Movies on a flash drive not apt to boom anytime soon! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-23-2008, 06:38 PM

Movies on a flash drive not apt to boom anytime soon!

Movies on a flash drive not apt to boom anytime soon

Earlier this month, we disagreed that HD movie downloads would trump HD DVD / Blu-ray disc purchases in the not-too-distant future, and now we've got yet another clever alternative on deck that just doesn't have the makings of a winner. While it seems that consumers still prefer something tangible when purchasing movies, we can't help but agree that flicks on flash drives just wouldn't work. Aside from the prohibitive cost to pop out a standard DVD on a flash chip versus a disc, the idea of having customers flock to some sort of movie download kiosk to refill memory cards with new releases just seems absurd. Sure, we understand how this could sound marginally appealing from the sidelines, but we just can't imagine all those DVD cases at your favorite big box retailer getting swapped out with movie-filled SDHC cards anytime soon.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/23...-anytime-soon/
Old 02-23-2008, 06:49 PM

Very shortsighted thinking in this article.

Yancy
Old 02-23-2008, 07:03 PM

I would bet the bit rate is something along the lines of 10X of Blu-ray. Anyone know?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:22 PM

You are almost right.

Most of the newer flash drives have a maximum read time rating of 30MB/s and write times of 27MB/s. That's MegaBYTES... not Megabits. That means a flash drive reads at roughly 240 Megabits per second which is over 6X the data throughput capacity of Blu-Ray.

Yancy
Old 02-23-2008, 07:27 PM

Something along this line HAS to be in the future. We are talking about replacing a high speed spinning disc and other moving parts with a much safer, more robust machine with few if any moving parts!! Nirvana!! This has to happen.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:41 PM

gallandro, thanks for the correction.

iontyre, don't forget that the mechanical optical drive takes up a lot of real estate in a set top box.

P.S. USB 3.0 in a year or two?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallandro View Post
Most of the newer flash drives have a maximum read time rating of 30MB/s and write times of 27MB/s. That's MegaBYTES... not Megabits. That means a flash drive reads at roughly 240 Megabits per second which is over 6X the data throughput capacity of Blu-Ray.
So in order to load a 50GB movie onto a flash drive it will take 30 minutes.

I can't see people standing around in a video rental store for 30 minutes when they could just pick up the BD and go. What is the advantage for the customer?

And a 50GB flash disk currently costs about $900!!!!

This has already been tried with CD burning kiosks for music and DVD burning kiosks for movies, it failed miserably as people didn't want to wait around for it to finish burning.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:45 PM

What 50GB movie?

And whats wrong with just renting the flash drive. Drop the one you have off and pick up another preloaded.

If I had a 50GB flash drive and had to stick it in my USB drive overnight or 24 hours to get Lawrence of Arabia, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings at a super bit rate taking up 50 gigabytes of space....I would plug it in right now.

Last edited by romper; 02-23-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romper View Post
What 50GB movie?
There is little doubt in my mind that by the time a flash drive movie could or would happen 50GB movies will be commonplace as well.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romper View Post
What 50GB movie?
So you don't want all the extras, various lossless audio encodes and high bit rate movie encodes that come with BD

So basically your telling me that I have to:

1) Buy a $900 flash card

2) Not lose it or forget to bring it to the video store with me.

3) Stand around for 30 minutes waiting for it to copy.

4) Not get all the features of a BD.

Please someone explain what exactly the advantage of flash memory would be?

It is a very simple question, what would I gain that I currently don't have with BD or even DVD?