So, have your favorite classics "held up" in High Def or not???? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-08-2008, 03:27 PM

Default So, have your favorite classics "held up" in High Def or not????

Not really Smackdown but I wanted to make sure owners of both formats(like me) get to reply. My question is referring to how well some of our favorite classics hold up on the HD formats and if anyone feels somewhat underwhelmed or "let-down" by any of those older "classics".

Remember all those flicks you went gaga over back in the 70's, 80's , and 90's? Are they still "good" or have you had to ask yourself what the hell you liked about the movie in the first place? An example for me was actually on Cable TV the other night: Lost Boys(Corey Haim, Corey Feldman vampire flick). It was soooo cheesey, soooo incredibly silly that I had to wonder what the heck I was thinking back when I liked it so much.

I guess my age and perhaps my lower tolerance for lame special effects is catching up with me. The "not-so" special effects in MANY older films really bother me. The laughable 80's music in some 80's films also bother me. I mean, it totally takes me out of the movie. Since many more of our so-called "favorites" will be coming out, Im getting a little worried that I may end up disliking many of my personal favorites.

Some others in HD that left me kind of feeling "bleh":
Commando - I know, classic Arnie.... but freegin silly nontheless
Blade Runner - I really dont like this movie but even so it just seemed so dorky/cheesey.

Superman - I still love it, but damn the special effects are freegin hopeless!
Superman 2 - See above
Bullitt - The car chase stuff is just so "meh" now
The Fugitive - Great flick with horrible looking blue-screen work...uggh!

There are plenty more too that I have seen on cable lately that just scream "old and spent". The action is just mundane, the visuals are lame, the sound is lifeless and dull. I dunno.... I mean you can still love a movie no matter what but you gotta admit that some HD titles that were supposed to bring back good memories have actually ruined those memories because either the movies are so bad or the spectacle of the whole thing is completely lame when compared to recently made films.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM

Lost Boys was also cheesy and slightly lame, but still awesome at the same time! Haha, I don't think I ever really 'liked' it but it's fun to watch.

As for ones I have on Blu...:

2001: A Space Odyssey - Absolutely. Actually, far better then I remembered. PQ was amazing on the BD as well.

Blade Runner - Still awesome, although not as absolutely classic as I remembered. Still, definitely very solid and again, great PQ.

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind - Again, better then I remembered it even, definitely one of the greatest sci-fi alien stories ever told. And of course again, fantastic PQ.

I love the attention that studios put behind their old, old catalog titles though. It really seems like very few of them end up turning out crap as far as PQ goes.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Most all of the "classics" I have bought have been stellar:

Blade Runner
Top Gun
Dune
Casablanca
Old 05-08-2008, 04:02 PM

I am very selective which classics I buy. I would rank the below as my favorite transfers:
-Casablanca
-Grand Prix
-The Adventures of Robin Hood (and I am not talking about Kevin Costner)
-Battle of The Bulge
-2001: A Space Odyssey
-Close Encounters

I have others that have been just "okay" but all of them were an improvement over the DVD.

I always wait for a sale to buy the classics though. Close Encouters was rough, but I waited until it was under $25...
Old 05-08-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
I am very selective which classics I buy. I would rank the below as my favorite transfers:
-Casablanca
-Grand Prix
-Battle of The Bulge
-Close Encounters

I have others that have been just "okay" but all of them were an improvement over the DVD.

I always wait for a sale to buy the classics though. Close Encouters was rough, but I waited until it was under $25...
I managed to trade my copy of I am Legend(hated it) straight up for Close Encounters so I was really happy about that . It's really a fantastic special edition, probably my favorite one yet.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
-Casablanca
-Grand Prix
-Battle of The Bulge
-Close Encounters

Prnc John: And why should the people listen to you?
Robin Hood: Because unlike some other robinhood's, I can speak with an english accent.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
I managed to trade my copy of I am Legend(hated it) straight up for Close Encounters so I was really happy about that . It's really a fantastic special edition, probably my favorite one yet.
It was very well done. I really wanted it when it came out but waited and I eventually was able to pick it up at Amazon for $22..

That was a smart trade. I really liked "I Am Legend" but my wife hated it. I am planning on pickup up "The Omega Man" as soon as I find a good sale on it.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Prnc John: And why should the people listen to you?
Robin Hood: Because unlike some other robinhood's, I can speak with an english accent.
No doubt.. You would have thought that Kostner would have at least tried..
Old 05-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
No doubt.. You would have thought that Kostner would have at least tried..
Apparently he did but sucked so bad they told him to just stop already... Still, you've got to love mel brooks
Old 05-08-2008, 05:38 PM

The Good:

The Thing is still great and looks good in HD to boot (actually watching it right now).

Blade Runner only gets better and I'm 100% happy with the new HD release.

Casablanca - too obvious.

Life of Brian looks much better than it has any right too, and still hilarious.

More of course, but that's off the top of my head.

The Bad

Robocop. Still a great movie, but man Fox really put out an incredibly lame HD version. I hope Criterion has/gets the rights to issue this on Blu-Ray in the future.