Are Universal and Parmount clearing out stock through Amazon? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2008, 03:14 PM

Default Are Universal and Parmount clearing out stock through Amazon?

I hate to bring up stupid theories like this. But here it is
Has anybody else noticed that Amazon is NOT handling the current HD-DVD sale the way they have in the past?
In the past (whether it was a BOGO or a 50% off sale), as soon as they ran out of stock on any movies in a sale, the title would then fall off the list, and would no longer be available in the sale.
But with the current sale, instead of dropping off the list, people are able to continue ordering (with a note "available in 2-3 weeks).
I'm just wondering if maybe the studios are using Amazon as a way to clear out their available stock. Maybe they are waiting until their inventory is low enough, before making any official Blu-Ray exclusive announcements.
It's just a thought. I'm not trolling. I'm just wondering if anybody else thinks this is possible. Especially now that Netflix apparently won't be stocking HD-DVD anymore.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:16 PM

A good possibility.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 PM

This is what I've been saying.

Universal is just biding it's time as it ramps up production on Blu-ray.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy View Post
It's just a thought. I'm not trolling. I'm just wondering if anybody else thinks this is possible. Especially now that Netflix apparently won't be stocking HD-DVD anymore.
It's not trolling it is using common sense. The fact that these studios have not made any Q2 movie announcements just fuels this kind of speculation.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:21 PM

Remember all those people talking about BestBuy pulling copies off the racks...
Old 02-11-2008, 03:25 PM

A lot of studios do BOGO type deals, but there's no doubt. The game is over for HD-DVD, so it's in Paramount and Universal's best interest to make deals and move stock so there isn't a pile waiting there when they either cease producing HD-DVDs or when they go neutral and put out Blu-ray content.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Banned

I postulated this in the Price Wars thread a few days ago- mainly trying to decipher the rationale of both HD DVD exclusive studios having 50% off sales (in addition to the bogos and such at BB/CC, even B&N, etc.)

This is especially strange since there has been no response from the BDA (i.e. a countersale, etc.)

Either the BDA is being cocky, or they know this thing is over, and do not need to compete with HD DVD anymore.

Maybe they are trying to let Toshiba "gracefully" bow out by clearing their stuff out, maybe as a nice gesture so they integrate into the BDA.

If bluray was fighting back with countersales, then I would be worried about HD DVD staying around, because the BDA fighting back with countersales would show that they themselves are worried.

However, since we have had no comparable bluray sales in the past few weeks, while HD DVD has done everything (50% off players/movies, bogos, etc.), I think the writing is offically on the wall.

I am going out on a limb and saying that the end of Q1 we will see the shift of Uni and Para (or at least maybe the announcement of the shift). Maybe their shift will coincide with WB, so there is some unity behind the winning format. That would be nice to see, although there are some Uni/Para titles I would like to have on BR now.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:27 PM

I think this is very likely. But not just amazon... Best Buy and others too.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:29 PM

It's probably a way for Universal and Paramount to gauge the interest in their product and see if it can extend beyond just the sale period.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
It's probably a way for Universal and Paramount to gauge the interest in their product and see if it can extend beyond just the sale period.
Not sure I get this. People will buy a lot more of something if the prices are a lot lower than normal (see the 95,000 Toshiba units sold at Walmart on Black Friday). Unless they continue to have these prices for many weeks I don't see how it is gauging interest.