Is anyone surprised how well fifth element is selling on bluray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-22-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Is anyone surprised how well fifth element is selling on bluray?

I think its in the top ten of hd movies, eventhough its been criticized as being a bad transfer. Is this a cult film or something? (Same thing goes for serenity - which made peanuts at the boxoffice)
Old 04-22-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarsi123 View Post
I think its in the top ten of hd movies, eventhough its been criticized as being a bad transfer. Is this a cult film or something? (Same thing goes for serenity - which made peanuts at the boxoffice)
It means that consumers at this point where we are standing are not looking on the net for AQ or PQ reviews before they do their purchases.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divian View Post
It means that consumers at this point where we are standing are not looking on the net for AQ or PQ reviews before they do their purchases.
And possibly coming away from their viewing experience thinking "HD BD... what's so great about it?" Way to go Sony! (this coming from a BD fan).
Old 04-22-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshikisen View Post
And possibly coming away from their viewing experience thinking "HD BD... what's so great about it?" Way to go Sony! (this coming from a BD fan).
yep. It's sad really. The Fifth Element is such an absolutely abysmal transfer, and the fact that it's selling well is only bad for blu-ray.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:11 PM

The official nielson report has a comprehensive list of virtually all titles and how much they have sold to date, and contains some very interesting (and embarrasing) info, such as the covenant and crank selling quite high on Bluray.

Commando sold a grand total of 1 copy!!!!!!!!!!! But it was only on release for about a day before these figures came out (surely there must be some typos on this list)
Old 04-23-2007, 12:03 AM

I bought 5th Element on Blu-Ray... it was the first title I bought, and the first title I ever wanted. I probably would have bought it on Blu-Ray even if I had read the review first (sad I know). I just really REALLY like the movie. I'm still looking forward to the re-release that actually looks good, that has been promised to us by an insider.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:08 AM

I don't like the movie, but it came free with my BD player. My copy is excellent, a terrific looking disc?????
Old 04-23-2007, 02:27 AM

Will we know when a re-release is here? Of if it ever comes? Because I'd be interested then.

The Fifth Element (I haven't seen it yet) can't have been as bad as Crash, could it? Crash was the worst transfer I've seen, and it was one of the first BD movies I acquired. I would probably have been put off of Blu-ray had it not been for Annapolis.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
yep. It's sad really. The Fifth Element is such an absolutely abysmal transfer, and the fact that it's selling well is only bad for blu-ray.
Yeah. Great movie though.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:28 AM

Seems to me that the right thing to do here is to stop selling this movie until they "fix" it and re-release it...