Blu-ray Sales Reach Record Marks During Holiday Shopping Season - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Arrow Blu-ray Sales Reach Record Marks During Holiday Shopping Season

Blu-ray Sales Reach Record Marks During Holiday Shopping Season

Quote:
Home Theater News Industry-Trade News
Written by AVRev.com
Monday, 29 December 2008

While it may be depressing to hear about the slow economy and HDTV manufacturers cutting production of flat-panel TVs, it should be a comfort to hear that Blu-ray is gaining ground with mainstream consumers. Blu-ray is moving out of the "early adoption" hole and into the light.

The fourth quarter, particularly this holiday season, has seen a big push toward Blu-ray hardware and software. Tru-Blu is a coalition of companies formed to promote Blu-ray Disc, and consists of companies such as Disney, Fox, Warner Bros., Panasonic, Sony, and many others. The coalition has bombarded the masses with $200 million worth of campaigns. And their efforts have paid off as consumer spending on Blu-ray materials during the holiday shopping season has set record marks.

Independent survey companies found that a Blu-ray was at the top of HDTV-owners' wish list. A second HDTV was also present at the top of the list. The study also showed that HDTV owners preferred to watch material on Blu-ray, rather than any other format, including DVD and streaming media. Unfortunately, we are not so sure about the accuracy of that study. The majority of mainstream consumers still seem to prefer DVDs due to their simplicity and quick load times.

Standalone Blu-ray player sales during the week of Thanksgiving increased by 300 percent over the sales figures from the same time last year. This sales result does not include the sales of PS3 components. The increase in player sales naturally increased the amount of Blu-ray software sold. The month of October yielded more than two million discs sold a first for the format. Recent data shows that the week ending December 6, 2008 resulted in 1.7 million discs sold. That is nearly 300,000 more units sold than during Black Friday week. On December 9, "The Dark Knight" was released, and currently has sold 1.7 million units alone. 600,000 alone were sold on the first day. Both numbers are a first for the format.

Still, Blu-ray sales are weaker than where DVD sales were at the same age of where Blu-ray is now. Of course, the economy was more affluent during that time, as well as DVD marked a major transition from analog VHS tapes to digital DVD discs. Blu-ray simply marks an increase in audio and video quality (sometimes), which most consumers don't have the proper setup to take advantage of the format and see no difference between DVD and Blu-ray due to Blu-ray's slow load times and unstable system. But kudos to the Blu-ray format for their banner fourth quarter sales during this economy
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-ne...ng-season.html
Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Still, Blu-ray sales are weaker than where DVD sales were at the same age of where Blu-ray is now. Of course, the economy was more affluent during that time, as well as DVD marked a major transition from analog VHS tapes to digital DVD discs. Blu-ray simply marks an increase in audio and video quality (sometimes), which most consumers don't have the proper setup to take advantage of the format and see no difference between DVD and Blu-ray due to Blu-ray's slow load times and unstable system. But kudos to the Blu-ray format for their banner fourth quarter sales during this economy
A back-handed compliment ! The author was too eager to lay down all the Blu-ray negatives, and sacrificed his own writing in the process.

If consumers can see no difference between DVD and Blu-ray, how is it due to Blu-ray's slow load times and unstable systems ? Shouldn't it be due to personal perception, improper/inadequate setup and bad transfers ?

He should have dwelled further into these points by doing more research. That would help consumers make better purchase decisions. He can't change the sales record and momentum anyway. Randomly lumping some Blu-ray negatives into his article will only hurt himself.

How fast/slow are the load times these days anyway ? And has the James Bond incompatibility been worked out ? BDA is certainly on-the-hook to improve these.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Which is why my house guests are always so amazed with the clarity of the picture on my set-up. Stunned is more like it at times. "Wow, the picture is so clear", and the "sound just awesome". "Is that blu-ray?"

Relative to speeds, my S350 is a tad slower than my PS3, but certainly very acceptable. I'm pleasantly surprised because if you listen to the FUD, you'd believe that you'd be waiting quite awhile and believe me, I'm not that easy to please.

Why would you expect him to post anything but FUD. I'm sure he feels it would be a victory if he can convince anyone to stay away from high definition optical disk.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryydr View Post
Relative to speeds, my S350 is a tad slower than my PS3, but certainly very acceptable. I'm pleasantly surprised because if you listen to the FUD, you'd believe that you'd be waiting quite awhile and believe me, I'm not that easy to please.
Same here. No real delays on any titles loading on my 350.

Also, since when do DVDs load instantly? Some of the ones I view take an absolute age to get started.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 PM

I really don't think people can't see the difference. The real problem is a lot are ok with the way their DVDs look. But as prices reach DVD levels and players improve. There will be little to complain about. As for now I understand the complaints fully. I have them myself.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
I really don't think people can't see the difference. The real problem is a lot are ok with the way their DVDs look. But as prices reach DVD levels and players improve. There will be little to complain about. As for now I understand the complaints fully. I have them myself.
Pricing is the big issue at this point, although there has been big time movement in both players and movies. Heck, Sweeney Todd is available for $9.97 in Canada for the Blu-Ray version....i think the cheapest Blu-Ray you would find at this time last year in Canada was probably $20. Even Amazon.ca has seen some big price drops. The Kill Bills are $10 each....usually Amazon.ca would have titles at $30+
Old 12-30-2008, 04:19 AM

Off Topic but where can you get the Kill Bills for $10?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Amazon in Canada! Suddenly, Canadians have all the good deals.

Check this out:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/top.php?show=bargains
Old 12-30-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Amazon.ca. Also Future Shop in Canada has been selling them for that much as well.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
I agree.

As long as Blu-ray players and software cost significantly more than DVD most people won't adopt it. The thing is, the price difference will become less and less significant, until most people (not all) will naturally buy in.

Among the people who claim that you can't tell the difference or much of a difference, most of those have 720p sets, and of course, they lose half the resolution compared with 1080p. Even 1 year ago, many people thought 1080p was cost prohibitive, or sales people convinced them of that, since stores were full of 720p sets that they needed to sell.

That will also change. I saw at Costco recently, a Vizio 22" 1080p LCD (with HDTV tuner and HDMI), on sale for $299. I know a lot people will say that is ridiculous, noone needs a 22" 1080p set. The thing is, it can double as a computer monitor, so it is very practical. My point is, 1080p is going to be more and more common, even in small sets, and the difference between DVD and Blu-ray will be easier to tell for more and more people.