Will the video game war control the format war, or vice versa? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Which will influence what?
Video game consoles will influence the format war. 28 52.83%
The format war will influence the console war. 8 15.09%
Neither, player prices will drop below console prices. 14 26.42%
Too early to tell. 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Will the video game war control the format war, or vice versa?

I feel this could lead to some interesting debates (for now, lets not include the Wii, as it is a creature all it's own)....

Will video game content push either the PS3 or 360 into the lead, causing console buyers to buy their respective next gen DVD format just because they can, controling the format wars?

Or will the desire for a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player, at a sub $600 price, that has the added features of gaming, control the console wars?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:40 PM

Now, there's a loaded question

Personally, I don't think it'll matter much. Just think about how many 360's have been sold, and how many HD add on's have been sold. Now look at how many PS3's have been sold. If you looked at percentages, I'd be willing to bet that the amount of PS3's that are being used as Blu-ray players aren't significantly different than the amount of HD add ons for the 360. I say this because I know of several people who have bought a PS3, but don't even have an HDTV.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:43 PM

Darko, good point, but one thing I HATED about standard DVDs was that blocking that happens with shadows and such. Even on a standard TV, HD-DVD/Blu-Ray gives better colors and less compression artifcats. Unfortuantly, not a lot of people who haven't experienced it themselves realize this. They just all talk about resolution.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko View Post
Now, there's a loaded question

Personally, I don't think it'll matter much. Just think about how many 360's have been sold, and how many HD add on's have been sold. Now look at how many PS3's have been sold. If you looked at percentages, I'd be willing to bet that the amount of PS3's that are being used as Blu-ray players aren't significantly different than the amount of HD add ons for the 360. I say this because I know of several people who have bought a PS3, but don't even have an HDTV.
Except the PS3 is still considered by many to be the best BR player for the money. I think there are more people than we realize buying PS3s strictly for movie playing. I think this will change when the next generation BR players come out. In the long run, I do not see the video game war being as relevant as it is right now with regards to the format war.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:46 PM

Sony abandoned their gaming community when they forced a Blu-ray player on the PS3.

So they will settle for 3rd place in the console war while they try and dominate the format war.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
Sony abandoned their gaming community when they forced a Blu-ray player on the PS3.

So they will settle for 3rd place in the console war while they try and dominate the format war.

True.

(that is all I wanted to write, but I got an error that my message was too short)
Old 03-07-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post

I agree with you there. This is why I really do not want a PS3 as a BR player. I really do not need three gaming systems in my house when I barely have time to play one.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:22 PM

I think there is a 5th option - they will both influence eachother. Right now the consoles have had a big impact on the format war. In the future I think the winning format will influence the consoles.

If Blu-ray wins, this is going to be a nice feather in the PS3's hat and Microsoft will look bad for selling the next Betamax to many of its customers. If Blu-ray fails, PS3 may be in trouble too.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:58 PM

In a word: No.

...but not because the console market won't be a factor, but because the "winner" of one won't be more important than the differences between implementation.

I predict that the PS3 will roughly catch up with the 360 by year's end...It likely will not surpass it (except perhaps in worldwide sales), but they will be runniing neck and neck for the next few years. However, regardless of who is first second or third in that race you are looking at three very unique strategies:

1. Nintendo: The only company to stick with SD and focus on innovative gameplay. Movies may come later as an option.
2. Microsoft is the only company to offer HD movies as an optional accessory.
3. Sony is the only company to support blu-laser technology for games and movies in a single unit.

One (console or format) winner won't determine the other, neither will the failure of one doom the other. Really the only direct relationship is with the PS3 and Blu-ray where if either the PS3 OR Blu-ray survives, the other will maintain relative value: That is if Blu-ray survives, the PS3 will continue to have value; or if the PS3 survives, Blu-ray will continue as well regardless of the outcome of the format war.

The add-on for the 360, on the other hand, depends on the success of an optional add-on that doesn't bring anything to gameplay...which traditionally haven't done very well. The low price of the add-on has certainly been a boon to HD DVD, but so far the PS3 has obviously been a much bigger factor.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 PM

In all honesty the video game consoles have been extremely important thus far in both of these HD formats life and one could reasonably argue that without the videogame systems that both formats would have failed right out of the gate. That didnt happen tho and the videogames systems have been the leading sellers for both of these formats. However it will reach its limit and if HD DVD or BD ever want to truly be the next gen of DVD then eventually they need to break into the average joe market and its not going to be the video game systems that does that.

So one can easily say that its the videogame systems that have gotten the formats this far but its going to take stand alone players and cheap ones at that to take either of these formats to the next level.