's apparently a fanboy,not much of a professional reviewer if he's biased towards just one format
Old 05-16-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Red View Post
Bolded comments in dobly's post ack_bak...
Thanks. I went back and saw it then deleted my post.. I am also waiting for Peter's review. He just gave the Matrix Trilogy the best review I have ever seen on this site. It will be interesting to see how the POTC movies stack up.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Formerly Delta_FX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Thanks. I went back and saw it then deleted my post.. I am also waiting for Peter's review. He just gave the Matrix Trilogy the best review I have ever seen on this site. It will be interesting to see how the POTC movies stack up.
It's prettty much impossible for the POTC movies to score higher because they don't have nearly as much supplements...

Unless you are talking about how they stack up against in PQ & AQ.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:28 PM

And not only are PQ and AQ 5 out of 5 for quality, but the quality of the film is 4.5 out of 5 as well...

Sorry, but had to add fuel to the fire in what's going to be an interesting thread