Buena Vista: Consumers are voting with their dollars and adopting Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-23-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Buena Vista: Consumers are voting with their dollars and adopting Blu-ray

“All this data points to the irrefutable facts that the consumers are voting with their dollars and adopting the revolutionary technology of the Blu-ray Disc,” said Bob Chapek, president of Buena Vista Home Entertainment. “With such beloved titles as Pirates of the Caribbean on the horizon, these numbers will only do one thing: grow.”

“Breaking the 1 million-unit mark is a significant milestone for Blu-ray because it represents rapidly growing consumer acceptance for this revolutionary platform,” added David Bishop, president of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. “I am confident that the numbers will increase, and more critical benchmarks will be reached to ensure Blu-ray’s position as the leading high-definition format.”

“Practically, Blu-ray launched this past November, and in just over one business quarter has rocketed to a significant lead,” noted Mike Dunn, president of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. “Consumers are clearly choosing Blu-ray as their high-def format of choice, and telling us so at retail cash registers.”

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...ticle_id=10559
Old 04-23-2007, 04:35 PM

Default WALMART will carry Sony’s new Blu-ray player when it is released

Retail behemoth Wal-Mart, heretofore a spectator regarding HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc, is quietly ramping up efforts to overcome its late arrival to the next-generation optical media party.

Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart is selling the recently reduced $399 Toshiba HD-D1 player ($348 online) and Blu-ray RCA HD V5000 ($450) and Philips BDP900 ($898) in about 750 stores, with movies in both formats available in additional stores, according to a company spokesperson.

Melissa O’Brien, senior manager of corporate communications for merchandise, said the chain will carry Sony’s new Blu-ray player when it is released. Wal-Mart also stocks Sony’s PlayStation 3 game console, which includes a Blu-ray drive.

Wal-Mart’s beachhead in high-def packaged media could evolve into something more significant following a report the retailer had ordered 2 million Chinese-made HD DVD players for $100 million.

AVS Forum reported that upstart Taiwanese consumer electronics manufacturer Fuh Yuan had partnered with TDK in China to manufacture the projected $299 players.

Spokesperson O’Brien wouldn't comment on the HD DVD player order but said Wal-Mart is in the process of revamping its electronics department to entice both tech savvy early adopters as well as general consumers with improved products at discounted prices.

“[Most] of the shoppers asking about and purchasing either Blu-ray or HD DVD are already pretty savvy technically about both — they are the kind of consumer that absolutely wants the very best and latest in quality that's available,” said O’Brien via e-mail. “It's not quite yet a product the average shopper is attune too, but we anticipate that will change very soon as prices continue to come down.”

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...ticle_id=10557
Old 04-23-2007, 04:55 PM

Coming from an exclusive studio...

Quote:
Buena Vista Voting Ballot:
[ ] Blu-ray
Please choose one of the above.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:56 PM

Buena Vista is not Neutral. They should not talk about consumer's choice since they are not giving consumers the choice.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:57 PM

They are just like Fox. Too much talking and no action.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:06 PM

It's really funny in the article that Fox is one of the studios quoted & they don't have any releases for Blu-ray after tomorrow.

Then Buena Vista is quoted after cancelling their big titles besides the POTC movies on 6/5 (Car, The Rock, Con Air & Crimson Tide).

If consumers are voting for Blu-ray with their dollar where is Fox's titles & why is Disney delaying or not releasing their big titles for the summer?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
It's really funny in the article that Fox is one of the studios quoted & they don't have any releases for Blu-ray after tomorrow.
Consumers always forget that it costs money to release a product or appreciate the immense costs of doing something like producing a movie on a HD format. Fox and Disney came into Q1 with an aggressive release schedule and put out a ton of titles, while Universal didn't have the budget to spend. Now Universal is making a rush and it seems that the reverse may be true for BD Studios. The revenue stream is very small in HD, so quoting sales and ratios right now is still premature. Only a handful of titles would be able to make back the cost to manufacture and produce, the rest of the titles are money sinks where they're releasing them to play a numbers game. Universal and HD DVD are trying to make the most of the new format to show what it could be for consumers, and hopefully they'll be able to set the bar even if the format doesn't succeed. I'd hate to lose what HD DVD had done with features if Blu-ray doesn't rise up to match them.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
Consumers always forget that it costs money to release a product or appreciate the immense costs of doing something like producing a movie on a HD format. Fox and Disney came into Q1 with an aggressive release schedule and put out a ton of titles, while Universal didn't have the budget to spend. Now Universal is making a rush and it seems that the reverse may be true for BD Studios. The revenue stream is very small in HD, so quoting sales and ratios right now is still premature. Only a handful of titles would be able to make back the cost to manufacture and produce, the rest of the titles are money sinks where they're releasing them to play a numbers game. Universal and HD DVD are trying to make the most of the new format to show what it could be for consumers, and hopefully they'll be able to set the bar even if the format doesn't succeed. I'd hate to lose what HD DVD had done with features if Blu-ray doesn't rise up to match them.
I agree with your comments, including the final HD DVD one. I support HD DVD, but personally, I'm just fed up with the format war now... I think the final nail in the coffin was the Blood Diamond announcement- because this holding features back and pushing titles back is ridiculous. Just release movies, who cares about your other motives or the other parties trying to force your hand. As for the Disney comment, I think they're jumping the gun, because if they look at demographics and sales the HD DVD customers are the ones 'voting with their dollars', especially when it comes to the types of titles Disney releases.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:52 PM

I don't see why you guys are saying this article is all talk. They are referring to the fact that Blu-Ray outsold HD DVD 70% to 30% in Q1 07. It is funny, but I keep reading how HD DVD fanboys (except for Marine who is neutral) are complaining about Fox and Buena Visa not releasing movies. If you are an HD DVD fan, wouldn't Fox and Buena Vista releasing more movies be a bad thing for HD DVD? Is 70% vs 30% so far for 2007 not a big enough beating? Do you want it to be 80%/20%??
Old 04-23-2007, 05:57 PM

How many times must we hear about how Blu-Ray out sold HD DVD during times there weren't any HD DVD releases.

Damn these guys are funny

Hey "Planet Earth" is at the #5 spot... They shipped out mine today.
I guess no one cancelled