Blu-ray Beats Recession Blues Sales Soar in Lead Up to Christmas at Even Quicker Rate - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:11 PM

Default Blu-ray Beats Recession Blues Sales Soar in Lead Up to Christmas at Even Quicker Rate

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/12/prweb1776184.htm

Blu-ray Beats Recession Blues Sales Soar in Lead Up to Christmas at Even Quicker Rate than DVD
Despite the gloomiest of financial forecasts, sales of Blu-ray disc movies are defying the odds and bucking the credit crunch - with record figures reported in the run up to Christmas.

London, UK (PRWEB) December 21, 2008 -- Despite the gloomiest of financial forecasts, sales of Blu-ray disc movies are defying the odds and bucking the credit crunch - with record figures reported in the run up to Christmas. And it's not just films flying off the shelves, Blu-ray disc players are also following suit, with a strong upsurge in European sales that is expected to continue into the New Year. In fact, overall sales are predicted to more than triple in 2009, reaching 2.5million units Europe wide* (and that figure does not even include the millions of Playstation 3 consoles, with their in-built Blu-ray players, that will be sold over the next few months).

The high definition format, which offers up to six times better picture quality than current standard definition, as well as a superb surround sound experience with its 7.1 channels, is establishing itself in Europe at a rapid rate - far faster than DVD did more than a decade ago. In its first three years, Blu-ray (including PS3 sales) has outsold DVD by about five times over the equivalent period*.

The Blu-ray disc format offers an unparalleled home entertainment experience, something all those involved with this technology have always known
Once people see the benefits of Blu-ray for themselves, they soon realise the difference it can make. Seeing is believing after all! We fully expect Blu-ray to keep on bucking the current economic trend and continue its rapid growth over the next few months and beyond, stimulated by falling prices and even more bundling deals with large screen TVs.
British consumers bought 462,500 Blu-ray discs in November, an increase of 165 per cent from October**, Figures released in December from the British Video Association (BVA), show that block-buster Hollywood titles such The Dark Knight sold a staggering 513,000 units in one day with Blu-ray disc representing 21 per cent of all discs sold. In France, Blu-ray's share of the optical disc market is expected to double next year to 6 per cent*. Across Europe as a whole, over 6.5 million units of software have been sold to date, with year on year growth up 320 per cent**.

2008 has been a breakthrough year for Blu-ray, with the format gaining support from the entire Consumer Electronics industry and all Hollywood Movie Studios. Features such as BD-Live mean exciting interactive content is now available on the latest titles, while more and more classic films are being released each week as Blu-ray's back catalogue continues to grow. New advanced BD players by all major manufacturers represent even greater value for money, while the format itself has still not reached its full potential.

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20...t-away-at-dvd/

Blu-ray sales poised to eat away at DVD
As predicted, the Blu-ray format experienced excellent holiday sales during the past few weeks. One of the hottest ticket items were Blu-ray players. Consumers have spent over $60 million on Blu-ray titles last week, representing 14% of the total home media market.

Reports from the Home Media Magazine, state that Blu-ray sales experienced a dramatic increase of 167%. This increase is mainly due to the release of The Dark Knight. There were several other successful movies such as Wall-E and Wanted. Wall-E followed closely behind The Dark Knight. It is definitely a significant achievement for Blu-ray sales to reach 14% of the home media market, considering all of the various forms of audio and video formats out there.

According to Star Tribune, there is twice as many Blu-ray players sold versus DVD players during the same point in its life. This does not even account for the PS3 sales. There is no doubt that the adoption rate for Blu-ray is much faster than that of the DVD. However, some have criticized that the adoption rate is not fast enough. I suppose there are some that believed that the switch from DVD to Blu-ray should have been instantaneous, but that is clearly ridiculous as format acceptance takes time.

Blu-ray has only been out on the market in full force for two years, with exception to a five month soft market build up for holiday Q4 of December 2006. Also considering that Blur-ray spent the first year battling it out with HD-DVD, clearly it is too early for the adoption to reach 100%.

However, with the announcement of a hybrid Blu-ray DVD disc, the adoption rate may surge much quicker. Consumers that may be on the fence about Blu-ray can safely purchase these hybrid discs that can be played on both devices.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Blu-ray has only been out on the market in full force for two years, with exception to a five month soft market build up for holiday Q4 of December 2006. Also considering that Blur-ray spent the first year battling it out with HD-DVD, clearly it is too early for the adoption to reach 100%.
LMAO!

That's a hell of a typo in that article.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:20 PM

I was in Costco and Best Buy this afternoon in Los Anheles and went over to the both DVD/Bluray section. and people were crowded into the Blu areas more than the sides for DVDs (and to still those would make a snide remark, - no names mentioned - Lee! - oops, did I say that out loud? -yes, they were buying them). Costco has some good sale prices on right now, things like Romancing the Stone and Jewel on the Nile and a few other Fox titles at $16.99 each, Body Heat at $12.99, plus sales on Disneys, WB, and others.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned

And seeing and hearing reports that some B&M and online retailers are sold out of BD players is really great news. The Panasonic seems to be in short supply just about everywhere in my area.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskiessmingatme View Post
I was in Costco and Best Buy this afternoon in Los Anheles and went over to the both DVD/Bluray section. and people were crowded into the Blu areas more than the sides for DVDs (and to still those would make a snide remark, - no names mentioned - Lee! - oops, did I say that out loud? -yes, they were buying them). Costco has some good sale prices on right now, things like Romancing the Stone and Jewel on the Nile and a few other Fox titles at $16.99 each, Body Heat at $12.99, plus sales on Disneys, WB, and others.
. . .

Yes - I know how that goes . . .

Anyone who is Pro BD - when they go to a B&M - the BD aisle is a mad house.

Anyone who is Anti BD - when they go to a B&M - there is no one in the BD aisle.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
And seeing and hearing reports that some B&M and online retailers are sold out of BD players is really great news. The Panasonic seems to be in short supply just about everywhere in my area.
Yes - I have read that also:

Quote:
I'm talking about the B&M stores. I was at my local WM and they had stacks of both the Sammy 1500 and the Sony S350 for $298 and an empty spot for the Panny BD30 (not 35) for $248. I asked a sales guy about the Magnavox. He said they only had them for the BF sale. They didn't even have a place for it.
http://www.highdefforum.com/high-def...s-gone-up.html

Old 12-21-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
. . .

Yes - I know how that goes . . .

Anyone who is Pro BD - when they go to a B&M - the BD aisle is a mad house.

Anyone who is Anti BD - when they go to a B&M - there is no one in the BD aisle.
Well, I don't really see many people ever in either section to tell you the truth. Everyone I see at walmart and target are browsing games.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbert View Post
Well, I don't really see many people ever in either section to tell you the truth. Everyone I see at walmart and target are browsing games.
What are you doing out and about?

You are supposed to be in bed gertting rid of the flu.

Drink lots of liquids
Old 12-21-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
What are you doing out and about?

You are supposed to be in bed gertting rid of the flu.

Drink lots of liquids
This was a couple days ago when I went to target in the morning (granted I don't expect to see anyone at 8 or 9 am but people were holiday shopping, in gaming section mostly.

At walmart same situation but at 6pm that same day.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
Same in my area. Also noticed today that the Targets in my town are sold out of the sale Blu Ray player (Olevia).
Closed Thread