Paramount & Dreamworks HD DVD support ends March 4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 AM

Default Paramount & Dreamworks HD DVD support ends March 4

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/28/p...-ends-march-4/

We don't know if Jeffrey Katzenberg got a text message, fax, e-mail or smoke signal indicating the format war was over, but Video Business has confirmed Paramount and Dreamworks Animation will (rather abruptly) to stop releasing HD DVDs after next week. If you were looking forward to Bee Movie on March 11, Sweeney Todd on April 1 or the just announced There Will Be Blood, those are cancelled. Into the Wild and the appropriately-named Things We Lost in the Fire will be Paramount's last reminders of its exclusive agreement. Not specifically mentioned was Star Trek: TOS Season 2, but don't hold your breath. Blu-ray release plans are still up in the air but we wouldn't be surprised to hear something soon. As far as HD DVD movies still scheduled, that leaves two from Universal (for now) and twelve from Warner Bros, who may have been the first to leave red, but will apparently be the last major studio out the door.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:45 AM

Good. Everything needs to be out on one format as soon as possible. I recently switched from HDDVD(as seeing the end was near with the Warner annoucement) to Blu-ray, and all I want is all the movies I love for viewing in HD as soon as possible.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:46 AM

Great news!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:51 AM

IT IS ONLY GREAT NEWS IF....

IF I still get to see There Will Be Blood in High Def on the April release date.

I highly doubt it will be available on Blu Ray, so I'll have to get it on DVD, which F'in sucks.

HD DVD is dead, but I say if they can't get it out on Blu Ray, they should at least honor their stated release dates on HD DVD.

I don't give a damn about the format, I just want to see it in High Def.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmatFriendly View Post
I highly doubt it will be available on Blu Ray, so I'll have to get it on DVD, which F'in sucks.
F*ck*n grow up

If it's not available on Blu-ray on release date, rent it on DVD.

It'll be available on Blu-ray by the time you need to see it a second time.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:58 AM

Nice fanboyish statement there, and I'm the one who needs to grow up?

So wanting to see a film in high def on the announced release date is childish?

hmmm
Old 02-29-2008, 01:01 AM

I have NO idea what Paramount hopes they will gain from pulling a stunt like this and that is exactly what it is. You annouce titles on HD-DVD then should have the BALLS like Warner to commit to it. End of story. It's almost like they are pissed at the HD DVD consumers....why? Not a good public relations move in my opinion. What also baffles me is that they are not annoucing any new titles on BD. It's almost like they are still playing a wait and see game with the format before they commit to it. There is NO reason they can't release one their BIG titles on BD before this Summer.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdman View Post
I have NO idea what Paramount hopes they will gain from pulling a stunt like this and that is exactly what it is. You annouce titles on HD-DVD then should have the BALLS like Warner to commit to it. End of story. It's almost like they are pissed at the HD DVD consumers....why? Not a good public relations move in my opinion. What also baffles me is that they are not annoucing any new titles on BD. It's almost like they are still playing a wait and see game with the format before they commit to it. There is NO reason they can't release one their BIG titles on BD before this Summer.
Dude, i would agree with you if they had not already done this exact same thing before.

I see a pattern in Paramount dropping things with announced titles, Blades of Glory and Transformers anyone?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Dude, i would agree with you if they had not already done this exact same thing before.

I see a pattern in Paramount dropping things with announced titles, Blades of Glory and Transformers anyone?

You are 100% correct and it shouldn't surprise me. As I said they don't have the "BALLS" to follow through with their commitments.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowl-o-rama View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/28/p...-ends-march-4/

We don't know if Jeffrey Katzenberg got a text message, fax, e-mail or smoke signal indicating the format war was over, but Video Business has confirmed Paramount and Dreamworks Animation will (rather abruptly) to stop releasing HD DVDs after next week. If you were looking forward to Bee Movie on March 11, Sweeney Todd on April 1 or the just announced There Will Be Blood, those are cancelled. Into the Wild and the appropriately-named Things We Lost in the Fire will be Paramount's last reminders of its exclusive agreement. Not specifically mentioned was Star Trek: TOS Season 2, but don't hold your breath. Blu-ray release plans are still up in the air but we wouldn't be surprised to hear something soon. As far as HD DVD movies still scheduled, that leaves two from Universal (for now) and twelve from Warner Bros, who may have been the first to leave red, but will apparently be the last major studio out the door.
I just do not understand these studios line of thinking. This is like cutting your nose off to spite your face. Makes no sense whatsoever. If I was in charge at these studios I would want to stay neutral, at least until the end of the year. I mean with almost a million players out there and growing daily because of the fire sales there basically just throwing away sales. I am pretty sure amazon and best buy would make space for a smaller section of hd dvd's if sales warrented it. I am sure hd dvd fans who are thirsty for new titles would gobble them up. I hope Universal and Warner are smarter than this. I see no reason to not keep releasing for awhile. What is the life expanctany of a quality dvd player? At least 5 yrs. or longer. It's not as if the players Toshiba put out were junk. These were high end players that were only priced so cheap to generate sales. I'm not so sure that May 31 will be the last day we see new releases on hd dvd. I still think Warner may try to get some sales by releasing their blockbusters. Who knows with Universal? They haven't exactly embraced blu-ray and were basically dragged kicking and screaming to the party when they had no other choice. As far as Paramount goes, man what a sh--y way to operate a business. Even if you were getting out entirely of hd dvd, what would it hurt to release the last few titles you had already announced? That is basically like taking a big sh-- on the customer and saying they don't matter. I know blu supporters would argue that they did the same to them and now you know how it feels. This is just not true. At the time Paramount dropped blu they were right in the middle of a heated format war and hd dvd was desparate for good news. Since this thing is already decided just go ahead and release the titles and show a little class.