As a Blu fan, I want to know what's happened to Blu advertising? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-10-2008, 11:31 AM

Default As a Blu fan, I want to know what's happened to Blu advertising?

I'm a 100% Blu fan but I am becoming concerned that Sony and the BDA and other manufacturers aren't getting the promotions out there. I know we have won but Toshiba is doing the advertising now in weekend newspaper sales for electronic stores like Best Buy and Circuit City, with marked-down players, with buy-a-TV get-a-player sales (like Blu did), and with BOGO HD DVD disc sales in the stores and on Amazon. But nothing is coming from Sony or the others except occasional smaller sales barely mentioned in the flyers or on Amazon. And I've not seen any Sony Blu-ray players being advertised lately by the stores.

The new consumer is the one to entice and all they are seeing are HD DVD items. But nothing from Blu? What's going on? It's dismaying to me to see nothing for a few weeks now in the weekend flyers.

We need more sales, more BOGOs, more in-your-face advertising.

What do you think? Is Sony or the BDA about to do something big? What do you think they should be doing to promote Blu more? Or are they just relaxing (big mistake, if that is the case)?

What are your thoughts?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:35 AM

I think they got the message from you guys right here that the war is over. Why throw money down the toilet? They let the 5 free movie rebate expire too. Besides, it's not like money is falling off trees since they do have to attend to compensatory expenses to those assets which gained them the position they enjoy now.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 AM

Well I'm a HD fan,and if BDA really wants to crush HD once and for all they really need to do 2 things.

1) drop price on the 1.1 spec machines to under $200.
2) Since they are sooo good at buying out studios, they need to tell the studios to drop price on their media. It should be $20-$24.99 price range to compete with SD.

Number 2 could be said for Toshiba to keep the war going also

Quote:
think they got the message from you guys right here that the war is over. Why throw money down the toilet? They let the 5 free movie rebate expire too.
So the war in their minds is over, so they are now not going to try and convert SD owners to BR. Instead they will keep market prices high for years and slowly drop price and they are not rewarding new BR purchasers with 5 free movies cause they already got them for over $400? Does that sound like a good idea?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:40 AM

As they lower the coffin in the ground major retailers are trying to clear out their inventory. Everyone expected this after the WB announcement. Even most red ants said it was a good time to support HD DVD because of all the upcoming deals.

Now I don't get why anyone is surprised by all those sales. It was written in the sky after January 4th. What's sad is HD DVD still can't outsell Blu-ray with all those promotions. I guess you can't expect much from a dead format even if they basically give it for free.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:46 AM

There are any number of reasons that the BDA may have reigned in advertising, but the most obvious reason is that CE sales during the first quarter of the year, with the fewest A-list titles tends to be the weakest point of the year and doesn't warrant the most sales. Sales were something like 4 or 5 times as much per week during Q4 vs. Q1 so the BDA would do much better with their cash by actually advertising when people are buying and instead use this time to focus on developing new players, make sure that all specs are taken care of and prepare for Q3 and Q4 2008.

It has nothing to do with the format war, it is basic marketing and finances. You don't spend 100 million dollars advertising when least likely to make sales, you do it when MOST likely to make sales.

As for the HD DVD fanboys wish of sub $200 players... they will have to realize that the CEs that support BD aren't likely to subsidize players to meet your wishes. Instead, they want to build a product based upon sound financial strategy, which is what worked to get them to this point.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyHD View Post
So the war in their minds is over, so they are now not going to try and convert SD owners to BR. Instead they will keep market prices high for years and slowly drop price and they are not rewarding new BR purchasers with 5 free movies cause they already got them for over $400? Does that sound like a good idea?
I wish they felt the same way as some of their overconfident fans do, since HD DVD could use all the help they can get. If they forget about HD DVD by not dignifying their existence and focus solely on SD, then they would be making a big mistake.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corfius View Post
As they lower the coffin in the ground major retailers are trying to clear out their inventory. Everyone expected this after the WB announcement. Even most red ants said it was a good time to support HD DVD because of all the upcoming deals.

Now I don't get why anyone is surprised by all those sales. It was written in the sky after January 4th. What's sad is HD DVD still can't outsell Blu-ray with all those promotions. I guess you can't expect much from a dead format even if they basically give it for free.
The trouble is that Toshiba isn't showing a "we've lost" attitude. If anything, they are being very aggressive. Ken Crane, a very major electronics store for selling TVs and the like, has a 4-page flyer in today's Sunday Los Angeles Times, with the front page saying in large type, "Go Totally Toshiba!" (is that Toshiba's new sales phrase?), and advertising different HD DVD players they can get free with the HDTVs. I found myself bothered by that on two levels: 1. Crane's isn't making the public aware that HD DVD has only two studios (but then they are promoting the TV, really, and throwing in the player, so they can always call it an unconverting player if anyone brings it back), and 2: People who don't know anything about Blu-ray are only seeing advertising for Toshiba. While Crane's has had major sales on Sony and the Blu players along with other Blu brands in the past, this current 4 full-page flyer has absolutely nothing about Blu in it. And, of course, they don't have sales on something unless the manufacturers give them the sales. That's why I thnk Blu should be stepping up to the plate again.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskiessmingatme View Post
I'm a 100% Blu fan but I am becoming concerned that Sony and the BDA and other manufacturers aren't getting the promotions out there. I know we have won but Toshiba is doing the advertising now in weekend newspaper sales for electronic stores like Best Buy and Circuit City, with marked-down players, with buy-a-TV get-a-player sales (like Blu did), and with BOGO HD DVD disc sales in the stores and on Amazon. But nothing is coming from Sony or the others except occasional smaller sales barely mentioned in the flyers or on Amazon. And I've not seen any Sony Blu-ray players being advertised lately by the stores.

The new consumer is the one to entice and all they are seeing are HD DVD items. But nothing from Blu? What's going on? It's dismaying to me to see nothing for a few weeks now in the weekend flyers.

We need more sales, more BOGOs, more in-your-face advertising.

What do you think? Is Sony or the BDA about to do something big? What do you think they should be doing to promote Blu more? Or are they just relaxing (big mistake, if that is the case)?

What are your thoughts?

HD-DVD are quite obviously selling off remaining stock, that's obvious for all to see, yet they are still being comprehensively outsold. The HD-DVD camp cannot hold up the white flag, sales would crash overnight, they wouldn't sell another player/title. Behind the scense however there appears little doubt they are all gearing up for a Blu-ray future.

HD-DVD owners could put together a convincing reason why Warner would support HD-DVD, that was fair enough. But now the move has been made, no one can seriously expect Paramounant and Universal not to support Blu-ray.

Jan/Feb isn't a big selling month, the studios will be gearing up for March onwards.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:02 PM

If they really want to smack HD DVD once and for all, instead of let it prolong, they need to get something big, like cut the PS3 price... or drop tempoary drop the price of their players. "Starting at $149.99, till March 1st".
Old 02-10-2008, 12:03 PM

Maybe they're just waiting for the inventory clearance that Toshiba is currently working on to finish?