Why do Studio & Manufacturer still fully Support DVD? Take "WALLl*E" DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-15-2008, 11:49 PM

Angry Why do Studio & Manufacturer still fully Support DVD? Take "WALLl*E" DVD

I can't believe they are now releasing a DVD with Digital Copies? Sure there are ways but this make BD's with them meaningless.

Why NOT release Bare Bone, Single Disc DVD? Why do Studios still continue to fully support it?

Then there's Toshiba with it's XDE "Super Upconverting" 1080p DVD player. Okay, I can guess I can understand why but what about Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, etc., why not pull it/stop production on it.

I'm upset, confused about where they stand. It's been 12 years since DVD launched, it's time to let it go and FORCE consumers to upgrade. They did with HDTV's right?

I don't know who DOESN'T own HDTV but when it comes to CONTENT, they could care less, for many it's just about bragging rights, owning 50"+. This is why DVD is still selling very well and Upconverting DVD doesn't help knowing that they can get "1080p" from it.

This $50, $100 price drop on BD players doesn't mean anything when BD's (New Releases) are still for $25+ and of course this rant. LOL
Old 11-15-2008, 11:54 PM

I feel your pain but 90% of revenue still comes from DVD and the studios and manufacturers aren't about to sacrifice that to speed up BD adoption.

Blu-ray will eventually become the standard but it's going to take some time. Remember, up until about a year ago you still frequently saw VHS players in stores and that was 11 years into DVD's lifespan. I would imagine that 10 years from now you will still see DVD players, upgrading DVD players, and whatever other new ideas Toshiba comes up with in stores as well.

Studios (rightfully) want to make every buck they can so there is no rush for them to make drastic decisions.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:56 PM

everyone and his brother knows the reason why dvd is still KING for the studios--

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

when the time is right though the "phased withdrawal" will begin.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bembol View Post
I can't believe they are now releasing a DVD with Digital Copies? Sure there are ways but this make BD's with them meaningless.

Why NOT release Bare Bone, Single Disc DVD? Why do Studios still continue to fully support it?

Then there's Toshiba with it's XDE "Super Upconverting" 1080p DVD player. Okay, I can guess I can understand why but what about Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, etc., why not pull it/stop production on it.

I'm upset, confused about where they stand. It's been 12 years since DVD launched, it's time to let it go and FORCE consumers to upgrade. They did with HDTV's right?

I don't know who DOESN'T own HDTV but when it comes to CONTENT, they could care less, for many it's just about bragging rights, owning 50"+. This is why DVD is still selling very well and Upconverting DVD doesn't help knowing that they can get "1080p" from it.

This $50, $100 price drop on BD players doesn't mean anything when BD's (New Releases) are still for $25+ and of course this rant. LOL

Ummmm because that is where the studios are making their money at this point.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:22 AM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

anyone have any numbers on how the bluray of sleeping beauty sold in comparison with the standard dvd of sleeping beauty.

with there being a standard dvd included with the bluray it would make sense for someone to pick up the bluray version more so than the standard version. i know i picked mine up for 21.99 at bestbuy(price matched from frys) and the reg dvd there was 17.99 not much difference
Old 11-16-2008, 01:50 AM

DVD is owned by 95% of the consumers. cost per disc is a few cents, top that with packaging and memorabilia you are looking at couple of dollars. New DVDs sells for 20 plus dollars, profit margin=upwards of $20. Now look at BD, cost per disc is a few bucks (let's assume $2 wholesale prices for major studios coz they buy millions) plus packaging etc and you are looking at $5 or so. New BDs sell for $30ish, profit margin-upwards of $2. To them it DOES NOT make any difference, they will milk the DVD cash cow as long as they possibly can. Till about the millennium every single movie was released in VHS. used to piss me off but heck they made big dollars on each sale. They will continue to do it for another 5 years if not less.

I agree with you but someone has worked for HP and Best Buy's Regional head offices, I can tell you that the Board of Directors abs doesn't care about anything but the profit $$.

Hope it makes sense.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
when the time is right though the "phased withdrawal" will begin.
The time, especially as far as pricing is concerned, will begin next year. (Feel free to bookmark this post for future reference).

Pro-B
Old 11-16-2008, 02:09 AM

I'm a bit miffed on that forced adoption of HDTV's and the dumping of standard definition quality CRT's that went with it.
If anyone knows where I can get a good sized, QUALITY Japanese CRT TV I'm interested. ONLY Japanese if you please or rather I would prefer that. I want the RGB input that comes with them for my older consoles. There are no component cables for the SNES, Saturn, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, Jaguar, etc.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:47 AM

There are so many dvd players out there that the idea of phasing dvd out is silly.
DVD is in its golden age .Cheap players,cheap movies,better remastered movies,great packaging with new special features,tv shows whole seasons for cheap.
The studios would be cutting their own throats if they started forcing blu ray on people.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:38 AM

bembol,

millions of people don't have (and will never have) an hdtv, and millions of people are lucky to have an old tv with a cheap dvd player for entertainment. it is unreasonable to expect an overnight change from sd-based media to hd-based media.

just look at the changeover from analog to digital broadcasting. the deadline was pushed back several times, and strictly speaking, the switch doesn't even have to be high-def (just digital).