Blu-ray Convert - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-14-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Blu-ray Convert

Long time reader, first time poster. Well, I actually wanted Blu-Ray to fail simply because it's a Sony backed format and frankly, I'm a little fed up with Sony at the moment. (That being said I do own a PS3 and subsequently have purchase discs.) However, after my issues with HD DVD, I'm now a Blu-Ray supporter. First I couldn't get Children of Men to work, and now I bought Smokin' Aces last night and it froze on me too. Now before everyone jumps down my throat and says it's a Universal problem and not the format, let me just say that as a consumer, I don't care. Every Blu-Ray disc I've put in my PS3 has worked. Haven't had a single issue. Whether it's a HD DVD problem or studio problem I don't care. I want something that works. And right now, that's not HD DVD. I know I'm an early adopter and a certain level of this is to be expected, but when one is having problems and the other isn't, guess which one I'm gonig to continue to buy?

For the record I own the 360 add on and own 12 Blu-Ray discs and 14 (soon to be 13 when I take Smokin' Aces back) HD DVD discs so while I did want HD DVD to win, I did consider myself format neutral in the sense that I would buy both. If the movie was on both formats I used to buy it on HD DVD. Now I will be buying everything on Blu-Ray...

Last edited by alkie4life; 05-14-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:19 AM

Well first of all Welcome to the forums, one thing to remember that Blu-ray is not just a Sony format. You could go completely non-Sony with Blu-ray but that would be more expensive currently.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
Well first of all Welcome to the forums, one thing to remember that Blu-ray is not just a Sony format. You could go completely non-Sony with Blu-ray but that would be more expensive currently.
Very true and a valid point. Sony is the face of the BDA so for me, Blu-Ray = Sony. Currently though I don't care. My personal bias will always be trumped by common sense, reliability, and ease of use. If Sony offers the best product, I'll buy it. Currently, Sony is offering the superior product in Blu-Ray because it works. Hence, I'm buying it...
Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 AM

As I say to any one who has complained about HD DVD's not playing... sorry bout your bad luck. I have not had a single problem with my HD DVD's. I also have both the titles you were talking about and a 360 add on and I am EXTREMLY HAPPY with it. I was going to purchase a PS3 but this whole BD Java issue and the pulling of the 20 gig model has made me deside to wait till the holliday season and hopefuly a price drop on Blu-ray players. I have heard so meny horror storys about the first BD Java disk (Dragons Lair) that I don't want to even get involved with Blu-ray at the moment. I mean it doesn't play sound on the PS3... doesn't read in the samsun Blu-ray player... sorry too much hastle expecaly since BD Java is supose to be the new cool thing for Blu-ray. I will stick to my HD DVD's and enjoy Matrix, Flag of Our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, 40 Year Old Virgin, Shooter, and what ever other titles I deside to buy this summer. Only thing coming out to Blu-ray right now that I wanted any ways was Ghostrider.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 AM

Funnily enought they are the only two discs on HD-DVD that I had a problem with. I sent my CoM to Universal who replaced it with a working disc. I can't get Smoking Aces to play but Amazon have already put a new copy in the mail. I agree it is annoying and it always seems to be combos. Universal and Toshiba need to resolve this quick. Having said that I like a standalone under my TV. HD DVD is better priced, looks a lot sleeker and isn't Sony. With pricing and region codes you can keep BR !!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:12 AM
Banned

This is a troll post if I've ever seen one. Your first post is about this?

You had problems with two HDDVDs and you dropped the format? LOL, okay. Ever heard of returning a disc? Do you know how many DVDs I've had to return over the years because I had problems with them? Too many to count. The PS3 has had problems playing certain BD movies, so obviously you haven't owned those, or perhaps you'd give up the format?

Welcome to bluray, you'll love the DVD style menus, no interactivity, MPEG2 transfers, barebones releases, features left out of duelformat movies, and the fact your BD player and discs will be outdated when the format is eventually finalized. Yeah that definitely sounds like it's all "working" right now.

