UK: Currys to stop selling HD-DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 AM

Default UK: Currys to stop selling HD-DVD

Still sounds a little hear-say to me, but must be a reliable source for them to publish this:

w w w.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=9468
Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt74uk View Post
Still sounds a little hear-say to me, but must be a reliable source for them to publish this:

w w w.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=9468
Duplicate thread, use the search feature.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:41 AM

That is a bugger if it's true. The Woolies thing was blown out of proportion, but this is admittedly a real shame. Though with the current price reductions, and selling the players as more "Upscalers that happen to play HD DVD" it seems a strange choice to make. (And before anyone says the usual "Oh, so upscaling is just as good" no, it's simply another possible way of getting HD into homes, no different to the PS3, which was effectively "Buy a games machine that happens to play HD movies" and look how that worked! ;-)
Old 02-11-2008, 11:51 AM

It's still unconfirmed, but it looks very much as if DSG International is quietly discontinuing the products: it appears that none of the Web sites for Dixons, Currys, PC World (GB), PC City (FR/ES/IT), Electro World (CZ/PL/HU) or UniEuro (IT) list any Toshiba HD DVD players, and Pixmania (EU-wide online) only lists the XE1 with a note saying "no longer available" on the product page itself. Elkj°p (NO) still has some, though I wouldn't rate that as significant.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:45 PM

I made an article on this on Friday.