Nuts!!! I guess I am stuck with an overpriced upconverter - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 AM

Default Nuts!!! I guess I am stuck with an overpriced upconverter

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ps_HD_DVD/1477

Darn!!! Now I have an overpriced upconverter!!! That's ok. I guess I'll have to wait until Blu-Ray drops in price.
Do you think the prices of HD dvds will drop? I hope I can pick some up.
On a side note, I am ticked at Toshiba!!! I will not be purchasing any of their electronics!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 AM

Dude, deep breaths!

Of course HD-DVD prices will drop...so just enjoy the inexpensive movies. If you are really going insane - sell your player here or eBay.

Don't know what you spent on your player, but recent prices are not much more than a 'regular' stand-alone upconverting player.

Oh, If you visit these forums how can you be shocked at Toshiba's decision? Toshiba did what it had to do!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:06 AM

Not shocked. I was just hopeful that it would last a bit longer. Didn't want to feel like I was screwed just 2 months after I got my player.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooperski View Post
Not shocked. I was just hopeful that it would last a bit longer. Didn't want to feel like I was screwed just 2 months after I got my player.
If I was an early adopter who paid >$400 for an HDDVD player I would be pissed. I bought my HD-A2 in August 2007 for $210 with 8 free HD DVDs and my HD-A3 in November 2007 for $89 with 7 free HD DVDs. So, for at least $100 less than the cheapest standalone Bluray player I have two excellent upconverters and 15 movies. The HD-A2 is in my home theater and sees daily use. The HD-A3 is in the living room and is used no more than once or twice a month. In effect, it is a backup player that will keep my HD DVD library free from obsolescence for years to come. I have well over 1700 SD DVD titles and they have never looked better than they do when upconverted to 1080i and viewed on my 106" projection screen.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 AM

We warned you this was happened. This was like a high stakes poker game of 2 vs 6 to begin with. The 2 (Tosh & M$) dragged this out as long as possible but your head was in the sand if you did not see this happening.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Darn!!! Now I have an overpriced upconverter!!! That's ok. I guess I'll have to wait until Blu-Ray drops in price.
On a side note, I am ticked at Toshiba!!! I will not be purchasing any of their electronics!!!
Well, I too am disappointed.
But since I have a bunch of great high def movies that were free and purchased at bargain prices, hopefully with more bargains to come - and a great 1080p/24fps player both for hd-dvd and upconverting for only slightly more than a mediocre $ony standard def dvd player costs, I guess we're ok.
I don't plan to rush to blu-ray either. They have a lot of work to do in the standalone player area before I purchase another player.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Well, I understand since apparently you just bought this. I've been in the game here since 2006. I have many movies to continue to watch, and like you, I'm looking forward to some super-cheap movies soon. However, I will not pay over $15 for another . I will watch the 50 or so I own and enjoy my movies.

I do like, however how Toshiba is committed to continuing to offer customer support for the products. I'd be really pissed if they didn't.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Well, I understand since apparently you just bought this. I've been in the game here since 2006. I have many movies to continue to watch, and like you, I'm looking forward to some super-cheap movies soon. However, I will not pay over $15 for another . I will watch the 50 or so I own and enjoy my movies.

I do like, however how Toshiba is committed to continuing to offer customer support for the products. I'd be really pissed if they didn't.