Hardware and software, profiles and firmware: Get educated - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-10-2008, 06:22 PM

Default Hardware and software, profiles and firmware: Get educated

I cannot believe I have to write this in a forum frequented by early-adopters of new technology.

Some here have said that HD DVD has profiles and have even gone so far as to say that they are seeeeeeeeecret profiles. They say that these profiles are things like an A3 playing 1080i rather than 1080p. Let me break this down.

You cannot buy an HD DVD disc that will not play all functions on all HD DVD players (unless there is a defect).

You can buy Blu-Ray discs that will not play with full functionality on Blu-Ray players.

Why is this? Well the reason for this is because HD DVD has all the specs formalized so that every disc feature will be read on every player.

If I buy a 1.1 spec Blu-Ray disc, it can have features that do not play on a 1.0 spec player.

For example:

HD DVD Batman Begins has PIP that plays on every HD DVD player.
Blu-Ray Batman Begins will have PIP that will not play on every Blu-Ray player.

Therefore, if you bought a launch Blu-Ray player, then you will not have purchased a complete spec device that will always play all the features of every Blu-Ray disc.

Firmware updates are not profiles either. Firmware simply tells hardware how to function better than it has before. Firmware does not add an entirely new physical feature to old hardware.

This is not hard.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Banned

Profile 1.0 => Windows 95
Profile 1.1 => Windows XP
Profile 2.0 => Windows Vista

Firmware updates => Service Packs

Windows 95 requirements
Personal computer with a 386DX or higher processor (486 recommended)
4 megabytes (MB) of memory (8 MB recommended)
Typical hard disk space required to upgrade to Windows 95: 35-40 MB The actual requirement varies depending on the features you choose to install.
Typical hard disk space required to install Windows 95 on a clean system: 50-55 MB The actual requirement varies depending on the features you choose to install.
One 3.5-inch high-density floppy disk drive
VGA or higher resolution (256-color SVGA recommended)

Windows XP requirements
PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*
Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Windows Vista requirements
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
512 MB of system memory
20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory
DVD-ROM drive
Audio Output
Internet access (fees may apply)
Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 PM

You can buy Blu-ray players that won't do all of the special features on Blu-ray discs.

You can buy HD DVD players that won't show the maximum resolution on HD DVD discs.

Some people don't care about 1080P, some people don't care about all the special features. Personally I'd rather have a 1.0 Blu-ray player over a 1080i HD DVD player.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Profile 1.0= walking
requires legs
Profile 1.1= bicycle
requires steel, plastic, and rubber
Profile 2.0= car
requires electricity, steel, rubber, plastic, glass, gas.

Goal: Moving from point A to B

See I can play that game, too. Keep it to the HD arena please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefimports View Post
Profile 1.0 => Windows 95
Profile 1.1 => Windows XP
Profile 2.0 => Windows Vista

Firmware updates => Service Packs

Windows 95 requirements
Personal computer with a 386DX or higher processor (486 recommended)
4 megabytes (MB) of memory (8 MB recommended)
Typical hard disk space required to upgrade to Windows 95: 35-40 MB The actual requirement varies depending on the features you choose to install.
Typical hard disk space required to install Windows 95 on a clean system: 50-55 MB The actual requirement varies depending on the features you choose to install.
One 3.5-inch high-density floppy disk drive
VGA or higher resolution (256-color SVGA recommended)

Windows XP requirements
PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*
Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Windows Vista requirements
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
512 MB of system memory
20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory
DVD-ROM drive
Audio Output
Internet access (fees may apply)
Old 02-10-2008, 08:17 PM

All profiles can play all movies, and like 99.9% of special features presently on all discs.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:18 PM

There's no firmware updates that fix the poor quality of early HD DVD players. There's no firmware updates that can add 1080p to an A3, or anything that can make the 1080p quality of the A30 actually good. Those are hardware limitations.

Also I know there have been rumours either way, but I think full TL51 disc support is unlikely to work on existing players without hardware upgrades.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 PM

Yes, people make such a big deal of the profiles, they must be trying to get uninformed people to think that not all movies will play. That's why they don't emphasize the fact that the profiles are only for special features.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarakoMeshi View Post
There's no firmware updates that fix the poor quality of early HD DVD players. There's no firmware updates that can add 1080p to an A3, or anything that can make the 1080p quality of the A30 actually good. Those are hardware limitations.

Also I know there have been rumours either way, but I think full TL51 disc support is unlikely to work on existing players without hardware upgrades.
Well except that what we are talking about here are multiple profiles for one format as opposed to one final spec for one format.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestreak View Post
You can buy Blu-ray players that won't do all of the special features on Blu-ray discs.

You can buy HD DVD players that won't show the maximum resolution on HD DVD discs.

Some people don't care about 1080P, some people don't care about all the special features. Personally I'd rather have a 1.0 Blu-ray player over a 1080i HD DVD player.
I get awful tired of this claim.

My copy of Order of the Phoenix has 1920x1080p video at 24 FPS. My Toshiba A3 sends it to me as 1920x1080i at 60 fields per second. My tv set de-interlaces the signal back to 1920x1080p at 30 FPS. Not a single pixel from the disc is lost. I see the same video as I would if the player were sending [email protected]

Now, on a given tv set, [email protected] may look better than [email protected] and if your set can take advantage of [email protected] then it probably gives the best appearance. But that is not equivalent to a programmed feature on a disc (such as PiP commentary) not being accessible at all on a particular player.

If you think that the whole profile issue as raised by HD DVD fans is overblown, that's fine. If you think Blu Ray is the better format, that's also fine. But arguing that having a 1080i player available at a bargain price means that HD DVD has "profiles" just like Blu Ray is only making you look foolish.

Last edited by mschupp; 02-10-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: interlacing s/b de-interlacing
Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindibudd View Post
Profile 1.0= walking
requires legs
Profile 1.1= bicycle
requires steel, plastic, and rubber
Profile 2.0= car
requires electricity, steel, rubber, plastic, glass, gas.

Goal: Moving from point A to B

See I can play that game, too. Keep it to the HD arena please.
My example was a perfect analogy of what profiles are. Your falls apart.

You have the hardware, the OS, and the content.

For Blu-ray it's:
Blu-ray player for the hardware, profiles for the OS, and Blu-ray movies for the content.

For PC, it's:
Computer for the hardware, Windows for the OS, and Games/Software for the content.

What doesn't being Vista ready mean? It means the computer meets minimum requirements for Vista OS.

What does being Profile 2.0 ready mean? It means the Blu-ray player meets minimum requirements for Profile 2.0 OS.

Some video games requires at least Windows XP, or it won't run properly on Windows 95.

Some Blu-ray movies requires at least Profile 1.1, or it won't run properly on Profile 1.0.

Last edited by hidefimports; 02-10-2008 at 08:57 PM.