BD-Live must die! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Default BD-Live must die!

BD-Live and all other technologies allowing interactions during movie playback are a very bad idea. Truly abysmal. They must be destroyed before they destroy the entire movie watching experience! (Seriously!)

Think about it.

Didn't you jump on the high-def movie bandwagon because you wanted to enjoy the best picture and sound possible when playing back your movies? I want to take full advantage of every pixel I paid for on my TV screen. If the movie is shrunk to a smaller portion of the screen to make room for "interactive comments" during a movie, the quality of the movie playback has been reduced and the "suspension of disbelief" necessary to watch and enjoy the move has been broken.

Now - that above is the argument for the movie purists (like myself) who just want to enjoy the movie. What follows is the argument that should scare *everyone* and convince them to join with me in the hopes that BD-Live and all in-movie interactive technologies must die!

You want to know what the "killer" BD-Live app is going to be? It's obvious. I'll tell you. But first - I want you to think about the IM tools you use to chat with your friends and co-workers. Or think about this web-site. They're great, right? And they're free too? Because all you have to do to install the free IM-chatting software or use this free web-site we're talking on right now is to tolerate small advertisements that constantly update in one or more portions of the screen. (See where I'm going with this? See the drool coming out of the screen as the ad-executives reading this start to catch on?)

That's what the "killer" BD-Live app will be. It will be a constantly updated ad-ware window shown below or above or beside your movie during movie playback. Once the studios realize they can sell ads for the entire length of the movie, that's what we'll see. Movie companies and ad-executives will like it even better than ads in theaters or on TV because - using BD-Live - the ads can always be updated to be current with today's products and markets. They can probably - easily even - use a little programming skills to identify your player - match it to your household - and target the ads BOTH to the movie you're watching AND to your personal, specific demographic(s).

And then they can start "giving away" the movies. "Perfect sound and video high-def" blu-ray discs for only $5 each - with the BD-Live option that you can't turn off requiring the ad-ware windows to always be shown while playing the disc. (If the BD-Live isn't activated or can't connect to the internet - because, for example, you unplug your player from the internet or you're using a 1.0 player - then the movie won't play. Sorry. The ad-ware has been integrated to the movie-playback functionality of the disc. The entire movie-playback is bundled in the BD-live section of the disc - and the "pure movie" section of the disc, playable on all BD players, is just a blank screen saying "sorry - you must have BD-live and an active internet connection to play this movie.")

This is exactly what happened to TV. The original inventors of TV thought commercials were a horrible idea and would die of quickly because "no-one would want to watch their shows only to have them interrupted constantly with commercials" (not an exact quote, but it WAS the sentiment of the original TV inventors). Here we are, decades later, and we all know that commercials and television are permanently joined. And now - with BD-Live or any other interactive movie technology - the same thing can (and will) happen with movies.

Is that what we want?

No.

Say it louder.

NO. NO!!! NO!!!!

I hope you agree with me. BD-Live - and any other technology allowing "interactivity" during movie playback - must die. Show NO support for BD-Live. Don't use it or any other interactive features. Let them die off from lack of use. Or soon it will be too late....

Don't say you weren't warned.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Banned

Paranoia....
Old 12-04-2008, 02:41 PM

Ah, the free market is a great and fabulous thing. Just as quick as commercials are implemented, something will come right along to negate them.

So, no...I am not worried about it, and I'll take your warning with a grain of salt.

sounds like a good investment opportunity, though...start working on a work-around and you will be a rich, rich fellow.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:44 PM

What a completely insane rant, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:45 PM

hell if it meant free movies or even really cheap ones i could dig unskippable ads at the start of a movie.

But i think this post has really defined paranoia and stupidity. bottom line is such a product would be hacked, circumvented, and not very popular anyway. so i dont think we need to worry about having pop up ads in our movies.

hell i dont even think unskippable ads that essentially pay for our movie are likely.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 PM

I'm sure something annoying has a good chance of resulting from Internet connectivity all over everything, but I doubt that mandatory, unremovable ad banners or commercial breaks during the movie itself will be happening anytime soon. Can you imagine the uproar?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:49 PM

To negate the entire post of the OP: This is why I have my PS3 ask me if I want to view the BD Live features. All I have to do is select no and it's over. Now, just how diffcult is that?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:51 PM

BD-Live is optional.

