what perceived "choice" did you have? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-15-2008, 06:55 AM

Default what perceived "choice" did you have?

i've read a good number of posts alluding to some choice hey had as consumers while was around. what i'm wondering is..........how much more delusional can one get? there was no "choice" in most cases nor was it a good thing. by the end of this war there was only 1 neutral studio, so you only had a "choice" on warner titles at which point most of the people lamenting the consumers not having 1 option were supporters exclusively and therefore didn't have a choice but to but the. in certain areas having products that are or do the same thing isn't to bad for the industry: cars, food, and even some consumer electronics (television technologies, receiver types etc etc). but when it comes to multiple products that have an incompatability with one another and companies who withhold content from a specific product, it is not a good thing. do all of these warriors for consumer "choice" own a beta max, vhs, laserdisc, divx, dvd, hd dvd, hd vmd, and blu rau player? because if you don't have all of those hooked up and working right now you are a hypocrite. the reality of what that "choice" would be is: every CE with the money to develope a format would, then form an alliance with content providers to distribute solely on their format. for music we'd have minidisc, cd, sacd, dvd-a, cassette, 8 track, and lord knows how many more. for movies it would probably be worse as it seems theres more money to be made there. so this "choice" that people cry about appears to be nothing more than self pity and rationalizing a poor decision. i'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, but thats how i see it.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 AM

there was a choice, "extra features" (PiP and web functionality) OR "the movie itself" HD DVD offered 1 thing that Blu-ray did not from the start, and that was those extra features I stated above, but it's lacked the space and bitrate, and scratch protection to maintain the disc in a playable fashion that Blu-ray has.

"...the question was asked almost immediately -- why no Dolby TrueHD or uncompressed PCM? The studio's answer was that due to space limitations on the disc, the decision was made to limit the audio to Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 Surround only (here at 1.5mbps)."
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1110/transformers.html

people were given the choice the early adopters, spoke, and Blu-ray won, this is not to say HD DVD didn't do a good job at movies, I've bought alot of Warner, and Paramount titles and they did 1 encode to the lowest common denominator and moved it to Blu-ray. and I must say I was impressed with Omega man. (see I can say nice things about HD DVD) but let's wait and see if Transformers gets lossless audio, if the video encode is the same or better then the HD DVD version... these are exciting times ahead.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:30 AM

choice is what consumers have when they walk into a store with a pocket full of cash. you can choose to buy into HDM or you can choose to keep buying DVDs... you can choose to buy a HDTV or you can choose to buy a digital converter box. you can choose to pay $30 for a blu-ray disc at best buy or you can choose to go to an online shop and get it for cheaper.

in the HDM format war, early adopters had the option to choose between hd dvd and blu-ray. whether that choice was based on facts, fud, bullshit, whim or pure hatred, it was still a choice.

the actual choice argument was that because blu-ray had acquired more studios, hd dvd supporters didn't want to not have a choice. and on principal, refused to choose blu-ray.

but i assure you, it never stemmed from self-pity or or rationalizing a poor decision.

before i was involved in the format war, the fact that studios had chosen sides pissed me off because they were forcing consumers to make a choice. if all studios were neutral and let the consumer choose, then that would have seemed fair... however from somewhere rose this urgency that there can be only one. in the end, people that bought into hd dvd now have nice upconverters and about 400 high def movies they can enjoy.

half full, half empty... if you're an angry blu-ray zealot, then we know which one you think it is.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:50 AM

There were plenty of choices in the format war. I could have very easily owned both formats but chose not to because I thought I would be helping to prolong a pointless format war. That was my choice.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
There were plenty of choices in the format war. I could have very easily owned both formats but chose not to because I thought I would be helping to prolong a pointless format war. That was my choice.
Ditto

- T
Old 03-15-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I fealt the the same way. Now that this format war is over we will all have alot more choices. Well, all except those stubborn red fanbois who are out there ( and I meen really "out there") preaching about suc, downloadable movies and the "fact" that there is no need for hd because JSP can't see the difference.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I bought both players because I wanted to watch some movies! Stupid me: I should have been choosing a side and being a fanbois!
Old 03-15-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFrugge View Post
I bought both players because I wanted to watch some movies! Stupid me: I should have been choosing a side and being a fanbois!
Could have done what I did. I've been through enough format wars to not care and just wait until somebody dies, then buy.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta-guy View Post
"...the question was asked almost immediately -- why no Dolby TrueHD or uncompressed PCM? The studio's answer was that due to space limitations on the disc, the decision was made to limit the audio to Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 Surround only (here at 1.5mbps)."
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1110/transformers.html
And that was a crock. Titles such as TROY: Director's Cit, KING KONG (both longer films than TRANSFORMERS) had TrueHD tracks, commentary (TROY) and are considered some of the best HD transfers ever released! Truth is, Paramount as a policy never used TrueHD on their previous releases and continued that policy with TRANSFORMERS.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by film11 View Post
And that was a crock. Titles such as TROY: Director's Cit, KING KONG (both longer films than TRANSFORMERS) had TrueHD tracks, commentary (TROY) and are considered some of the best HD transfers ever released! Truth is, Paramount as a policy never used TrueHD on their previous releases and continued that policy with TRANSFORMERS.
troy sacrificed quality to fit on that disc...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=18025