"Defecting" to a format--literally! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-23-2008, 01:35 AM

Default "Defecting" to a format--literally!

Here's my slightly anecdotal story...

I bought Planet Earth on HD-DVD this past sunday and while I was watching the first disc, I started getting this skip/freeze problem. Pull the disc out of the machine, and lo and behold, the disc was scratched. Pretty deeply, too.

So I went back to exchange it, and they told me that A) They had none in stock, and B) No, they could not order it. I ended up walking out with a Blu-ray copy of the movie.

I got it home, and popped it into my dual format drive, and UGH!
A lot of scenes had me scratching my head thinking they were in normal definition. The same ones I swore looked so good on HD-DVD.

I'm looking to trade this set for an HD-DVD copy.

Now I can actually say this: I (the customer) did NOT choose this format. Rather, the decision was made for me before I entered the store by somebody else. They had additional unsold copies, but they sent them all away.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:37 AM

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with hddvd scratches too.

The format sucked.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:53 AM

My initial copy of Planet Earth on HD DVD froze, spluttered, and was generally irritating. Sent it back to Discover and got another copy. No problems with this set.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirEncyTheWray View Post
A lot of scenes had me scratching my head thinking they were in normal definition. The same ones I swore looked so good on HD-DVD.
They are the exact same video encodes on Blu as HD DVD in regards to all WB titles (including PE). They should look and sound IDENTICAL. Something is wrong with your setup at this point or you really did get the DVD version.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Here's my slightly anecdotal story...

I bought Planet Earth on HD-DVD this past sunday and while I was watching the first disc, I started getting this skip/freeze problem. Pull the disc out of the machine, and lo and behold, the disc was scratched. Pretty deeply, too.

So I went back to exchange it, and they told me that A) They had none in stock, and B) No, they could not order it. I ended up walking out with a Blu-ray copy of the movie.

I'm looking to trade this set for an HD-DVD copy.

Now I can actually say this: I (the customer) did NOT choose this format. Rather, the decision was made for me before I entered the store by somebody else. They had additional unsold copies, but they sent them all away.
Take off your Red goggles. The transfers on the BD and HD versions of Planet Earth are identical. Maybe something wrong with your player setup?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_grumpy View Post
They are the exact same video encodes on Blu as HD DVD in regards to all WB titles (including PE). They should look and sound IDENTICAL. Something is wrong with your setup at this point or you really did get the DVD version.
my thoughts exactly...
Old 02-23-2008, 02:18 AM

As is noted above the transfers are identical. So either.

a) your player is broken and cant play Blu-rays properly.

b) You havent got it set up correctly.

c) Your a HD-DVD appologist trying to imply that your dead format was somehow better.

whichever one it is it certainly isnt a problem with Blu-ray.

Got to agree with you about scratched discs though. I think the scratch protection on Blu-ray discs is a very undermentioned plus point for Blu-ray.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_grumpy View Post
Yes, but some dual format players suck!

I actually read your post as 'defecating on a format' - or perhaps that would have been a more appropriate title

Last edited by HiDefFanboy; 02-23-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
errm, actually you did choose the format (unless the sales clerk had a gun)

and anyhow, as others have said, a file in a red bucket looks the same as a file stored in a blue bucket so you've not set your player up correctly or the format you choose was sd-dvd
Old 02-23-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefFanboy View Post
Yes, but some dual format players suck!

I actually read your post as 'defecating on a format' - or perhaps that would have been a more appropriate title
Might be time to invest in a better player at that point then.