HD dvd is not as profitable in Europe? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2008, 03:05 AM

Default HD dvd is not as profitable in Europe?

http://www.dvd-intelligence.com/main...ews_briefs.htm

IN recent developments regarding the insolvency procedure of ODS’s manufacturing plants, eight new HD DVD-ready Singulus Spaceline II lines installed in the company’s Polish plant from December 2006 to March 2007 are offered for sale by the finance company who owns them through second-hand equipment broker Switzerland-based Add-Y-Pac. The asking price is €450,000 the line.

Does this mean that ODS is going to also drop HD DVD fabrication and move on to Blu ray?

Thank you.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 AM

Interesting; however, I would have to say that there isn't enough information there to state that they are even dropping HD DVD. We have no way of knowing how many lines they had (perhaps it's just a massive downscale) and there certainly isn't anything there that suggests they will be backing Blu-ray.

Aside from that, even a massive downscaling doesn't bode well for HD DVD manufacturing.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:28 AM

I posted some info in my other thread about just Sony expanding to 200 millon bluray discs in 2008 so that may have something to do with OSD going bankrupt as HD DVD sales are way lower than they forecasted when they did the initial investment in 2006.

It looks like Universal is starting to get shafted as far as supply from manufacturing facilities:

http://www.dvd-intelligence.com/main...w_for_sale.htm

Before Christmas, the plant operated only at 75% capacity because of shortage of material due to suppliers demanding cash on delivery. Not able to service their clients in house, ODS terminated exclusivity clauses, releasing clients to source products and services elsewhere.

That is what Universal Pictures International, their biggest client, whose pan-European DVD manufacturing and distribution business ODS acquired from Technicolor in November 2006, did.

Hmmm, interesting.

Last edited by Reverend Blu; 02-11-2008 at 03:40 AM. Reason: tired, hard to understand whats on screen, sorry.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Blu View Post
I posted some info in my other thread about just Sony expanding to 200 millon bluray discs in 2008 so that may have something to do with OSD going bankrupt as HD DVD sales are way lower than they forecasted when they did the initial investment in 2006.
I saw that.... a good read. Probably not related, but still.... when you think about it, I think I recall that the US had 14 HD DVD production lines.... if Europe has the same amount, this downscaling could be over 1/2 of the production.

I wonder if there will be ramifications affecting those "blu-ray exclusive" HD DVD imports that people like getting.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
Aside from that, even a massive downscaling doesn't bode well for HD DVD manufacturing.
If it was BD lines, 8 would be massive.

As for HD DVD/DVD lines, that number is hardly worth mentioning.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo4 View Post

Is that so?

Smackdown:
"Europe’s largest optical disc replicator"

Therefore, the marketplace might brace itself for a change of ownership – and name – of Europe’s largest optical disc replicator. The ODS Group boasts the largest CD capacity in Europe with 1.7m units per day and the third largest DVD capacity with 1.25m discs per day. The group operates in the United Kingdom, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Hungary, Denmark, Sweden and Romania. The number of employees had grown from 1,500 to almost 3,000 last year alone. The company started with a staff of 40 back in 1998. 2007 turnover was expected to exceed €300 million. It was €195 million in 2006.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo4 View Post

So, how many production lines are over there? If the US only has 14 (again, something I recall reading.... can't find a link) is the demand that much more over in Europe? Either I'm really tired and my search-fu isn't up to par, or the info is secret squirrel. Could be a bit of both.

EDIT: Just saw Rev's post above me. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:32 AM
Banned

Neither format is profitable anywhere.

Though BD will be, whereas HD-DVD is dying. It will never be profitable.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomba View Post
Neither format is profitable anywhere.

Though BD will be, whereas HD-DVD is dying. It will never be profitable.

Smackdown:

http://www.dvd-intelligence.com/main...1_singulus.htm

Based in Kahl, Germany, Singulus has sold eight Blu-ray replication machines so far, it may book orders for 15 Blu-ray dual-layer machines this year. Analysts' estimates for €23 million in sales from Blu-ray related products in 2008 and for €57 million in 2009 are 'absolutely realistic,' Baustert said in the German newspaper.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:23 AM

Warner claims to have made 63 million dollars more on Blu-ray than hd dvd in 07 despite having 25 more titles on hd dvd, so apparently hd dvd is less profitable in the U.S. also.