Yahoo Fud? Blu-ray the next Laserdisc - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-01-2008, 02:23 PM

Default Yahoo Fud? Blu-ray the next Laserdisc

there's a new headline on yahoo, claiming Blu is the next laserdisc.

you can search for the article if you like but some things that made me scratch my head

For one it doesn't even mention downloadable/streaming video as blu's "killer" just merely that consumers will stick with dvd over upgrading for a "little" better picture

...has the blogger even seen a blu-ray film? and if he's ignoring the sound as well I'm guessing not

He also goes on to point out Blu-rays future is bleak based on only 4% acceptance of the format.

4%? I have no idea where this number comes from. But for one was laserdisc ever that high?

lastly the writer claims that he has a blu ay player sitting next to a dvd player and only uses the dvd player
WHY? did someone neglect to tell him that a blu-ray player can play dvd's also? My only belief is that he's playing normal dvd's in his blu-ray player, not realizing the "upscaling" of the picture and assuming that's how DVD's "normally look

Any thoughts? FUD always gets me riled
Old 11-01-2008, 02:31 PM

linky? would be helpful
Old 11-01-2008, 03:10 PM

Here's the link http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/108657. I think it's B.S.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Yawn, another 'blog' inspired by that other rediclulous 'blog' earlier in the week.

Virtually identical articles cropped up when DVD was launched, nothing changes.

Just look at the first comment:-
Quote:
Definitely in a death spiral. The big stores are GIVING AWAY BD discs now - buy one, get 2 free and other nonsense like that - they have zero sales for BD discs and players
These things are so rediculous I don't know why I'm crediting it with a response!
Old 11-01-2008, 03:26 PM

He's using the DVD player more because the BR player like most SA are a pain in the ass and slow as hell. And the benefit is not worth the hassle. This is a BIG problem. And It's sad none of the CEs have been able to correct this. The new players may be better but with all the negative press is it too late?
Old 11-01-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGUAR1977 View Post
Yawn, another 'blog' inspired by that other rediclulous 'blog' earlier in the week.

Virtually identical articles cropped up when DVD was launched, nothing changes.

Just look at the first comment:-

These things are so rediculous I don't know why I'm crediting it with a response!
What you fail to realize is that all these blogs are read every day by potential buyers. But some of you guys just call them bitter fanboys instead of caring about their complaints. They are valid ones that anyone besides the blind faithful see as a problem.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Is Blu-ray dead? When people like me who have both units sitting side by side actively prefer using DVD instead of BD whenever they can, you've definitely got some trouble ahead.

Your thoughts?
Yeah, your an idiot if you can't see and hear the obvious difference between a Blu-ray and an upscaled DVD. What the hell is his BD player model and what is his HDTV?
Old 11-01-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
Yeah, your an idiot if you can't see and hear the obvious difference between a Blu-ray and an upscaled DVD. What the hell is his BD player model and what is his HDTV?
This is a classic example of when people see only what they want too. You might want to go back, take a deep breath and read the article again. Because I don't know how you came to your conclusion about what the author was saying. he clearly stated

"That upscaled DVD players, which can be had for $50 or $60, look almost as good as content played on a Blu-ray player. Consumers just don't see the value proposition in upgrading their hardware, particularly given that players are still over $200. What's a little better picture worth? With Blu-ray pegged at a four percent market share, most people seem to be saying not that much."

And the only reason I got for using the SD player more was out of frustration with his players performance. I'm sorry but you guys simple amaze me sometimes.

In before " He should just buy a !!! "
Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
"That upscaled DVD players, which can be had for $50 or $60, look almost as good as content played on a Blu-ray player..."
He's a fool if he honestly believes this. Blu-ray's picture and sound blow away any upscaled DVD. You will never see the "3D effect" on an upscaled DVD. It's ignorant, amateurish comments from people like him that piss me off at certain times. This guy has zero credibility.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
What you fail to realize is that all these blogs are read every day by potential buyers. But some of you guys just call them bitter fanboys instead of caring about their complaints. They are valid ones that anyone besides the blind faithful see as a problem.
Hey, there's positive blogs out there also being read as well. I don't think anyone is discrediting that people read blogs.