Taladega and The Fifth Element ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-15-2006, 02:45 AM

Default Taladega and The Fifth Element ?

Why does Sony put out poor video quality titles with their Blu-Ray machines ? It is either that they don't care or they are idiots.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

It makes even less sense considering they decided to bundle Taladega with the initial bunch of PS3's!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:27 AM

Is Fifth Element a Sony picture??
That is going to hurt. One of the few movies I own 4 differnt copies of... I went out and got the SuperBit for my Progressive DVD Player years ago. That was a real stunner.
Oh well at least I have Serenity.....
Old 11-15-2006, 09:47 AM

It makes no sense.

The Fifth Element was a title that would have made me want a Blu-Ray player, despite the fact that I already own two DVD versions. It has been a showcase title since it debuted on DVD, and the Superbit version raised the bar. However, once the Blu-Ray version was reviewed and found to be in some ways not even on par with the Superbit DVD, there was not a single Blu-Ray launch title I was interested in.

It makes no sense that, even at this point in time, months after both formats launched, the best Blu-Ray titles are (at best) on par with their HD-DVD counterparts, and in many cases aren't quite there. Even MI:III has been reviewed as being really close to the HD-DVD version, but not quite as good visually. Image quality should be the most important consideration when releasing a new title. I'd rather have no extras at all in exchange for even just a slight visual advantage.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:26 AM

I understand why they would want to use Fifth Element. For years, it was the defacto audiophile movie. Why they didn't do a remaster for what they expected to be their flagship title is beyond me. Perhaps, they just didn't know how to author a good looking movie at the time...or perhaps they didn't think it needed to look great. Since there's still time before they release their stand alone player, they really ought to consider a title change. Better yet, just throw a coupon in good for any movie.

Now Talladega Nights I just don't understand. Did the box office demographics for it skew towards the 20-35 year old male crowd? It certainly did better than expected at the box office...but I would expect the video game crowd to be better seduced by an action move than a silly, loud, Will Ferrel comedy. Had it been my choice, I would have included Underworld Evo, Silent Hill or Ultraviolet...but then they would have had to put a rating decal on the box (not that it would really discourage their core audience any). Maybe that's why they never ask me!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:38 AM

Sony

Give up...just let Warner do you bundled title. Sheesh another egg laid by the company formerly known as Sony. Who knows who this new company is that can't get right.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
Sony

Give up...just let Warner do you bundled title. Sheesh another egg laid by the company formerly known as Sony. Who knows who this new company is that can't get right.
amen!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:48 AM

2/5 for video quality is really sad and this is a dual layer 50GB disc yikes.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:24 PM

Does anyone have a review of the 25gb version that's included with the PS3? It probably won't be the case but it could look better than 50gb version.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:39 PM

IGN reports the image quality as fantastic...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/743/743899p1.html

Hmmm, I guess it seems reviews really are subjective. I'll have to await more reviews before I join in the slamfest occuring here.