Video game sales surpass DVD/Blu for first time... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-24-2009, 08:45 AM

Default Video game sales surpass DVD/Blu for first time...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/01/24...he-first-time/

Actually, I was surprised by this:

Quote:
Back in 2007, games accounted for 47 percent of the equation, while it scooted up to 53 percent in 2008; analysts are expecting that figure to rise further and hit 57 percent in 2009, though much of this shift has to do with the digital distribution of content and not the disinterest in movies overall.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:41 PM

I didnt see anything in the article to support engadget's contention that it was fueled by downloadable content. Fact is, a lot of games were sold in 2008, and most of them were MSRP $50-60 a piece. (Plus the Wii Fit at $90, and guitar hero/Rock band with their hardware bundles and whatnot).
Old 01-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mi View Post
I didnt see anything in the article to support engadget's contention that it was fueled by downloadable content. Fact is, a lot of games were sold in 2008, and most of them were MSRP $50-60 a piece. (Plus the Wii Fit at $90, and guitar hero/Rock band with their hardware bundles and whatnot).
Games have been $50-$60 now for 3+ years.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Impressive if it did. Though, when people use these things to say video games are bigger than movies...I would simply point out that DVD doesn't even make up half of the revenue movies earn.

Granted, I'd like to see how they come up with their numbers. I've seen too many claims of passing up movies, only to find out that someone is adding up worldwide software and hardware sales, then comparing it to domestic box office receipts and claiming victory. Their observation about digital distribution wasn't a particular keen one (you take DD revenue, and it's not making up the loss on DVD/BD...so I have no idea why they think it is).
Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Their observation about digital distribution wasn't a particular keen one (you take DD revenue, and it's not making up the loss on DVD/BD...so I have no idea why they think it is).
Maybe people aren't spending as much on movies because a large percentage of the movies releases sorta suck? That could make up the difference.

I gotta think there is something to what they say. Have you been in your local Blockbuster lately? Mine has easily more shelf space devoted to video games as it does BR disks...and if you look at all the space for the various consoles, it may be approaching the shelf space for DVDs as well.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360_4_EVER! View Post
Maybe people aren't spending as much on movies because a large percentage of the movies releases sorta suck? That could make up the difference.
Like a large percentage of games that are released don't suck?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Have you been in your local Blockbuster lately? Mine has easily more shelf space devoted to video games as it does BR disks...and if you look at all the space for the various consoles, it may be approaching the shelf space for DVDs as well.
Well, I've been to my local Blockbuster...and the shelf space for games isn't anywhere CLOSE to that of DVD. But that's probably more a commentary on gaming as a rental market than anything else.

Though, one can consider that movies reach a larger audience than gaming. Equal revenue, but with product priced as it is in that sphere...it means a lot less units.

Quote:
Well maybe. But I doubt it...since I don't really believe the number of sucky films is increasing. Most movies do kinda suck, always have, always will. And like was said above...it's no different in gaming. Besides, quality isn't always the key here. That's awfully subjective...and quite frankly, when I look at the number one console out there right now...it's in my opinion, by far the worst, with the lowest quality software library by a huge margin. Yet...it's by far causing the biggest gains of any of the home consoles. Bottom line...top quality doesn't mean more money. At least, not the type of quality I'm thinking of. But...as I said, it's very subjective. I mean, we didn't have an animated hit the size of Shrek 3 this year. Does that mean quality was off? I don't...practically every animated movie released this year was better than that dreck. It's a bit more complicated than just saying movies aren't good as they used to be.