Reuters: is it do or die for Blu-Ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 PM

Default Reuters: is it do or die for Blu-Ray?

The article gives the impression that the studios see this Christmas' sales as a bellweather on whether or not to continue to support the format:

" . . execs said season sales will be carefully scrutinized after Jan 1. Depending on how things go with HD discs and other packaged goods sales, it's possible that the industry's go-slow approach on digital downloads could accelerate."

There is also some hope that a bad Christmas might result is lower prices:

"We're all constantly looking at (disc) pricing," Sony vp business development Rich Marty said. "What it amounts to is that we'll wait until after the fourth quarter and see how it goes."

http://www.reuters.com/article/indus...4AB0XM20081113

That means that a bad Christmas might be good for consumers. You will end up with some studios lowering BD prices while others accelerate development of new formats.

Also Kotaku: "Economic Crisis Could Kill Blu-Ray"

http://kotaku.com/5085847/economic-c...d-kill-blu+ray
Old 11-13-2008, 06:30 PM

Hmmm, well I guess we'll see what happens. I certainly hope this holiday season is gangbusters for bluray.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 PM

honestly the economic downturn, i.e. "Great Depression 2008" has changed everything.
Nobody can expect anything anymore regarding bd meeting certain sales goals for the near future, but
blu-ray will be fine in the long run.
It will replace dvd within 5 years imo
I really am not worried about its survival at all anymore to tell you the truth.
The studios will slowly phase out dvd when the time is right.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:36 PM

I think mostly what I'm worried about is whether a bad season for bluray will perhaps not so much kill the format, but seriously hamper further development of innovative BD-Live features and pip tracks. Lets face it, for the amount of marketing value as these features have studios might be more apt to look at the price tag of getting them on disc if sales this holiday season are a little too soft for their tastes.

I'd hate to go back to what we were getting at the start of the war, HDM releases that *MAYBE* have the theatrical trailer on disc along with the movie. I still get a little sad when I put in my Kingdom of Heaven bluray and think about all those wonderful featurettes my DVD set had (that I got rid of) only to find nothing but the theatrical trailer on the bluray. Why couldn't fox at least port the SD speacial features?? ugh!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

Black Friday sucks for Blu-ray.

And Best Buys Black Friday deals are out!

Samsung 1500 $199
Sony S350 $249
Insignia $249 ($50 increase?)

And a handful of decent BDs for $16.99 (Indy, Panda)
http://bfads.net/Best-Buy/Name/Page2
Old 11-13-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
" . . execs said season sales will be carefully scrutinized after Jan 1. Depending on how things go with HD discs and other packaged goods sales, it's possible that the industry's go-slow approach on digital downloads could accelerate."
I seriously doubt it. Face it, people are not exactly lining up to buy AppleTV's and Vudu boxes right now. The same economic concerns effect downloads just as much (if not more). To get the most out of HD downloads you will need a top-tiered broadband account and hope that ISP's do not cap you or at least offer you generous caps. That could cost money. Not to mention the price of Blu-Ray players is dropping to the point that they are cheaper than most download hardware, and the cost to rent Blu-Ray vs an HD download is also cheaper.

Downloads are simply not a more economical option and that is a key concern if the economy is also affecting Blu-Ray.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
I think mostly what I'm worried about is whether a bad season for bluray will perhaps not so much kill the format, but seriously hamper further development of innovative BD-Live features and pip tracks.
I think that observation is spot on. I seriously doubt that a bad Christmas will cause Bd to vanish overnight. But it looks like the studios are signaling that they might change the amount of emphasis it gets in terms of their overall strategy.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Black Friday sucks for Blu-ray.

And Best Buys Black Friday deals are out!

Samsung 1500 $199
Sony S350 $249
Insignia $249 ($50 increase?)

And a handful of decent BDs for $16.99 (Indy, Panda)
http://bfads.net/Best-Buy/Name/Page2
That is weak. The Samsung 1500 is not a bad deal. I believe that Insignia player is the new 2.0 player, but the $249 price does not make sense. I wonder if there are additional incentives like free movies or something?

It looks like they also have a PS3 with a free movie and game. Still weak when you consider the Walmart $100 gift card deals...
Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
I seriously doubt it. Face it, people are not exactly lining up to buy AppleTV's and Vudu boxes right now. The same economic concerns effect downloads just as much (if not more).
Actually xbox 360 sales have been on of the lone bright spots in the in electronics market. HD Netflix on Xbox is extremely cost effective and actually more convenient than BD.

The downside is that is suffers the same limitations as BD -- namely that its associated with hardware that is primarilly viewed as a gaming device.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:50 PM

some good points in the article:

Quote:
Blu-ray backers can take heart in the relatively modest negative impact of economic downturns on tech rollouts, said analyst Tom Adams of Adams Media Research in Carmel Valley, Calif.

"It may slow adoption down a little bit if there's a recession brewing," Adams said. "But in the adoption of other successful technologies over the next 50 years, it hasn't been more than a speed bump."

In any event, Blu-ray proponents shouldn't panic over the prospect of a longer slog toward broad consumer embrace than some might have hoped for, Fox's Kaye said. "It never happens overnight," he shrugged.

Contrarians have suggested the spread of HDTV sets might not prompt a corresponding rush to Blu-ray if consumers opt instead to boost DVD image resolution via so-called upconverting technology. But those kind of image manipulations fail to match Blu-ray standards and won't pass muster with the majority of consumers, MacPherson said.

"For me, it's the difference between costume jewelry and a diamond," the Disney executive said. "Costume jewelry is nice, but I still want the diamond."

Still, despite panelists bullishness on Blu-ray, execs said season sales will be carefully scrutinized after Jan 1. Depending on how things go with HD discs and other packaged goods sales, it's possible that the industry's go-slow approach on digital downloads could accelerate.

So far, Hollywood has been experimenting with a bifurcated digital strategy, making some titles available for digital downloading and consigning others to "digital copy" editions of DVD releases. Purchasers of such discs can upload a digital copy of a movie from the DVD to a personal computer.
definitely a lot of optimism in there from those that have a stake in the format. but how the economy is going to affect it remains to be seen.