BD is for summer blockbusters - comments - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-18-2008, 07:39 PM

Default BD is for summer blockbusters - comments

someone commented that BD especially with its current premium price - is only for blockbusters. that was why we only good revenue figures during weeks with major blockbuster releases.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxboi View Post
someone commented that BD especially with its current premium price - is only for blockbusters. that was why we only good revenue figures during weeks with major blockbuster releases.
And "someone" commented that BD is great for any movie, TV show, or concert; regardless of an approximate $10 premium in price over similar DVD's.

Wow. What a "meaty" thread you've started.

Hey, I've got another one:
"Someone commented that HD-DVD's, when melted down are ....still worth next to nothing."

or

"Someone commented that Digital Downloads have ZERO resale value."
Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Same can be said about DVD or any video media o_O

Seriously, is it really that slow a news day?
"Someone" ... LOL

- T

Last edited by tolitzpogi; 11-18-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I must have missed that memo whilst I was watching 2001 and being blown away by the incredible picture, Or whilst watching Planet Earth, or From Russia with Love ect ect ect
Old 11-18-2008, 09:27 PM

I picked up Close Encounters yesterday, and for a 31 year old flick, it looked pretty good and sounded even better (though not as good as Dr. No or FRWL). Surprised that it had both TrueHD AND DTS HD MA options.

So yeah, if a proper care is given to the mastering, it's not for summer blockbusters alone.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:34 PM

although I somewhat agree, since I will only upgrade big loud movies to Bluray as they are released. But theres no way in hell I would buy anything else than BD for a movie I dont already own, no matter the genre.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolitzpogi View Post
Same can be said about DVD or any video media o_O

This is indeed...one of the most retarded "issues" anyone could come up with. You're right, it is the same damn thing with DVD. It's also the same damn thing in the theatrical market. It's the same damn thing for ancillary television sales. Hell, it's the same damn thing for consumer products. They're ALL primarily driven by key blockbusters. They don't call them tentpoles cause they're happy to see you.

Catalog titles, offbeat arthouse whatever...these are great sources of revenue. But they're not majority revenue drivers...on any format, any type of distribution...anything. I have no idea why people bemoan the most successful films being...the most successful films on Blu-ray. Especially people like xboxboi, who don't have a fucking clue how well anything is doing to even say whether stuff is doing well or not.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:03 PM

I'm someone, and I'll go ahead and comment that bluray is awesome for any movie at any time. I'm replacing out DVD's with bluray's faster than VHS tapes got replaced.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 PM

This thread delivers!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
And the adult industry's liking of HDDVD in the beginning of the war was a sign that the format was only for...?

Pro-B