Scandinavian Hifi Store Chain reluctantly going Blu. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-12-2008, 05:50 AM

Default Scandinavian Hifi Store Chain reluctantly going Blu.

http://www.hifiklubben.no/nyheter/hi...ubben/2091.htm

The chain has stores across Scandinavia. (The same chain that approached Denon asking for a quote on a dual format player last fall.)

In their move towards Blu exclusivity, the chain clearly states that since the HD DVD side came with no counter reaction since CES plus WB decision itself the chain arrived at the conclusion to switch to Blu. They add: were the HD DVD Camp to counter the recent changes in the marketplace, Hifi Klubben will return to a dual format stance. They believe the WB decision is the main event to trigger the move to end the format war, coupled with the reaction in the media & within the US Entertainment/electronics industry. They add that they can't recall witnessing such a unanimous reaction to anything from all parts of the industry. Their hope is that a single format marketplace will attract consumers to the benefits of Hidef. They also state that greater software availability for Blu in the future is the reason for the firesale of their "limited/small" stock of HD DVD players.

They also refer to rumours of Paramount following WB move to BD as one of their reasons for believing that hidef software will be dominated by Blu.

To many posters & readers of these forums this news is uninteresting etc. especially following yesterdays HUGE news.

However, for those who remember the good old days of the smackdown forum, where we argued over the merits of each format, conditions/ reactions in the marketplace etc, this might be an interesting discussion point as this particular chain has no political influence in the format war, but rather serves as an indication of perspectives within the industry (but not its' core).
Old 02-12-2008, 05:55 AM
Banned

Warner announcement was like a 7.0 earthquake, Yesterdays news was like a 5.0 and 4.0 aftershock. This would rate about a 1.5. Still a shake none the less! Probably a 2.0 if they didn't sound so enthusiastic!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
Warner announcement was like a 7.0 earthquake, Yesterdays news was like a 5.0 and 4.0 aftershock. This would rate about a 1.5. Still a shake none the less! Probably a 2.0 if they didn't sound so enthusiastic!
They are enthusiastic about hifi equipment & home entertainment... & I suppose I'm enthusiastic about the smackdown forum . Since the article is originally in norwegian, I paraphrased & translated it. So, if it comes off a little awkward, that would be might fault.

The chain is popular among (especially younger) enthusiasts in scandinavia. They tend be very helpful & informative about their products & in their advise to customers.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:10 AM
Banned

I meant enthusiastic towards having to go Blu-Ray only. It sounds like they don't really want to go Blu. Kinda like:
"Since HD-DVD has not responded to the Warner move I guess we'll have to go Blu only, but if HD-DVD ever does something then I guess we can switch back!"
Old 02-12-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
I meant enthusiastic towards having to go Blu-Ray only. It sounds like they don't really want to go Blu. Kinda like:
"Since HD-DVD has not responded to the Warner move I guess we'll have to go Blu only, but if HD-DVD ever does something then I guess we can switch back!"
Ahh Now I see what you mean. They didn't want to dump HD DVD. They previously had a dual format policy. They've been enthusiastic about hi-def since day one. They were among the first in scandinavia to carry the samsung p-1000 along with HD-E1 Toshiba & the following models from Toshiba. Today they opted for the Sharp BD-player, due to its fast load times. They considered the Samsung dual, but opted not to carry it, as one of their big wigs, after gaining firsthand experience with it shortly post IFA felt there were too many compromises with the hardware. What they are really excited about are the Denon BD players coming to Scandinavia in the summer!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
However, for those who remember the good old days of the smackdown forum, where we argued over the merits of each format
The good old days?

Flipping hell mate, you only joined 6 months ago!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerec View Post
The good old days?

Flipping hell mate, you only joined 6 months ago!
That's right! The good old days prior to AVS closing their smackdown, prior to WB. I'm not saying I've been around these boards for forever, but if you'll search through the history of these boards, you'll see that discussions, threads, content has changed since those "old" days.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:43 AM

It's expected, I guess... the closer it is to one format losing or winning, the more desperate and/or irrational the fanatics get...

- T