Why do people always compare the price of a BD to the price of a SE DVD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Question Why do people always compare the price of a BD to the price of a SE DVD?

Why do people always compare the price of a BD to the price of a SE DVD?

We know the lions share of DVD's sold are single disc movie only (unless you can only buy a 2 disc set).

EDIT:

I refer to D/D releases.

Last edited by Lee Stewart; 12-18-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:35 AM

Because I only compared TDK to special edition in particular because the digital copy comes with the SE and all the extras etc.

Movie only is movie only.

I understand your point about what the lions share of sales are, but there no other real worthwhile comparison to be made all the features that you see in the BD that you pay for are only available on the SE.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:36 AM

What difference does that make??

The majority of my blu-ray collection is single disc releases.

People get used to paying a certain amount for certain things and actually forget these prices took a while to get there.

Prices on software seem to be getting about right online but thie biggest complaint seems to be about Brick and mortar store pricing.

HMV near me in the UK is still trying to sell blu-ray movies at 30,that is 10 more than zavvi who sell at 20 which aint too bad but that is still more expensive than online.

The best brick and mortar store i have found is blockbusters,they have a good selection with planty of deals and prices are only 2 maybe 3 more than online at the worst of times.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 AM

because typically these days it's the most valid comparison to make. Most studios (those with a brain) realize that the people that are buying bluray now are the enthusiests there for what we get on bluray is typically the feature set that comes on the SE DVD. So it makes sense doesn't it?
Old 12-18-2008, 11:43 AM

Because the BD usually reflects the content of the SE DVD, only with the movie (and sometimes some bonus features) in HD.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:54 AM

The fanboys talk about it because the price difference is closer.

You can get a movie on bd for $25 or the SE DVD for $22.

You can get that same dvd without extras for $15-$17.

Makes their argument work to THEIR advantage.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
The fanboys talk about it because the price difference is closer.

You can get a movie on bd for $25 or the SE DVD for $22.

You can get that same dvd without extras for $15-$17.

Makes their argument work to THEIR advantage.
Of course it does, but do you think it is fair to compared the BD with the digital copy and extras to the dvd without those things?

I don't think it's very cut and dry. Obviously when it comes to marketshare and sales, we can't nor try to cut out the SE version from the movie only.

We're trying to compare apples to apples. Just because BD doesn't have a movie only copy doesn't mean it should be compared to the movie on version.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Different demographics that buy different versions of the movie.

You need to ask yourself "are the people buying Blu-ray the same people that are buying the single disc sets or the special editions"

If the majority of people buying Blu-ray would have bought the special edition DVD over the single disc then it would be a fairer comparisson to compare those two.

If the majority of people buying Blu-ray would buy the single disc DVD then you should compare prices to that.

I personally think the majority of people buying Blu-ray would be the people buying the Special edition.

Last edited by DaveS1138; 12-18-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Well - I have 2 schools of thought on this question:

1. It's the BD Supporters/Zealots way of reducing the difference between the cost of a DVD versus the cost of BD.

"Apples to Apples" comparison, as was said.

And I do see comments like; " The BD buyer would have bought the SE DVD if the BD wasn't available."

Which I do not agree with. Not after some of the polls I have seen run on the forums about the importance/desire for special features.

2. My other train of thought, is looking at the market the way it is today, and has been for a while. The difference between the SE DVD and the BD is usually only a few dollars apart - if that sometimes.

So the people who are willing to spend the extra money for the SE DVD and have an HDTV, are prime candidates for BD. It's just the cost of the player. Software prices are close enough to call it the same.

And I believe the studios are well aware of this and look to the SE DVD buyers as the next group of consumers to abandon DVD and go to BD.

PS: I added an EDIT to the OP. For clarification purposes.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
Different demographics that buy different versions of the movie.

You need to ask yourself "are the people buying Blu-ray the same people that are buying the single disc sets or the special editions"

If the majority of people buying Blu-ray would have bought the special edition DVD over the single disc then it would be a fairer comparisson to compare those two.

If the majority of people buying Blu-ray would buy the single disc DVD then you should compare prices to that.

I personally think the majority of people buying Blu-ray would be the people buying the Special edition.
I know that I was always severly dissapointed whenever I ended up with anything other than the SE version of the film in any AR other than the one that matches the AR of the film at the theater