Could HD-DVD "trade ins" be bad for HDM? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 213
Default Could HD-DVD "trade ins" be bad for HDM?

Hey, I was thinking, turning in your HD-DVD player and getting a bluray player, or atleast a discount on one dosen't sound like a bad idea, but it got me wondering

First what is going to happen to all those traded in players? I'm remembering the stories of thousands of ET game cartridges in desert landfills

but more than that, right now stores are firesaling thier HD-DVD movie stock I see titles at Wal-MArt for 17 bucks and on amazon for ten.

What's next? I can understand pepole stop buying HD-DVD players because no new software is coming out. But it's not as if the things are useless. HD-DVD has only slightly less titles than HD-DVD, and then theres that whole "upconverting" thing

So while HD-DVD is a poor investment, it's not a bad thing to have...right now

So fi HD-DVD players are not only staying on the shelves, but are ebing retutned as well how long before we see bargain bins of HD-DVD movies at 5 bucks each? There's a difference between "firesaling" and indicating the disc isn't good for much more than skeet shooting

Remember Joe Sixpack needs the difference between HD-DVD and blu-ray explained to him. If he feels HD-DVd isn't worth the discs they're printed on, than what will he think about Blu-ray?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 AM
melodywhore's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
Hey, I was thinking, turning in your HD-DVD player and getting a bluray player, or atleast a discount on one dosen't sound like a bad idea, but it got me wondering

First what is going to happen to all those traded in players? I'm remembering the stories of thousands of ET game cartridges in desert landfills

but more than that, right now stores are firesaling thier HD-DVD movie stock I see titles at Wal-MArt for 17 bucks and on amazon for ten.

What's next? I can understand pepole stop buying HD-DVD players because no new software is coming out. But it's not as if the things are useless. HD-DVD has only slightly less titles than HD-DVD, and then theres that whole "upconverting" thing

So while HD-DVD is a poor investment, it's not a bad thing to have...right now

So fi HD-DVD players are not only staying on the shelves, but are ebing retutned as well how long before we see bargain bins of HD-DVD movies at 5 bucks each? There's a difference between "firesaling" and indicating the disc isn't good for much more than skeet shooting

Remember Joe Sixpack needs the difference between HD-DVD and blu-ray explained to him. If he feels HD-DVd isn't worth the discs they're printed on, than what will he think about Blu-ray?
i guess that's the price of winning the format war... dealing with the aftermath.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 180
Default

There might be some short term confusion, but in a few months HD DVD will be cleared out of retail and the average consumer in a B&M store will only see BR hardware/software if they are looking for HD.

I don't want to trade mine in because I don't want to have to repurchase software. Even if they gave me $200, I have to rebuy Planet Earth, Matrix, Batman Begins, Casablanca, Robin Hood and a bunch of others that are "keepers", so I am no further ahead.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2008, 01:25 AM
HiDefFanboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrilledCheese View Post
There might be some short term confusion, but in a few months HD DVD will be cleared out of retail and the average consumer in a B&M store will only see BR hardware/software if they are looking for HD.

I don't want to trade mine in because I don't want to have to repurchase software. Even if they gave me $200, I have to rebuy Planet Earth, Matrix, Batman Begins, Casablanca, Robin Hood and a bunch of others that are "keepers", so I am no further ahead.
It only makes sense to return or trade in your HD DVD player if your investment in software is not that large. There is a segment of the population that just bought into HD DVD when the players where cheap without buying any movies... and now they feel buyers remorse. This program is for them. Anyone that has been in the game for longer than a few months will not have the same kind of questions, and in any case will not likely be able to take advantage of this returns.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 213
Default

good point, so I geuss my next question is just how much "stock" of HD-dvd do retailers have to unload? My local best buy seems to slowly be running out, enough where have the titles can be "faced" out as upposed to bookshelf style, and I haven't seen my local Wal-Mart restock AG since it sold out of the on shelf copies (at $17.00)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2008, 04:11 AM
szhjcn's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 791
Default

Doubt many places will restock titles. Maybe just new relaeses which they know they can sell at or near retail, otherwise there is little or no margin for them and they end up loosing money on them.

Would be nice to be able to exchange discs for BD versions at the studios expense (especially Paramount). For titles that are not released yet on BD, a voucher can be offered, or after mailing in your Red copy, the BD copy is sent in the mail when it becomes available.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Favelle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
HD-DVD has only slightly less titles than HD-DVD.

But how many titles does HD DVD have, as opposed to HD DVD?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-09-2008, 10:48 AM
marine92104's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,187
Default

Why would I trade in my Toshiba HD-XA2 when it has the Reon chip for upgrading standard DVDS & I did the firmware upgrade making it an all region player that supports PAL & NTSC DVDs for all regions?

It saves me the price of buying an OPPO DVD player.

That would not be a reasonable suggestion.

Plus all the HD DVD discs I own have better specs than the Blu-ray discs.

It would be downright dumb for me to trade in the player.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
But how many titles does HD DVD have, as opposed to HD DVD?
I'm more interested in whether or not Blu-ray has more titles than Blu-ray, because right now Blu-ray has such a small collection (almost as small as HD DVD, which may be even less than HD-DVD, but I'd have to check with a mathematician to be sure) that if Blu-ray has as few titles as Blu-ray, then I might have to go with Blu-ray going forward, instead of Blu-ray.

Yeah, this place is pretty sad these days, when the only source of fun is the occasional typo.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
Plus all the HD DVD discs I own have better specs than the Blu-ray discs.

It would be downright dumb for me to trade in the player.
Indeed, most of the HD DVD's I own have infinitely superior specs to the Blu-ray versions, since existence is infinitely better than non-existence for a good.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Buy "Upgrade and Save" Program Gives You $5 Off Blu-rays for DVD Trade-ins TheDickWard Blu-ray Software General Discussion 29 05-03-2012 08:11 PM
amazon accepting game trade-ins. Bane Game Room 39 03-06-2009 11:37 AM
Why no petition for Universal trade ins? dolphinius_rex High Definition Smackdown 49 05-20-2008 12:38 PM
Report: GameStop To Stop Accepting HD DVD Trade-Ins Tomorrow Shadow1019 High Definition Smackdown 28 02-19-2008 03:09 AM
HD DVD only owners - would trade-ins convince you to go Blu? JS1 High Definition Smackdown 19 01-18-2008 04:01 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off