Why theaters will never look as good as HDM - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Banned

Default Why theaters will never look as good as HDM

I've been to so many theaters around the country (and other countries) I couldn't even begin to make a count. Not a single one of them could compare to my setup.

It's just not possible to have a very sharp image in a theater because of physics. The light passes through a tiny frame of film and is blown up thousands of times (talk about SUC!). Light spreads as it travels. That means in a projected image the light overlaps more and more as it travels away from the source. The light in a film not only does this on its way to the screen, but on it's way from the screen to your eye. This is why before HDM we had no idea how much detail was in films.

This principle is why flat panels look better than rear projectors (well, one of the reasons)Note for stupid people: I'm only talking about CRT RPTVs here. Not DLPs, not SXRDs, etc. Only the old CRTs with 3 converging buulbs that would frequently fall out of alignment and which nobody could get the blue to focus on. Is that clear? Are we all straight now? So don't anyone accuse me of saying ALL RPTVs are inferior to LCD because I never said that.and why an image looks less HD the further away from it you get, or the smaller the screen is. It's also why I'm never going to buy a screen projector system. I don't care what anyone says, physics prevent it from looking as good as an LCD flat panel.

And let's not forget that theaters are only projecting prints, far downgraded from the masters. While masters are 4k-6k, theatrical prints are only 1.5k. so a lot of detail is lost right off the bat anyway.

As for the sound systems, I've never experienced sound like my HT can provide because theaters are in such large spaces that the sound echoes and bounces all over the place so it all gets mashed together. Nothing beats 8 speakers a few feet away aimed directly at your head.

I still go to theaters, but mostly only to IMAX because at least that's 70 mm so we get a little more detail and they make sure the print is good and in focus before the show. Got REALLY sick of crappy projector work in regular theaters.

Last edited by Fettastic; 03-17-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:15 PM

I agree to some extent that it might be possible to get some more detail on a smaller screen... But really, film has quite a bit more resolution than HD, to be perfectly fair at the same screen size HD will get it's figurtive ass kicked by film. I guess if you're going to one of the thousands of stadium style theaters that pleage the USA (and I'm sure elsewhere) then yes due to immense screen sizes it's possible you might lose something. But if you can find your self a nice smaller theater I'm guessing that other than the annoying kid behind you kicking your seat you'll get way more detail out of watching the film (on actual film).

On a personal note, I don't go to the theaters any more my self which is why I went with my major (at least for me) HD investment. Screaming babies and tot's kicking your seat really tend to distract.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:15 PM

I was gonna say what about imax?!

Theres a few imax theaters that are digital.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:17 PM

Do you have any screens with digital projection close to you. I went to the Zeigfeld (not sure how that is spelt) in Manhattan for the premiers of 'Attack of the Clones' and 'Revenge of the Sith' and the picture is clearly better than standard film projection.

I agree that no cinema anywhere close to where I live comes close to the experience I have at home. Although I do like watching a good movie with a good crowd as I think that adds a lot of atmosphere. (I remember watching X-Men opening week and when Wolverine sliced through the shotgun in the bar people actually stood up cheering).
Old 03-17-2008, 01:18 PM

IDK I'd have to disagree, I think new digital theaters are pretty decent esp considering the screen size and room measurements. I think comparing your HT to a movie theater is kinda like comparing the old apples to oranges debate... they really are two completely different things. If you were to move your equipment into a room the size of an average movie theater I think you it would lose a lot of the pluses you've mentioned, esp the sound.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

While noticing how "3D" HDM can look, you might stop and wonder why real life doesn't look that way. The most dramatic reason is because light is diffused. Light in a room or even outside has many sources. Your eye is not just receiving light from the sun for example, it is bouncing around all over the place. Because of this when you see a leaf, especially from far off, you are seeing that leaf as defined to your eye by many different light sources, all spreading out as they reach your eye.

It may be somewhat irrelevant to note this, but you've never actually seen anything in your life. That leaf for example, you're not seeing it. Nobody can see anything as it truly exists. We can only see the light bouncing off of it. That's why something can apear to be different colors to different people, particularly color blind people.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi i'm God View Post
I was gonna say what about imax?!

Theres a few imax theaters that are digital.
While digital projection cures the degenration of prints problem, it's still got the spreading light problem.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:22 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with pretty much every point here. I already knew how much detail was in films from watching them on film, in theaters. 1080-line video is still a big downgrade from that—or, at best, it approaches the equivalent, because at a certain screen size that's all you need to produce a very similar-looking result.

And what's this "1.5K" stuff? A print is a copy of the master print; if it started out as 35mm film, the release print is 35mm film. 4K masters (a downgrade from that) are either (a) projected as is in your fancier digital theaters or (b) used as a master for home video. They're not "masters" as in "the source of all release prints."
Old 03-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
Do you have any screens with digital projection close to you. I went to the Zeigfeld (not sure how that is spelt) in Manhattan for the premiers of 'Attack of the Clones' and 'Revenge of the Sith' and the picture is clearly better than standard film projection.

I agree that no cinema anywhere close to where I live comes close to the experience I have at home. Although I do like watching a good movie with a good crowd as I think that adds a lot of atmosphere. (I remember watching X-Men opening week and when Wolverine sliced through the shotgun in the bar people actually stood up cheering).
Yeah I love a good crowd for fun movies too. They're pretty tame around here which is actually a good thing because we don't tolerate noise-makers. if someone starts talking too loud, 5 men hike up their pants and go threaten their lives.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:24 PM

DLP, LCD and LCOS Front projectors can be amazing with more than 120 inch screens.

Digital and Imax theaters also can be far better than average movie theater.

Real tough to say a 42 inch LCD display is the apex of home theater nirvana though.

Some technologies can do great things with larger image sizes, and bigger is always better.