Starting to doubt High-Def Digest reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-03-2008, 12:58 AM

Default Starting to doubt High-Def Digest reviews

I posted this in the BD software section as well, but maybe this belongs in smackdown. I saw a review on the Kingdom for on ultimateavmag.com. The review says that the with a AVC encode has measurable improvements on the previously released with a VC-1 encode. So naturally I looked at the HDD review to see their take on it, and Ken Brown states that the has the exact same encode as the , the specs on the left show an AVC encode. So then I check the review and guess what...the specs state a VC-1 encode He reviewed both too...Ken Brown's credibility going down the toilet for me.

review
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1232/kingdom2007.html

review
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1772/kingdom.html
Old 12-03-2008, 01:01 AM

Well, I think we'd need to know if the new one in fact does look better...anyone here made the comparison?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:17 AM

Thats nothing compared to giving this DNR&EE mess 4 stars.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Man View Post
Thats nothing compared to giving this DNR&EE mess 4 stars.
4.5 stars and I wouldn't buy it anyway.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 AM

First, keep in mind that each reviewer will have something different to say and these reviews are based on opinion, not any statistical facts. So someone at another site posting a different opinion isn't any more "right" than Ken, or anyone else. The only question is, does your opinion usually fall in line with the reviewer's?

Second, if Ken made a mistake in his review thinking these were the same video encodes, why does that put his credibility in the toilet for you? Do you think the reviewer over at ultimateavmag.com (or any other site) has never made a mistake?

The technical mistake here means next to nothing unless there is a noticeable difference in video quality between the two encodes, which I highly doubt there is. I've watched the HD DVD version 3 times and it looks wonderful. I challenge anyone to put up a blind taste test using screen shots. If there is a "noticeable improvement", it should be readily apparent right?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 AM

I find their disc reviews pretty good, but their movie review is way off base at times. I sometimes wonder if they even watch the movie before reviewing it.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 AM

IMHO:

Josh Z = 5 stars
Ken= 3.5 stars
Peter = 2 stars
Old 12-03-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm082e View Post
First, keep in mind that each reviewer will have something different to say and these reviews are based on opinion, not any statistical facts. So someone at another site posting a different opinion isn't any more "right" than Ken, or anyone else. The only question is, does your opinion usually fall in line with the reviewer's?

Second, if Ken made a mistake in his review thinking these were the same video encodes, why does that put his credibility in the toilet for you? Do you think the reviewer over at ultimateavmag.com (or any other site) has never made a mistake?

The technical mistake here means next to nothing unless there is a noticeable difference in video quality between the two encodes, which I highly doubt there is. I've watched the HD DVD version 3 times and it looks wonderful. I challenge anyone to put up a blind taste test using screen shots. If there is a "noticeable improvement", it should be readily apparent right?
Well the thing is had he said that wasn't a difference I wouldn't have thought much of it, everyone has a different opinion, so let's get that straight. It's the fact he took the time to even mention that it's the same encode. If you actually read the video review he basically cut and pasted his HD-DVD review in place, yet somehow missed the fact that the had a VC-1 encode. Makes me even wonder if he even watches the that were released before on . The only thing that makes me believe he even played the was his review of the audio. Maybe Ken is more of an audiophile and perhaps he watched with his eyes closed .

BTW it's not IF he made a mistake, he did make a mistake thinking it was the same encode.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker4Life View Post
I find their disc reviews pretty good, but their movie review is way off base at times. I sometimes wonder if they even watch the movie before reviewing it.
That's about where I am... I fairly frequently disagree with the reviewers opinion of the film, but as far as disc quality I've found HDD to be nearly 100% spot on.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker4Life View Post
Same here......I think they should drop the 5 star rating of the film and just keep to the technical specs. If I am going to buy the film I already know if I like it or not. I really dont need to know what they thought of it.

People may not like 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' but when this site rates 'Zombie Strippers' as a better movie I think the movie rating has clearly lost all meaning.