Netflix Blu-ray adoption quicker than expected - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-09-2008, 03:27 PM

Default Netflix Blu-ray adoption quicker than expected

[URL="http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6621248.html"]

Quote:
DEC. 9 | Netflix chief financial officer Barry McCarthy said today that the company's subscribers have added the option of receiving Blu-ray Disc titles at a quicker rate than Netflix forecast in October.

McCarthy added that revenue gains amid the U.S. economic slump have allowed the company to spend more on marketing than it forecast.

Speaking at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference, McCarthy said Netflix already surpassed its year-end goal of having 500,000 subscribers pay an extra $1 a month for the option of renting Blu-ray titles.

The company expects to have about 9 million total subscribers by the end of the year.

Possibly benefiting from a U.S. economic slowdown that has likely forced many customers to go out less frequently for entertainment, Netflix reported that it has had better fourth-quarter sales than it expected, allowing the largest U.S. movie-rental service via mail to spend about 20% more on marketing than it had planned.

In addition to providing the Blu-ray option, the company has focused on boosting subscribers by making its inventory of more than 12,000 video-streaming titles available for TV viewing through components such as TiVo digital video recorders and Samsung Blu-ray Disc players.

"The economy's been very much our friend. We've had a remarkably strong quarter," said McCarthy. "There's no downward migration of price points by existing customers."

McCarthy also said he expected competitors such as Amazon.com and Apple to try to boost sales from digital titles by offering flat-priced monthly subscriptions similar to Netflix in addition to their pay-per-view options.

He went on to praise the recent financial results achieved by Blockbuster, the largest U.S. movie-rental chain, noting that the company's new leadership "under the circumstances has managed their turnaround extremely well." Blockbuster has been expanding its digital-download service while boosting revenue per store visitor by selling more videogames.
Great News for the format
Old 12-09-2008, 03:28 PM

Good to hear!

You have a link? Sure you're going to get asked.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryydr View Post
Good to hear!

You have a link? Sure you're going to get asked.
Sorry having problems posting. You will need to cut and paste from my first post. Again Sorry!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:33 PM

That's cool. As I said earlier good to hear.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:51 PM

Stop with all this good news!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Watcher of stances

since paying the extra 1$ a month, the BD's in my queue have become much more available.

i even got Dark Knight today, which i figured was impossible for a long term subscriber and i'd have to wait for weeks.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Stop with all this good news!!!
Heh.

If the good news doesn't stop soon, I fear for the health of the doomsayers around here.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
DEC. 9 | Netflix chief financial officer Barry McCarthy said today that the company's subscribers have added the option of receiving Blu-ray Disc titles at a quicker rate than Netflix forecast in October.

McCarthy added that revenue gains amid the U.S. economic slump have allowed the company to spend more on marketing than it forecast.

Speaking at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference, McCarthy said Netflix already surpassed its year-end goal of having 500,000 subscribers pay an extra $1 a month for the option of renting Blu-ray titles.

Netflix sees half million Blu-ray subs in current qtr

Quote:
LOS ANGELES, Oct 20 (Reuters) - DVD rental company Netflix Inc (NFLX.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) said on Monday it expects about 500,000 of its 8.7 million subscribers will be Blu-ray subscribers in the current quarter.

Netflix this month began adding $1 to monthly membership fees to provide unlimited access to high-definition Blu-ray movies. Netflix said the additional charge, to reflect the higher cost of Blu-ray discs, will be automatically added to billing statements on or after Nov. 5.

Subscribers who do not want Blu-ray access must adjust their accounts through the Netflix website.

Netflix told analysts on a call it expected the number of Blu-ray subscribers to increase. (Reporting by Sue Zeidler)
http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...53690320081020
Old 12-09-2008, 04:51 PM

What part are you confused on? The fact that they forecast 500k by the end of the year, or that they passed that mark with three weeks to go in the year? See, they passed their forecast and still have three weeks to add to it.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Netflix sees half million Blu-ray subs in current qtr

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...53690320081020

As a netflix subscriber and one that rents BD, I can tell you that I was sent 3 different notices, 2 through US mail and one through email telling me about the upcharge.

Additionally, each time I received a notice, I was also given a very clear explanation on where I could go to stop receiving BD rentals and thus, forgo the $1 upcharge per month.

I'm guessing they had the majority of people keep the BD option after the upcharge and have added quite a few more with the new BD decks going out.

Lastly, not everyone that has a BD player rents from Netflix.