Will Paramount/Universal give hoot? Ref. #of releases - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Will Paramount/Universal give hoot? Ref. #of releases

Neither studio has announced any Blu-Ray timelines.

I myself am a bit curious to see how anxious they are to release catalogs, and past HD-DVD exclusives.

What wouldn't surprise me, is if the two studios play it safe, and only release the movies that they know will sell alot.

Universal was pumping titles to keep HD-DVD afloat. Paramount was nothing to really write home about however, so I wonder if they'll be even worse.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:42 PM

I believe that they willl look at the titles that were most successful on HD DVD and follow with those titles on Blu-ray.

For example, Universal will most certainly release catalog titles The Bourne Trilogy< The Mummy films, and King Kong probably this year by the holiday shopping season.

Paramount does not have that issue, for the most part. They were HD DVD exclusive for only a few months and many of their catalog titles that were released on HD DVD had parallel releases on Blu-ray. The HD DVD only Transformers (actually Dreamworks through Paramount) looks to be a sure bet for Blu-ray. Not sure about any others.

As for other previous HD DVD titles, if they did not do well, I would not expect to see them anytime soon. That is why, being purple, I am glad that I have the few Uni titles that I wanted that were released on HD DVD as some of those, I bet, did not break any sales records..
Old 03-16-2008, 09:36 PM

on Uni's front, they have to get set up for Bllu-ray production, as the most die-hard "red boosters" my geuss it's not just a matter of starting blu from scratch, but shutting down HD-DVD production

Paramount is slightly similar since they werent planning on making any blu titles for anothere 9 months they may be in the same situation

regardless I won't be worried until say....the end of the month
Old 03-16-2008, 11:10 PM

What is everyone's thoughts on the PQ & AQ you think Paramount & Universal will use?

I'm hoping they will release high quality AVC encodes & lossless sound on all their future releases.

I'm hoping that Universal will not go for quantity & go for quality on their releases on Blu-ray.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on the PQ & AQ you think Paramount & Universal will use?

I'm hoping they will release high quality AVC encodes & lossless sound on all their future releases.

I'm hoping that Universal will not go for quantity & go for quality on their releases on Blu-ray.
I hope is that Universal will go back to DTS tracks on their movies.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:08 AM

I would love to see Serenity on Blu-ray eventually. When I saw it was an HD DVD exclusive, that was the closest I ever got to buying an HD DVD player.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post

I tend to think that the quality of the transfer and not the encode itself is the major factor determining PQ. This is borne out by the high-quality releases we've seen using MPEG2 on BD50s and VC1 on HD30s. The only way to really improve PQ over past HD DVD releases would be to mint a new master and I doubt Universal would do that unless the first release was really bad or the title was a big seller that they were planning to double dip on anyway. Also consider that Universal will be at the back of the line for BD50 replication (if this is still an issue when they begin releasing BDs).

I feel that the majority of Universal re-releases will probably just be the HD DVD release ported over, at least video-wise. I understand that due to differences in the implementation of DD+ on BD and HD DVD all DD+ releases (which is the majority of Universal's HD DVD catalog) will need to be re-encoded either way, so if they're smart you'll see those upgraded to TrueHD. I'm not conviced that AVC/MPEG4 offers any substantial advantage over VC1 (given the reference quality VC1 encodes we've seen on HD30s from Warner), so if the original VC1 encode was a winner I'd have no problem seeing that re-released on BD.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novatian View Post
I would love to see Serenity on Blu-ray eventually. When I saw it was an HD DVD exclusive, that was the closest I ever got to buying an HD DVD player.
Its a pretty good flick man! Never saw the movie in the theatre, nor did I follow the show (Firefly?). But this was my 3rd HD DVD purchase way back when....I've watched it 3 times. Its pretty sweet. Some of the outdoor shots when the Reavers are chasing them are pretty insane. Better than Star Wars.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:05 AM

I just hope we hear something about There Will Be Blood and Sweeny Todd, i might have to pick up the DVDs and get the BDs later if there is no announcement when the DVDs hit stores
Old 03-17-2008, 02:18 AM

Video encodes will probably be the same or based on the same master.

Audio encodes will probably be based on Dolby, not DTS, they have to be a new encode for the BD format as a 640K DD core plus extensions for DD+ or TrueHD.

Replication capacity will be the constraint, but Universal may not think it will lose anything on catalog sales by waiting until BD is more available at retail and the dedicated set top install base is larger.

Expect day and date titles and then previous HD DVD titles to be priority.

I would expect the previous HD DVD releases to be the first to go to Blu-ray as they will already be considered to be in the wild as a HDM release.