Sony - "Upscale DVD players have gotten better and better" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Sony - "Upscale DVD players have gotten better and better"

Sony president Stan Glasgow claims that upscaling DVD players are getting "better and better". Stresses the need to promote additional features - "PIP, BD live and other features". Lovely. Just what I wanted to hear. And based on comments from both sides in this forum what is being planned - stressing mostly worthless features - is not the way to proceed.

Quote:
TWICE, 3/5/2008 9:49:00 AM

Format-war aftermath: While the Blu-ray format war may be over, “the battle really begins now to move people away from DVD to Blu-ray,” Glasgow said. “We have a lot of work to do now, so we are not gloating. Upscale DVD players have gotten better and better. We need to explain the additional feature sets, PIP, BD live and other features.” He added that Sony “will build as many Blu-ray decks as we can.”
Why not just sell the movie in high definition? Why add to the cost with these worthless features? Does anybody really want to underwrite the overhead associated with these worthless features? I don't.

Sony should believe that HDM will be able to stand on its own merits without the nedd to toss in all of this garbage.

Unless of course Sony believes that prettier pictures and sound are not enough. Obviously the president of Sony does not believe prettier pictures and sound will be enough.

Ouch.

edit - added link for source of quote: Twice

Last edited by nextoo; 03-12-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:20 PM

He's clearly just a bitter HD DVD fanboy.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Toshiba knew this, That's why HD DVD players were ready from the start. The PS3 may well have doomed my beloved HDM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 PM

upscaling is a myth.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlum View Post
upscaling is a myth.
No, its a fact, one that easily demonstrated too, its true benefit on the other hand is debatable.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
upscaling is a myth.
Well then Glascow is chasing ghosts. He volunteered the upscale comment.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM

SD-DVD looks better on CRT.

I have the PS3 and there is little to difference between it upscaling or the LCD (high-end Sony Bravia) upscaling.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
SD-DVD looks better on CRT.

I have the PS3 and there is little to difference between it upscaling or the LCD (high-end Sony Bravia) upscaling.
And the scaling on the Bravia is horrible.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:30 PM

Upscaling is similar to magnification in visible light microscopy. There is a theoretical limit and this is due to the wave nature of visible light and this is unavoidable. On DVD this is the natural resolution of the info on the disc. 480i / 576i. If you attempt to magnify an object beyond your microscope's effective magnification limit, say by adding an extra lens somewhere or by replacing your eyepiece with a more powerful one, you will only get "empty" magnification — that is, very small things in your field of view will indeed become bigger, but you will not be seeing any finer details. On a DVD it means that you cannot invent new accurate information. All upscaling does is match a lower resolution format to a certain number of pixels on a fixed panel screen but there is no new info being presented. Upscalers therefore deliver what I call empty resolution.Your signal may well be a 1080p signal but it only contains the base 576i resolution. The rest is 'empty'. To exagerate this further try upscaling a vhs image to 1080p (easy to do with a VP). Does that contain any more info? Therefore upscaling is not to improve picture quality but minimise detriment to the image showing at different higher resolutions. I would certainly not call any upscaler near HD quality, especially on Blu ray players which have mad mediocre SD performance to date. I just view them as optimising their performance to current fixed panel devices.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:37 PM

Now I know I am not your typical person out there, but there is just no comparison between upscaled DVD's and a good Blu-Ray transfer on my 100" screen powered by a 1080p projector. The upscaled DVD's certainly do not look bad, but there is still a major difference in overall PQ (I won't even mention AQ). It is by a large factor. My wife even commented on it last week. I am at the point where I can hardly stand to watch DVD's anymore because Blu-Ray's look so much better. When you factor in the AQ upgrade on most discs, it is a no-brainer.