It will never be mandatory for that reason.

Did you forget that part?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:52 PM

So we havent seen adds runnning during the film at the cinema because nobody would put up with it......

We havent seen adds running during the film on DVD because nobody would put up with it......

But suddenly everybody is going to be OK with adds running during a Blu-ray because BD-Live is some spawn of Satan sent to melt the brains of honest film buffs everywhere????

ermmmm.........ok

They dont let you play with sharp objects where you are do they? How did you get onto a computer? Is the nurse not watching you closely enough today
Old 12-04-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
BD-Live and all other technologies allowing interactions during movie playback are a very bad idea. Truly abysmal. They must be destroyed before they destroy the entire movie watching experience! (Seriously!)

Think about it.

Didn't you jump on the high-def movie bandwagon because you wanted to enjoy the best picture and sound possible when playing back your movies? I want to take full advantage of every pixel I paid for on my TV screen. If the movie is shrunk to a smaller portion of the screen to make room for "interactive comments" during a movie, the quality of the movie playback has been reduced and the "suspension of disbelief" necessary to watch and enjoy the move has been broken.

Now - that above is the argument for the movie purists (like myself) who just want to enjoy the movie. What follows is the argument that should scare *everyone* and convince them to join with me in the hopes that BD-Live and all in-movie interactive technologies must die!

You want to know what the "killer" BD-Live app is going to be? It's obvious. I'll tell you. But first - I want you to think about the IM tools you use to chat with your friends and co-workers. Or think about this web-site. They're great, right? And they're free too? Because all you have to do to install the free IM-chatting software or use this free web-site we're talking on right now is to tolerate small advertisements that constantly update in one or more portions of the screen. (See where I'm going with this? See the drool coming out of the screen as the ad-executives reading this start to catch on?)

That's what the "killer" BD-Live app will be. It will be a constantly updated ad-ware window shown below or above or beside your movie during movie playback. Once the studios realize they can sell ads for the entire length of the movie, that's what we'll see. Movie companies and ad-executives will like it even better than ads in theaters or on TV because - using BD-Live - the ads can always be updated to be current with today's products and markets. They can probably - easily even - use a little programming skills to identify your player - match it to your household - and target the ads BOTH to the movie you're watching AND to your personal, specific demographic(s).

And then they can start "giving away" the movies. "Perfect sound and video high-def" blu-ray discs for only $5 each - with the BD-Live option that you can't turn off requiring the ad-ware windows to always be shown while playing the disc. (If the BD-Live isn't activated or can't connect to the internet - because, for example, you unplug your player from the internet or you're using a 1.0 player - then the movie won't play. Sorry. The ad-ware has been integrated to the movie-playback functionality of the disc. The entire movie-playback is bundled in the BD-live section of the disc - and the "pure movie" section of the disc, playable on all BD players, is just a blank screen saying "sorry - you must have BD-live and an active internet connection to play this movie.")

This is exactly what happened to TV. The original inventors of TV thought commercials were a horrible idea and would die of quickly because "no-one would want to watch their shows only to have them interrupted constantly with commercials" (not an exact quote, but it WAS the sentiment of the original TV inventors). Here we are, decades later, and we all know that commercials and television are permanently joined. And now - with BD-Live or any other interactive movie technology - the same thing can (and will) happen with movies.

Is that what we want?

No.

Say it louder.

NO. NO!!! NO!!!!

I hope you agree with me. BD-Live - and any other technology allowing "interactivity" during movie playback - must die. Show NO support for BD-Live. Don't use it or any other interactive features. Let them die off from lack of use. Or soon it will be too late....

Don't say you weren't warned.
Your assertion is moronic because if the only thing that kills movies and hollywood are the giant corporate monsters that run them. They often will take a great box office film and try to duplicate it in cookie cutter fasion and try to stay away from unique interesting films cause they are deemed too "RISKY".

If anything any internet technology which can better voice the movie goers thoughts on something only helps us in general.

If you think that this is actually going to happen with in movie advertising you are horribly mistaken and possibly a little slow.

If anything then your saying PIP is evil too because why stream the commercial when you can have an ADD paid for up front to be displayed just from the disc even with out bd live.

GOD are we hurting for news that badly that this is the most recent topic

BTW if your a movie purist why dont you just keep the commentary off when you watch the damn film. I means come on which movie has PIP on by default or any other feature.