Dish Network to Offer 1080p VOD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 AM

Default Dish Network to Offer 1080p VOD?

From the link:

The Satellite Dish at Multichannel News.

Quote:
Dish Network to Offer 1080p VOD?!

July 22, 2008

Last night Dish Network updated itís website to let the world know that TurboHD is coming soon to Dish Network. This new website didn't stay online long, but it sure had some interesting information that had me going hmmm!

It appears as though the site was put up by mistake as by mid morning today the new site was gone. One of the most telling (and to me exciting) things on this special page was an announcement that Dish Network will soon be offering VOD in full 1080p resolution.

I was surprised to see them say that their 1080p VOD movies will offer ďBlu-ray disc qualityĒ I can see another lawsuit brewing here for Dish Network from Sony and the Blu-ray folks if the quality of the material is even just a little less then Blu-ray quality. Those guys will not want Dish bringing their name down if the quality isnít on par (or even if it is on par would the Blu-ray folks rather have Dish Network customers watching VOD on Dish Network or buying their Blu-ray discs?)

Interesting.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 AM

Nice. As a current Dish customer I would love to see this. Their quality now is better than Comcast, but not near Blu-Ray. Will be keeping my eyes open for this one. I sure hope this is not another tier though.. I refuse to pay more than I am paying now..

I also really wonder about the Blu-Ray claim. The most be compressing the crap out of this to get 1080p..
Old 07-23-2008, 12:15 PM

Dish subscriber here too. If it's VOD they may dedicate the proper amount of bandwidth. VOD provides incremental revenue.

The 1080i quality is not bad. I'm up to over 500 HD movies archived to external hard drives. Not BD quality but in many cases the best PQ available because the vast majority of the movies I have archived are not BD releases.

Latest additions:

Frankenstein (1931)
The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)
Eight Men Out
Escape from Alcatraz
Night and the City
To Catch a Thief
Happy Feet
Mystery, Alaska
Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)
Papillon
Mean Streets
Eastern Promises
JFK
The Deer Hunter
Cape Fear (1991)
Time after Time
Courage Under Fire
Raise the Red Lantern
E.T.
Live Free or Die Hard
Red Rock West
Thunderbirds are Go
Thunderbird 6
F/X
Old 07-23-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Nice. As a current Dish customer I would love to see this. Their quality now is better than Comcast, but not near Blu-Ray. Will be keeping my eyes open for this one. I sure hope this is not another tier though.. I refuse to pay more than I am paying now..

I also really wonder about the Blu-Ray claim. The most be compressing the crap out of this to get 1080p..
Now this I will really love. Save money, time, and all the waste of packaging. Time to go green and cut the waste, go VOD!

--joe
Old 07-23-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoela View Post
Now this I will really love. Save money, time, and all the waste of packaging. Time to go green and cut the waste, go downloads!

--joe
I hope you realize that in order for digital downloads to exist we need electric plants generating more power to run server farms and massive networks across the country... Maybe if we enter into Kyoto and actually start doing something about how we generate power then you *may* be able to justify this, but as of right now... Going downloads has little to do with going green in general...

though at least with this service you can cut out a lot of internet between you and the dish servers so that helps some.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
I hope you realize that in order for digital downloads to exist we need electric plants generating more power to run server farms and massive networks across the country... Maybe if we enter into Kyoto and actually start doing something about how we generate power then you *may* be able to justify this, but as of right now... Going downloads has little to do with going green in general...

though at least with this service you can cut out a lot of internet between you and the dish servers so that helps some.

This service is line of sight from the satellite to the dish on the roof of the home. 100 million households could be viewing what is on the schedule (at the same time) with no increase in bandwidth.

Dish VOD uses a schedule grid for VOD. You have to adjust your viewing to specific start and end times. Or you can DVR the content for later viewing with a viewing time limit imposed (the time limit being recently added).

Unlike cable, satellite VOD is simulcast and is being beamed to all dishes on the ground at the same time.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post
This service is line of sight from the satellite to the dish on the roof of the home. 100 million households could be viewing what is on the schedule (at the same time) with no increase in bandwidth.

Dish VOD uses a schedule grid for VOD. You have to adjust your viewing to specific start and end times. Or you can DVR the content for later viewing with a viewing time limit imposed (the time limit being recently added).

Unlike cable, satellite VOD is simulcast and is being beamed to all dishes on the ground at the same time.
They still need power hungry server farms to store the data that will be transmitted... I'm sure downloads will be greener as we move to a greener power grid, but ATM server farms suck so much power that I question whether or not you can call them green... if you don't beleive me try moving to socal.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:15 PM

Am considering Dish right now. I've read the back and forth and have had HD cable for years, and I am considering adding HD sat because of their new HD offering.

Let me ask you guys that I know here what you think of Dish's HD slate and maybe how it compares to Direct TV in quality and value?

Satisfied with Dish HD and any thoughts on comparison with Direct TV?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Blu-Ray quality can be anything from 0-40 MBPS bitrate since there's some really bad ones and some 1080i discs out there.

From a Blu-Ray forum looks like there are some from 12.13 all the way to 35 MBPS. 28 Days Later was a 35MBPS so it can be overrated.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Am considering Dish right now. I've read the back and forth and have had HD cable for years, and I am considering adding HD sat because of their new HD offering.

Let me ask you guys that I know here what you think of Dish's HD slate and maybe how it compares to Direct TV in quality and value?

Satisfied with Dish HD and any thoughts on comparison with Direct TV?
Love my DISH. Love my DVR. Love the amount of HD channels I get compared to the local cable. Been a subscriber for years.