Blu-ray Dominates Christmas Sales - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 PM

Default Blu-ray Dominates Christmas Sales

Evidently sales were pretty good.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/2...christmassales

Back before Thanksgiving I predicted that Blu-ray sales would suffer during the holiday season due to the high cost of both the player and HDTVs combined with the current economic recession, among other reasons. But after seeing the report from the British Video Association declaring Blu-ray sales have risen almost 400 percent for the 2008 holiday season over the same period of time last year, it is clear that I was wrong.

Across the whole holiday season 3.7 million Blu-ray units were sold in Britain, and that doesn't include sales of Sony's Playstation 3 console, which also plays Blu-ray movies. A large contributing factor to the rise in Blu-ray sales was the release of the movies The Dark Knight and Mama Mia on Blu-ray. The Dark Knight sold almost 300,000 copies in its first few weeks, becoming the fastest selling Blu-ray title to date. Mama Mia was no slouch either selling 5.1 million copies by year-end.

Of course, all of these sales are from the British market, so we will have to wait for U.S. sales numbers to see if the trend carried over here. But given the U.K. sales numbers, it is hard to predict anything other than similarly high sales here.

I still hold onto my claim that streaming video will overtake Blu-ray at some point. Streaming video is being brought even closer to the mass-market with the announcement that LG will be releasing a broadband HDTV which can stream video from Netflix without the need for a set-top box. But the recent sales numbers for Blu-ray this holiday season show that the HD format still has a lot of life in it. The shift to streaming video is still coming, it's just a long, long way off.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:52 PM

Not that this isn't excellent news, but this belongs in the sales section

Last edited by A_Gorilla; 01-06-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gorilla View Post
Not that this 'excellent news, but this belongs in the sales section
b-b-but is supposed to be dying with consumers rejecting it in droves. There shouldn't be positive sales news like this (or so say some in smackdown)
Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 AM

Wrong forum. Reported.

Nothing more than a sign of desperation. A hopeless example of a need for attention.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Across the whole holiday season 3.7 million Blu-ray units were sold in Britain, and that doesn't include sales of Sony's Playstation 3 console, which also plays Blu-ray movies.
He makes it sound like hardware units when he mentions the PS3. Just to be clear, these are disc sales just for the holidays.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown-D View Post

Back before Thanksgiving I predicted that Blu-ray sales would suffer during the holiday season due to the high cost of both the player and HDTVs combined with the current economic recession, among other reasons. But after seeing the report from the British Video Association declaring Blu-ray sales have risen almost 400 percent for the 2008 holiday season over the same period of time last year, it is clear that I was wrong.

Across the whole holiday season 3.7 million Blu-ray units were sold in Britain, and that doesn't include sales of Sony's Playstation 3 console, which also plays Blu-ray movies. A large contributing factor to the rise in Blu-ray sales was the release of the movies The Dark Knight and Mama Mia on Blu-ray. The Dark Knight sold almost 300,000 copies in its first few weeks, becoming the fastest selling Blu-ray title to date. Mama Mia was no slouch either selling 5.1 million copies by year-end.

Of course, all of these sales are from the British market, so we will have to wait for U.S. sales numbers to see if the trend carried over here. But given the U.K. sales numbers, it is hard to predict anything other than similarly high sales here.

I still hold onto my claim that streaming video will overtake Blu-ray at some point. Streaming video is being brought even closer to the mass-market with the announcement that LG will be releasing a broadband HDTV which can stream video from Netflix without the need for a set-top box. But the recent sales numbers for Blu-ray this holiday season show that the HD format still has a lot of life in it. The shift to streaming video is still coming, it's just a long, long way off.
This paragraph is retarded. Of course streaming video will EVENTUALLY overtake Blu-ray but the fact remains that if you tried to convert all movie watching households overnight to streaming anytime in the next 5 years and possibly 10, the system would break in an instant. The infrastructure does not exist.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown-D View Post

This makes it sound like Blu has sold almost 4 million SAL and well over 5 million copies of Mamma Mia and TDK. Is this what they call "spin"?
I know what the statements actually mean (I think) but to the average reader, Blu is rapidly taking over.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 AM

Great news for high def lovers! Very excited to see continued format growth!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
This makes it sound like Blu has sold almost 4 million SAL and well over 5 million copies of Mamma Mia and TDK. Is this what they call "spin"?
In this case, I think this is what they call really bad writing.