New Specs for Next-Generation Blu-ray Players - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-06-2007, 06:15 AM

Default New Specs for Next-Generation Blu-ray Players

"Reports that your newly purchased Blu-ray Disc player will be obsolete by October are greatly exaggerated."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...a/article.html
Old 04-06-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular_wit View Post
"Reports that your newly purchased Blu-ray Disc player will be obsolete by October are greatly exaggerated."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...a/article.html
Oh good, all the players will be able to use all of the interactive features including online content and PiP as of October. >.> They will play movies, but they are obsolete as of October as they no longer meet the requirements for Blu-ray players which will be produced at that time.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:39 AM

I feel sorry for BD owners who spend $1000 for players which won't do what they are supposed to. Typical Sony. Just for this i would switch to HDDVD. This is not the way to treat loyal supporters. Sony, should take them all back, and send them new BD players with a big Thank you, note on the side
Old 04-06-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc20000 View Post
I feel sorry for BD owners who spend $1000 for players which won't do what they are supposed to. Typical Sony. Just for this i would switch to HDDVD. This is not the way to treat loyal supporters. Sony, should take them all back, and send them new BD players with a big Thank you, note on the side
I suppose then that Toshiba should replace all of their crappy 1st and 2nd gen players when they release their 3rd.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Won't do what they are supposed to? Since when was the first gen standalones supposed to do PiP?

Last edited by Razter; 04-06-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
Oh good, all the players will be able to use all of the interactive features including online content and PiP as of October. >.> They will play movies, but they are obsolete as of October as they no longer meet the requirements for Blu-ray players which will be produced at that time.
Where do you get "obsolete"? The whole point of the article was to impress upon people that the changes won't effect playback and anyone with an early release Blu-ray might be missing a few superfluous features. Typical HD-DVD fanboy spin.

Lastly, I was an early adopter of SD-DVD when it came out and at that time bought a Toshiba player from Costco ( think I paid $450.00 ) if memory serves me correctly. Guess what? It ended up not playing all the SD-DVD disks that starting coming out at release and Toshiba had to release a chip that needed to be soddered onto the board to replace a chip installed at the factory. Thats a true story and very common issue for early adopters. Your prized Toshiba have plenty of screw ups in their history as well but in their case ( unless you were willing to go through the hassle ) had truly created an obsolete player.

Last edited by AV_Integrated; 04-06-2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: A bit of mild attack removed.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
They don't do what they're supposed to? They play the movies, that's what, like, 99.99% of people consider the most important thing. The other 0.01% are all HD DVD-only owners at HDD and AVS.

Oh, and at least we can actually play our movies, even if some lame Java game doesn't work. Something like 100 people at AVS alone can't even get some HD DVDs working.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:20 PM

I also chuckle at the fact that the PS3 can't be fully compliant with BD 2.0 (or is it 1.2? I can't remember) because it mandates that any player with networking support must have 1GB of persistent ram for storage and a stream buffer.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post
I also chuckle at the fact that the PS3 can't be fully compliant with BD 2.0 (or is it 1.2? I can't remember) because it mandates that any player with networking support must have 1GB of persistent ram for storage and a stream buffer.
What are you talking about. The PS3 has a hard disk even larger than that which can be used for storing downloaded BD content.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post
I also chuckle at the fact that the PS3 can't be fully compliant with BD 2.0...
You are incorrect sir! Please read the article that was posted... specifically this section which states:

Quote:
What Current Players Won't Do
Current Blu-ray players won't be able to play an on-demand picture-in-picture commentary, for example, that may come on a disc a year from now. Nor will they be able to connect to the Internet for future interactive functions that may be incorporated into the disc. But when that happens, Hollywood studio technologists have explained to me, they will likely program the disc in such a way that--if your player can't support the new feature--the option won't even show as available during playback.

The one possible exception to this among the currently shipping players: Sony's PlayStation 3, which ranked fourth in our recent high-definition player roundup. For one thing, the PS3 meets the technical requirements for BD Live Internet connectivity. According to Sony, the company is investigating and evaluating the implementation of BD Live, but it has not yet made any announcements of adopting and supporting BD Live.