Rut-Roh! RUMOR: Stores clearing out 360 HD DVD stock? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-21-2007, 03:06 AM

Default Rut-Roh! RUMOR: Stores clearing out 360 HD DVD stock?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/hd-dvd/rumo...per-245746.php

Quote:
What? It's already over? Over at Cheapassgamer.com, folks are posting that the Xbox 360 HD DVD player is being marked down at Walmart to US $130 from its retail price of $199.99. What's more, apparently Walmart has cleared out its HD DVD players. Reader superatt sends word that The New York Post reports that HD DVD is being outsold by Blu-ray Since the PS3 went on sale, Blu-ray sales have jumped to nearly three times that of HD DVD.
If it's true... ouch. But on second though... DAMN THATS CHEAP! GIMME!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:30 AM

My local Walmart has has never sold stand alone HD-DVD players or discs. I haven't see Blue ray either. You wouldn't thing there is a Hi-Def war and for most of the general public there isn't !!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasr View Post
My local Walmart has has never sold stand alone HD-DVD players or discs. I haven't see Blue ray either. You wouldn't thing there is a Hi-Def war and for most of the general public there isn't !!
The only product for either HD DVD or Blu-ray that my Wal*Mart has ever had was the PS3 and "X-Men: Last Stand" on Blu-ray, sitting with the PS3 games. That's it.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:04 AM

This story is very fishy.

First of all, I'm a regular at Cheapassgamer forums and nobody is spinning this as being bad for HD DVD at all.

Second, I don't know of a walmart that ever did have HD DVD players (beyond the add-on).

Third, I would see the markdown as a very good thing for HD DVD. That price makes it an impulse buy. It is no more a bad sign for HD DVD than Amazon's BD sale is for BD.

Plus, last I looked, the add-ons were selling quite well. They were pretty hard to find a month or two after launch.

If this is true, this post belongs in the HD DVD bargain forum.

Last edited by thrustbucket; 03-21-2007 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post
If this is true, this post belongs in the HD DVD bargain forum.
not really cause one could argue that its the end of HD-DVD and others that its just HD-DVD ploy to gain more ground, thus Smackdown.

Im gonna have to remember to go to BBY and see what our system says about em
Old 03-21-2007, 06:44 AM

the canadian walmart here has 3 units
Old 03-21-2007, 08:04 AM

One of my Wal-Mart's carried a few of the first gen butt-ugly HD DVD players and HD DVD + BD movies. They shuffled the movies around, reduced them in volume and eventually appeared to dump them altogether. I haven't checked the gaming sections, maybe they've moved some of the BD movies there.

I think Wal-Mart may have been totally clueless about what they were getting into with HD. $450 players and $30 movies are NOT what Wal-Mart customers are interested in. Wal-Mart makes money by selling as much junk as possible as quickly as possible. I'm sure they got tired of bleeding edge, over priced early adopter stuff clogging up shelf space that could be used for fast selling $39 DVD players and $7 movies.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:13 AM

I always thought the HD DVD addon was pretty successful. If they are clearing it out there might be multiple reasons behind it. One of them of course that retailers might be fed up with the format war and the need for double shelf space. Maybe they have decided on a side, don't know. Maybe it's just the price cut Microsoft talked of recently.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Banned

The add-on was never hard to find.
My local Wal-Mart has a half decent HD DVD and Blu-ray section, but not as big as Future Shop or Best Buy.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Banned

It's a nice cheap way to watch Universal movies in HD until HD-DVD dies. What's wrong with that??