This post is so one sided it's not even funny.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:13 AM

Welcome to the forums and I feel your pain. I have now had problems playing two HD DVD movies, and cancelled DVE when they announced that it would not play on the 360 add-on. I have had zero issues with Blu-Ray to date and hopefully that trend will continue. Like you, if the movie comes out on both formats, I almost always buy the Blu-Ray version. I just have a better piece of mind with the Blu-Ray format right now. HDi is definitely an advantage, but not at the expense of movies not properly playing. Not to mention the audio issues that were discovered in November 2006 with the 360 add-on that still have not been resolved...
Old 05-14-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPBuff22 View Post
As I say to any one who has complained about HD DVD's not playing... sorry bout your bad luck. I have not had a single problem with my HD DVD's. I also have both the titles you were talking about and a 360 add on and I am EXTREMLY HAPPY with it. I was going to purchase a PS3 but this whole BD Java issue and the pulling of the 20 gig model has made me deside to wait till the holliday season and hopefuly a price drop on Blu-ray players. I have heard so meny horror storys about the first BD Java disk (Dragons Lair) that I don't want to even get involved with Blu-ray at the moment. I mean it doesn't play sound on the PS3... doesn't read in the samsun Blu-ray player... sorry too much hastle expecaly since BD Java is supose to be the new cool thing for Blu-ray. I will stick to my HD DVD's and enjoy Matrix, Flag of Our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, 40 Year Old Virgin, Shooter, and what ever other titles I deside to buy this summer. Only thing coming out to Blu-ray right now that I wanted any ways was Ghostrider.
Stop speading FUD!

BD Java is active on every player. PiP is not, but Dragon's Lair managed to do it using BD-J. Dragon's Lair is not the 1st disc to use BD-J by a longshot. The PS3 does play sound. The PS3 can decode every audio format internally except DTS HD and MA (HD DVD standalones don't do it either). With those audio codecs I just mentioned, you get the DTS 1.5Mbps core audio. Don't get my started on what the Xbox 360 w/add-on doesn't do. But, I will tell you that the only sound you get with the HD DVD add-on is regular Dolby Digital. All of the audio tracks are downconverted to regular DD for your receiver.

Please state facts. Try not to give people snow-jobs. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
You well know that there is no way to completely go non-Sony with Blu Ray. They are on every part of the cicle when you buy Sony picture movies.
In all cases they are involved in the BR patent.

The only thing that Sony needs to do to complete the whole monopoly is to open an online store and sell their own movies.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC-1 View Post
Welcome to bluray, you'll love the DVD style menus, no interactivity, MPEG2 transfers, barebones releases, features left out of duelformat movies, and the fact your BD player and discs will be outdated when the format is eventually finalized. Yeah that definitely sounds like it's all "working" right now.

This post is so one sided it's not even funny.
I can tell you don't have knowledge of Blu-ray or video codecs just from this post. Please read up on what you are posting about.

DVD style menus? DVD style menus would be a step up for HD DVD menus. It's the same old block style menus. They can't change to fit the theme of the title.

No Interactivity? Blu-Wizard, Trivia tracks and Java games are not interactivity? Well I haven't seen one Java game on a HD DVD release.

MPEG2 transfers? Your point is...? MPEG2 takes up more space on a disc, but that's not a problem if you have the disc space available (humm...looking at you HD DVD). Anything beyond that is completely unfounded, especially, since MPEG2 transfers have gotten 4.5 and 5 star rating from multiple reviewers. Plus, Blu-ray has releases using ALL of the video codecs.

Barebones releases? That is left up to studios. That has nothing to do with the format. The most important thing is that they are concentrating on what truly matters right now (in an early adoption market)...giving the best possible audio and video experience they can. That is why they have been beating out HD DVD on that end since September. Plus, the reviews first done were with the Samsung player without the firmware fix. Most titles were not re-reviewed, if any.

Features left out of duel format releases? Again, this is a studio 's call. That has nothing to do with the format itself. Blu-ray can have an uncompressed audio track with it's titles. Let's see HD DVD do that.

"the fact your BD player and discs will be outdated when the format is eventually finalized"? That's just a completely NOT true! You won't be able to play the additional feature of PiP on most players, but the movie and all other features of BD-J will play fine. All of the older BD titles will play just fine. Plus, the PS3 is the most future proof HD player in the world. It is able to be updated 'til the cows come home and it has more than enough processing power. Even BD-Live will be added to the PS3.

Please stop spreading FUD! :-#