Could HD-DVD "trade ins" be bad for HDM? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-08-2008, 11:24 PM

Default Could HD-DVD "trade ins" be bad for HDM?

Hey, I was thinking, turning in your HD-DVD player and getting a bluray player, or atleast a discount on one dosen't sound like a bad idea, but it got me wondering

First what is going to happen to all those traded in players? I'm remembering the stories of thousands of ET game cartridges in desert landfills

but more than that, right now stores are firesaling thier HD-DVD movie stock I see titles at Wal-MArt for 17 bucks and on amazon for ten.

What's next? I can understand pepole stop buying HD-DVD players because no new software is coming out. But it's not as if the things are useless. HD-DVD has only slightly less titles than HD-DVD, and then theres that whole "upconverting" thing

So while HD-DVD is a poor investment, it's not a bad thing to have...right now

So fi HD-DVD players are not only staying on the shelves, but are ebing retutned as well how long before we see bargain bins of HD-DVD movies at 5 bucks each? There's a difference between "firesaling" and indicating the disc isn't good for much more than skeet shooting

Remember Joe Sixpack needs the difference between HD-DVD and blu-ray explained to him. If he feels HD-DVd isn't worth the discs they're printed on, than what will he think about Blu-ray?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
Hey, I was thinking, turning in your HD-DVD player and getting a bluray player, or atleast a discount on one dosen't sound like a bad idea, but it got me wondering

First what is going to happen to all those traded in players? I'm remembering the stories of thousands of ET game cartridges in desert landfills

but more than that, right now stores are firesaling thier HD-DVD movie stock I see titles at Wal-MArt for 17 bucks and on amazon for ten.

What's next? I can understand pepole stop buying HD-DVD players because no new software is coming out. But it's not as if the things are useless. HD-DVD has only slightly less titles than HD-DVD, and then theres that whole "upconverting" thing

So while HD-DVD is a poor investment, it's not a bad thing to have...right now

So fi HD-DVD players are not only staying on the shelves, but are ebing retutned as well how long before we see bargain bins of HD-DVD movies at 5 bucks each? There's a difference between "firesaling" and indicating the disc isn't good for much more than skeet shooting

Remember Joe Sixpack needs the difference between HD-DVD and blu-ray explained to him. If he feels HD-DVd isn't worth the discs they're printed on, than what will he think about Blu-ray?
i guess that's the price of winning the format war... dealing with the aftermath.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:04 AM

There might be some short term confusion, but in a few months HD DVD will be cleared out of retail and the average consumer in a B&M store will only see BR hardware/software if they are looking for HD.

I don't want to trade mine in because I don't want to have to repurchase software. Even if they gave me $200, I have to rebuy Planet Earth, Matrix, Batman Begins, Casablanca, Robin Hood and a bunch of others that are "keepers", so I am no further ahead.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrilledCheese View Post
There might be some short term confusion, but in a few months HD DVD will be cleared out of retail and the average consumer in a B&M store will only see BR hardware/software if they are looking for HD.

I don't want to trade mine in because I don't want to have to repurchase software. Even if they gave me $200, I have to rebuy Planet Earth, Matrix, Batman Begins, Casablanca, Robin Hood and a bunch of others that are "keepers", so I am no further ahead.
It only makes sense to return or trade in your HD DVD player if your investment in software is not that large. There is a segment of the population that just bought into HD DVD when the players where cheap without buying any movies... and now they feel buyers remorse. This program is for them. Anyone that has been in the game for longer than a few months will not have the same kind of questions, and in any case will not likely be able to take advantage of this returns.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:01 AM

good point, so I geuss my next question is just how much "stock" of HD-dvd do retailers have to unload? My local best buy seems to slowly be running out, enough where have the titles can be "faced" out as upposed to bookshelf style, and I haven't seen my local Wal-Mart restock AG since it sold out of the on shelf copies (at $17.00)
Old 03-09-2008, 04:11 AM

Doubt many places will restock titles. Maybe just new relaeses which they know they can sell at or near retail, otherwise there is little or no margin for them and they end up loosing money on them.

Would be nice to be able to exchange discs for BD versions at the studios expense (especially Paramount). For titles that are not released yet on BD, a voucher can be offered, or after mailing in your Red copy, the BD copy is sent in the mail when it becomes available.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
HD-DVD has only slightly less titles than HD-DVD.

But how many titles does HD DVD have, as opposed to HD DVD?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Why would I trade in my Toshiba HD-XA2 when it has the Reon chip for upgrading standard DVDS & I did the firmware upgrade making it an all region player that supports PAL & NTSC DVDs for all regions?

It saves me the price of buying an OPPO DVD player.

That would not be a reasonable suggestion.

Plus all the HD DVD discs I own have better specs than the Blu-ray discs.

It would be downright dumb for me to trade in the player.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
But how many titles does HD DVD have, as opposed to HD DVD?
I'm more interested in whether or not Blu-ray has more titles than Blu-ray, because right now Blu-ray has such a small collection (almost as small as HD DVD, which may be even less than HD-DVD, but I'd have to check with a mathematician to be sure) that if Blu-ray has as few titles as Blu-ray, then I might have to go with Blu-ray going forward, instead of Blu-ray.

Yeah, this place is pretty sad these days, when the only source of fun is the occasional typo.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post
Plus all the HD DVD discs I own have better specs than the Blu-ray discs.

It would be downright dumb for me to trade in the player.
Indeed, most of the HD DVD's I own have infinitely superior specs to the Blu-ray versions, since existence is infinitely better than non-existence for a good.