Blu-Ray Profile vs. HD-DVD Profile Debate Thread - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Blu-Ray Profile vs. HD-DVD Profile Debate Thread

The recent derailment of the Vudu in trouble thread due to the very interesting discussion of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD profiles prompted me to create this thread just for that discussion.

Now I may just misunderstand the evolution of Blu-Ray but a lot of people say that the Profile 1, 1.1, and 2 are infact complete restructures of the Bu format. While A1, A2 etc HD-DVD are in fact revisions of the original format, not absolute changes. As such Blu has confusing profiles, whilst HD-DVD has much easier to understand revisions.

What do you all think? Were the two formats simply upgrading/evolving or is there some actual difference? I hope this topic hasn't been done before or I may have completely missed an interesting debate.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:27 PM

What do I think? Who cares? This thread is one year too late. And a year ago another thread wan't needed anyways. There were dozens.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post
What do I think? Who cares? This thread is one year too late. And a year ago another thread wan't needed anyways. There were dozens.
I agree. There is no point to this. There are no more HD DVD players being produced and Toshiba is certainly not pouring more R&D into it to improve it in the future.

The only reason why the other thread was derailed because certain anti-Blu's honestly believe that downloads will take over and when they see bad news concerning downloads, they derail the thread. Nothing new. It was never even about profiles.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 PM

I'm really happy that I have the ability to see things more broadly than seeing things in zero sum absolute terms. For example downloads will "derail" BR. That there will be only one "victor"? That ridicules.

Will downloads be successful? Maybe. Here's something recent from Video Business that states downloads will be a $5 billion business by 2013. Other reports show BR at $8 billion in approximately the same time frame.

Doe this mean one wins and the other loses? I don't think so. The video distribution model is diverse.

From here: Downloads $5 billion by 2013
Old 08-25-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post
I'm really happy that I have the ability to see things more broadly than seeing things in zero sum absolute terms. For example downloads will "derail" BR. That there will be only one "victor"? That ridicules.

Will downloads be successful? Maybe. Here's something recent from Video Business that states downloads will be a $5 billion business by 2013. Other reports show BR at $8 billion in approximately the same time frame.

Doe this mean one wins and the other loses? I don't think so. The video distribution model is diverse.

From here: Downloads $5 billion by 2013
You are preaching to the choir.

NEWSFLASH TO ALL HDD READERS!!!

DVD ain't going anywhere
VOD/PPV ain't going anywhere
Downloads ain't going anywhere
And Blu-Ray is here to stay too...

Once people accept all the above it makes things so much easier...
Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 PM

lol! People are talking about Vudu in this thread and profiles in the Vudu thread.

The profile "debate" is old hat and the remnant of redboi bitterness. It was only ever a straw-grabbing spin doctoring by the Toshibots to try to tell us that it was somehow a horrible thing that the BDA had a planned progression of the format to require support for BD-Live. Sure, HD DVD had the hardware to do PiP and network connectivity built in from launch so that the first couple hundred thousand HD DVD players had the ability to do things the first few hundred thousand Blu-ray players did not.... But similarly, first gen Blu-ray players had features like 1080p output that was only available on HD DVD players that were more expensive than Blu-ray players. In any case, sure HD DVD had that advantage at the beginning, but the whole "profile debate" was literally a red herring to pretend that because the first gen players didn't have friggin' PiP it meant doom and gloom to the entire format. ...Yeah, tell me again... which format was doomed?? :P
Old 08-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Okay well I never created this to be a troll or to create a flaming thread. I thought it was an important issue because of the dominance it took in the Vudu thread.

I would like to make the note that HD-DVD isn't really dead. It still works, and HD-DVD supporters love it by all indications. So a discussion about unfinished Blu Profiles vs. upgraded HD-DVD features I thought was still relevant.

I'll ask the Mods to delete this thread since it was discussed so much in the past. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:23 PM

I disagree I think everyone derailed it by replying back to it. Just ignore it!
Old 08-25-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge View Post
Okay well I never created this to be a troll or to create a flaming thread. I thought it was an important issue because of the dominance it took in the Vudu thread.

I would like to make the note that HD-DVD isn't really dead. It still works, and HD-DVD supporters love it by all indications. So a discussion about unfinished Blu Profiles vs. upgraded HD-DVD features I thought was still relevant.

I'll ask the Mods to delete this thread since it was discussed so much in the past. Thanks for the info.
Well just to be clear, it is dead, no one makes HD-DVD anymore. just cause people still love it does not make it alive by any definition.
Closed Thread