Warner sales of Blu-ray from 60% to 70% compared to HD DVD. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-19-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Warner sales of Blu-ray from 60% to 70% compared to HD DVD.

This statement from Warner's predident claims if they sold only Blu-ray they would loose from 30% to 40% of revenue. From this one can see that the revenue from Blu-ray is 60% to 70% of total HD titles.

Warner president Ron Sanders said. If we were only releasing in Blu-ray, you would just off the top take 30% to 40% of revenue out of the titles. For us, its paying off nicely.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6435141.html
Old 04-19-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekman View Post
Warner president Ron Sanders said. If we were only releasing in Blu-ray, you would just off the top take 30% to 40% of revenue out of the titles. For us, its paying off nicely.
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6435141.html
Does that mean they're actually breaking even? That's positive I suppose
Old 04-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Wow, so as much as 40% of their HD revenue comes from HD DVD? That's pretty impressive for a format that was predicted to be dead by last month. That's doubly impressive considering that just a few hundred thousand HD DVD players are duking it out with stand alone BD players and a couple million PS3s. Way to go HD DVD.

I also think that folks that keep wishing/hoping/hypothesizing that Warner might go BD exclusive can pretty much file that in the round file cabinet. When Warner says "For us, its paying off nicely" and releases The Matrix early on the format and spends the time and money to create a more fully featured HD DVD of Blood Diamond, its pretty clear they're supporting at 100%.

Thanks for the link.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Banned

What a lot of HD DVD fanboys might be missing when they try to spin this positively for HD DVD.

Blu-ray is comtinuing to dominate despite the extra titles Warner has out on HD DVD that aren't even on Blu-ray.

Batman Begins
Troy
V for Vendetta
Poseidon
A Perfect Storm
Terminator 3
Casablanca
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I mean is Ron Sanders serious? Batman Begins is HD DVD's best title.

What do you think that ratio would be if Blu-ray had all the Warner titles that HD DVD has? I guess we'll find out by this time next year when Warner has caught up. My guess is that ratio will be down to about 20%.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:40 AM

What I think is interesting is that they are admitting that Blu-ray is selling better, yet their really big hits, like Batman Begins and The Perfect Storm as well as some of their upcoming releases (Matrix) have not been announced for Blu-ray.

I think it only shows the consistency that Blu-ray is ahead, at this time, with sales at nearly 2:1 levels across the board, consistently, on a title-by-title basis.

When viewed another way - studios who don't support HD DVD are giving up, potentially, 50% more sales. Studios that don't support Blu-ray are giving up, potentially, 200% more sales! I would call that very significant information for some non-neutral studios to consider.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-DED View Post
I think it only shows the consistency that Blu-ray is ahead, at this time, with sales at nearly 2:1 levels across the board, consistently, on a title-by-title basis.
The market is still so small that a blockbuster can swing the balance out of wack. Like with the Departed, they only sold slightly better on Blu-ray by 2,000 titles (too lazy to check the Sony sheet), but that's still more than what most titles sold in their lifetime. Title-by-title on significant sellers, Blu-ray has an advantage in about a 60:40 split.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:40 AM

I think the significance here is that if Universal went neutral, they would have 60-70% more revenue in their HD sales. Last time I checked, NBC/Universal was still struggling.

The other thing to note, as Doby mentioned, is that Warner has many more blockbuster titles pushed out to HD DVD than Blu-Ray, and HD DVD had a pretty big head start on Blu-Ray. I would venture to say that revenue-wise, HD DVD was probably ahead throughout 2006, and Blu-Ray has probably pulled ahead over the past four months. This explains why they are releasing Blood Diamond on Blu-Ray first, even without BD-J fully baked.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
The market is still so small that a blockbuster can swing the balance out of wack. Like with the Departed, they only sold slightly better on Blu-ray by 2,000 titles (too lazy to check the Sony sheet), but that's still more than what most titles sold in their lifetime. Title-by-title on significant sellers, Blu-ray has an advantage in about a 60:40 split.

Actually, according to the Nielsen report the Departed sold 38,993 for BR and 23,454 for HD DVD. Remember, this is only through mid-March and The Departed is still selling strong. This is also only part of the market, Nielsen does not track all retailers and online retailers.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
This explains why they are releasing Blood Diamond on Blu-Ray first, even without BD-J fully baked.
Blood Diamond is easily explained, and it has nothing to do with sales. Warner has shown that they won't hold back one format if the other one is ready. Nor are they willing to compromise on key content. So they were able to finish the BD release earlier but were adding features which were not crucial to the feature/presentation to the HD DVD, so they didn't have an issue leaving them off the BD version.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
What a lot of HD DVD fanboys might be missing when they try to spin this positively for HD DVD.

Blu-ray is comtinuing to dominate despite the extra titles Warner has out on HD DVD that aren't even on Blu-ray.

Batman Begins
Troy
V for Vendetta
Poseidon
A Perfect Storm
Terminator 3
Casablanca
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I mean is Ron Sanders serious? Batman Begins is HD DVD's best title.

What do you think that ratio would be if Blu-ray had all the Warner titles that HD DVD has? I guess we'll find out by this time next year when Warner has caught up. My guess is that ratio will be down to about 20%.
Talk about spin, You take anything positive about HD DVD and spin it to a negative. As for your first point I believe Bluray also has titles out there that are not on HD DVD so we can throw that out with the bath water. And if you don't think that 30-40% of a product line is a good thing than how about you just send me 40% of your check each week and then see how much it will matter. Oh, I think your phone is ringing, It's sony your check will be delayed until they upgrade their check writing software. Tooooo Bad.