Red Dawn - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Red Dawn

Just watched this again over XBL. It had been a while, the movie is pretty much just NRA propaganda (it's written and directed by John Milius after all!) but I still have a soft spot for it anyway.

The print could have used some restoration but there was good amount of detail and good colour in the brighter scenes. I've seen better HD picture quality over XBL but it was still the best version of this film I've seen yet.

Out of curiosity I searched for the review of the playstation disc on the site here, just to see what the reviewers made of the films subtext in the modern climate. Turns out the release was canceled.

Just wondering how everyone feels about the disc release of films being canned when there are HD copies ready to download elsewhere. Not a good indication of commitment by the studios if you ask me...
Old 10-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
Just watched this again over XBL. It had been a while, the movie is pretty much just NRA propaganda (it's written and directed by John Milius after all!) but I still have a soft spot for it anyway.

The print could have used some restoration but there was good amount of detail and good colour in the brighter scenes. I've seen better HD picture quality over XBL but it was still the best version of this film I've seen yet.

Out of curiosity I searched for the review of the playstation disc on the site here, just to see what the reviewers made of the films subtext in the modern climate. Turns out the release was canceled.

Just wondering how everyone feels about the disc release of films being canned when there are HD copies ready to download elsewhere. Not a good indication of commitment by the studios if you ask me...
I was going to use the rolls eyes smiley, but didn't know whether to use it for NRA propaganda or playstation disc. Regardless, I see no problem with studios commitments. In fact I could have probably used the smiley for that also.

Last edited by Rob71; 10-12-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:22 PM

So in the end you opted for "half-smile-with-sunglasses" emoticon. Not quite sure what that's really meant to convey, other than an inability to actually articulate a real opinion on the subject. But hey, thanks for contributing.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned

What was the question?
Old 10-12-2008, 02:54 PM

If we had anything but speculation as to why the release was cancelled perhaps I could have a legitimate opinion.

I loved this movie when I was a kid and I bought a copy on DVD a few years' back but I rarely watch it. I'm just as happy watching it upconverted as I am seeing movies on DVD bandwidth download.

If I were going to speculate on why it was cancelled I'd guess that the master was so old and dirty that they figured they weren't going to get much better than the DVD or download without a remaster that would be more expensive than estimated sales would justify.

...WTF is a "Playstation Disc"??
Old 10-12-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
The print could have used some restoration but ...
I think this answers the question. Sure doesn't sound like the copy if ready for prime time. In addition, I'm sure the studios are interested in titles at this point in time that will generate more revenue.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:05 PM

I never saw the movie as a NRA advert, I mean if you're going to take that position with red dawn then frankly you could make the same judgement about most hollywood flix. Red dawn is completely awesome.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
I never saw the movie as a NRA advert, I mean if you're going to take that position with red dawn then frankly you could make the same judgement about most hollywood flix. Red dawn is completely awesome.
Cant agree with your last point but I agree with everything else.....Just look back at the time this movie was made in. It was pretty average for the gung ho America takes on the might of the Russian empire and wins films of the day.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:

Please, please send me a PM when it is time to sell my "playstation disc" gear - otherwise known as bluray. Laying it on really thick there, huh? Still watching your "xbox 360 discs", otherwise known as HD DVD?

I mean - since certain doom is impending, I would like to be able to maximize my selling value for all of my doomed bluray gear.

It is funny how down you are on HDM. And also pathetic. Luckily, people like you will be left to commiserate with each other over HD DVD, and will be forgotten as the years pass, as bluray becomes a product to match HDTVs purchases for years to come.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:47 PM

Seriously, it's funny how all these losers think incessantly calling it a "playstation disc" will actually diminish its value or its victory over the "toshiba disc"

- T