Is BD-Live Dead? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-26-2009, 08:43 AM

Default Is BD-Live Dead?

http://www.tvpredictions.com/bluitv012609.htm
Old 01-26-2009, 08:49 AM

Wow, this article jumps out the gate wrong, BD-Live isn't even 2 years old yet... I also think it's interesting that they're quoting an executive from a studio that as far as I know has little to absolutly no BD-Live content on the market.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:54 AM

BD live is probably the biggest waste of time, Beside potentially confusing consumers.
They should have the rated version and uncut on the same disk done by seamless branching. They need to have seamless branching for extended editions.

For movies like 300 where nudity is only there for 1 min tops it would be nice to have when parents come. Same for violence.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

300 is rated R though, not unrated. So you are looking for them to censor the film?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Here is the original article:

Adding life to BD Live

Studios to experiment with new activities, no registration

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6631612.html
Old 01-26-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Wow, this article jumps out the gate wrong, BD-Live isn't even 2 years old yet... I also think it's interesting that they're quoting an executive from a studio that as far as I know has little to absolutly no BD-Live content on the market.
Well, the first web enabled content on HD DVD was Blood Diamond in June 2007, and blu-ray was touting they could do the same / better since then.

As to the OP, I sure wouldn't say "dead", but I would say a big "bust", a big disappointment and far, far more hassle than it's worth. Iron Man insisting on checking for the update taking several minutes before the movie would go to the menu so I could find out I could download some stupid game if I wanted to. Universal BD Live wouldn't work at all on my departed Panny BD35, even worse once it tried it would display the large error message on the screen while trying to watch the movie, until I finally had to take out the SD card, put it in my digital camera so I connect it to my PC & delete the content. Do they hold Toshiba in so much contempt they couldn't include a menu to manage downloaded content like Toshiba did with Persistent Memory management?

My wireless/wired router is right next to my HT rack so connecting is easy, but I've not disconnected the ethernet on my player so I don't have to put up with the hassle.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 AM

^^^
Despite claims made by the BDA in 2007, the fact is it *couldn't* do that back then... In fact there was no bluray player/software that could do this until 2008... Sorry but you can't really tack on the capabilities of HD DVD to bluray then say "yeah see it's 2 years old"... While the concepts are the same the under lying programming is different and BD-Live actually suffers from standardization issues that HDi programmers never grappled with.

It's those standardization issues that are BD-Live's biggest hurdle, it needs to work consitantly across all players. It just doesn't right now, look at all those universal BD-Live issues you're having with your pannisonic (to this day), Disney's BD-Live issues amongst others... I think the best studio out of the bunch so far is WB mainly because the few issues they had did manage to get resolved across the board as far as I know.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:01 AM

If studios are planning to do more to support BD Live, and offer more BD Live content, it takes a bit of a disconnect to even consider asking if BD Live is "dead". Short answer- "No".
Old 01-26-2009, 11:14 AM
formerly Blu Christmas

I have yet to check out one BD-Live feature on any disk. I always said I didn't think this was big selling point for many people when it was mainly on HD DVD. The thing is - it's much easier to look up data on a movie on my computer (if I wanted to). I would always rather have the content on the disk - not on some web site.

Anyway, if people aren't using BD Live features, I certainly wouldn't be surprised.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 AM

If the studios deliver on their promises for BD-Live it will be worthwhile, if all they offer are trailers or content that could be put on a disc, it won't be a success.