Neil Young to release archive on Blu-ray discs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-06-2008, 10:11 PM

Default Neil Young to release archive on Blu-ray discs

Neil Young to release archive on Blu-ray discs [Young revealed his plans Tuesday at a Sun Microsystems Inc. conference]

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Rocker Neil Young plans to release his entire music archive on Blu-ray discs, a sign that the discs' capabilities are building appeal among musicians as well as movie studios.

Blu-ray discs hold much more data than DVDs, are easily updated over the Internet and offer better picture and sound quality.

Young revealed his plans Tuesday at a Sun Microsystems Inc. conference in San Francisco. Santa Clara-based Sun makes the Java technology that gives Blu-ray discs their interactive menus and ability to accept updates over an Internet connection.

The first installment of Young's archive will cover the years 1963 to 1972 and will be released as a 10-disc set this fall on Reprise/Warner Bros. Records.

Young said the archives will be released chronologically and include some previously unreleased songs, videos, handwritten manuscripts and other memorabilia, in addition to the high-resolution audio that Blu-ray technology is known for.

Fans can download more content like songs, photos and tour information directly to the Blu-ray discs as the content becomes available.

Blu-ray's rival format HD DVD effectively died with maker Toshiba Corp.'s announcement in February that it will no longer produce HD DVD players.

Most of the Blu-ray discs manufactured so far have been used for high-definition movies.

Musical artists such as AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen and Destiny's Child released concert videos on Blu-ray discs, but Young's support of the technology for his ambitious archive project demonstrates more fully the capabilities of Blu-ray as a music medium.

Earlier technology didn't offer the ability to browse archive material while listening to songs in high-resolution audio, Young noted.

"Previous technology required unacceptable quality compromises," he said in a statement. "I am glad we waited and got it right."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...61AnQD90GAE0G0
Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

A complete spinning of the situation. Neil has always been against digital and the CD in general. He was a fan of DVD-A and BD is the best option for audio at this point. Still it won't change anything, because sadly the average consumer just doesn't care.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 PM

awesome news for Neil Young fans.
me being one of those.
it had already been reported that his retrospective set was coming to Blu-ray.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 PM

Hopefully it really gets released. Depending on how crazy the price is I will consider buying it.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Banned

Few people ever sit down and listen to something. Most listening is done in the car, in the subway, bus, train, plane, etc. That's why SACD and DVDA did not take off and never will. Only way music is going to sell on Blu-ray is if it includes high-def video along with it.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:54 AM

I'll have to see what the set costs. I only actually own a couple of Young's albums and I don't really have an issue with how the CDs sound. Who knows, they might completely ruin the sound quality, compressing the audio all to hell to make it sound punchy to teenagers.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
I'll have to see what the set costs.
A ten disc blu-ray set is going to run about $699.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
A ten disc blu-ray set is going to run about $699.
You just pulling that out of your ass? Or do you have something to base it on?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:44 AM

Actually a 10 disc would be more like $300
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 AM

This has the potential to be very cool if the technology is leveraged properly. One of the reasons that I was a proponent of HD DVD was due to it's mandatory networking and what that could bring to the music space.

The opportunities here are too many to list. Hopefully Mr. Young will be the catalyst for this and to help prove the networking naysayers wrong.